Backdating a Mainline/Hornby Dean Goods

Never mind those modern things, what about some proper saddle tanks?

Hi Nick,

I agree - a lovely little 1361 class - exactly what we all need! Bachmann could backdate a Hall for old school 4-6-0s and while we are at it, Hornby could trim a little from the cab end of their Castle too!*

I do think that, as I have said before, given the longevity of some of the early 20th century GWR designs, there probably is a sound commercial case for their introduction. This is good for those modelling the more 'normal' big 4 / BR steam periods as well as the bonus of serving a new market (for them) in the pre grouping field. Sorry for the thread hijack Stefan - back on topic...

All the best,

Castle

* and put the boiler on a diet - ok, this one isn't as simple as I would like it to be!

Good choice of number to go with the livery and boiler. 2441 was one of the last built with an S2 boiler (dome on front ring) but was fitted with an S4 (as in yours) between September 1901 and June 1903. Only one little problem, it looks like you've fitted the later type of lamp irons which weren't introduced until 1903. They should really be square sockets.

Nick

Not sure a tender with modern fenders is quite right for this period.

Good point. I'm not absolutely certain, but I think they were building the Dean 2500 gallon tenders up to 1903 still with coal rails. There is a works grey photo of an early Bulldog, 3419 Evan Llewellyn, in Russell vol 2 in 1903 showing a 3000 gallon tender with side plates, but I don't recall seeing an earlier example.

Nick

Thanks for your input, Gentlemen!

I will have to use the modellers license (again) with the lampirons, along with the tender. I find it hard to draw a definate line between the different liveries. There are plenty of pictures on the Internet with this type of tender in this livery, but when were these pictures taken? It always seem to be "around" this and that year.

I will move the reversing lever though. :jester:

Regards,

Stefan

Good choice of number to go with the livery and boiler. 2441 was one of the last built with an S2 boiler (dome on front ring) but was fitted with an S4 (as in yours) between September 1901 and June 1903. Only one little problem, it looks like you've fitted the later type of lamp irons which weren't introduced until 1903. They should really be square sockets.

Nick

The good choice of 2441 is nothing but luck.

..I will have to use the modellers license (again) with the lampirons, along with the tender. I find it hard to draw a definate line between the different liveries. There are plenty of pictures on the Internet with this type of tender in this livery, but when were these pictures taken? It always seem to be "around" this and that year...

Hi Stefan,

The problem with undated photos from the first decade of the 20th century is that we can only make an educated guess at the date on the basis of features like the lamp irons, tenders, livery, etc. There had been so many minor changes since the 1890s that by the time of the 1906 livery change, and for some years thereafter, it would have been possible to see half a dozen variants together at the same time.

Perhaps the best way to apply your modeller's license might be to claim that there was an error in Swindon's records and 2441 emerged from the June 1903 refit with an S4 boiler. This might just allow a new or modified tender and new lamp irons to have been fitted.

Nick

Archived