Help with getting a flat paint finish.

Jez

I have recently embarked on construction of a new layout and need help and advise on getting a good matt/flat paint finish on Halfords Gloss paints. I am building a Glass plant (No not the flower variety!) and have used Pikestuff wall sections for the main building - I intend on keeping the factory blue finish on these sections, as it comes out quite nicely faded and easy to subtly weather when coated with Tamiya Flat spray.

I am also using a Walthers unloading shed from their Ethanol series, but this comes in a base white colour. I should be able to colour match from the range of Halfords spray paints, but these will obviously come out gloss. Has anyone had experience of matting/flatting the halfords sprays. I am hoping that the Tamiya flat spray will be ok, but don't want to end up with the paints reacting and making a gooey mess. I know 1 or 2 members of the forum have used/experimented with Halfords paints and any advise would be much appreciated.

Here are the buildings in their raw state:

post-7044-0-90289700-1349633019_thumb.jpg

post-7044-0-09138200-1349633179_thumb.jpg

post-7044-0-25387800-1349633218_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Jez

Hi Jez, sorry I can't help with you query as I've only ever used Humbrol and Revell enamel brush painted on Pikestuff and Walthers structures.

I've been reasonably happy with the results on my Palmetto Spur and Deerfield Beach layouts. The buildings on your new layout look really interesting and I look

forward to seeing more.

Mal

You have to be careful that the oil-based gloss paint doesn't affect the subsequent acrylic matt coat - sometimes it will create a patchy white mist effect.

I would strongly suggest that you don't use Halfords' cans for this sort of job, and resort to Humbrol acrylic matt spray for the buildings. It's more expensive, but a can will do the job, for a fiver. You may then not even require a final matt varnish spray, although I'd still recommend one.

Brian

Before you paint the white building, you might want to consider cutting the walls down so the roof slopes to the left at the same angle as the blue building slopes to the right and reversing the roof section. That way you aren't draining all the water between the buildings.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I wasn't happy with the main building in the end, so I resorted to my favorite building kit - Great West Models and it comes in white:

post-7044-0-63252700-1349717697_thumb.jpg

post-7044-0-21791100-1349717735_thumb.jpg

post-7044-0-46855500-1349717761_thumb.jpg

Just a quick spray with matt white and away we go! I intend to try the Lance Mindheim weathering technique using thinned down india ink - anyone tried this?

I see what you mean about the sloping roof Dave - going to be tricky cutting the unloading shed down, but I will give it ago, or open out the truck entrance and spin the building around.

Jez

Like scrambled eggs, once its together, its difficult to separate. 8-)

One thing I always do is photocopy the building kit parts, particularly the wall sections, then use the photocopies to "kitbash " the structure to get what I want. Lets me check door and window locations and sizes, roof slopes, number of stories, where cuts can be made to minimize damage to details etc.

Other plus, you end up with a paper mock up of the building you can use until the "real" one is finished.

I'm sure I've got another Walthers unloading shed unbuilt - I will have a root around when I get chance. It will be a lot easier to cut down - just to decide whether I want a flat or sloping roof.......decisions, decisions!

Not sure about a masterpiece Jordan, but hopefully I will have something to show at TVNAM next year - probably not finished though (Got to have something to show for TVNAM 2014!!) I have already swapped out the 2 main buildings of the Glass-works! :O

Jez

Not sure about a masterpiece Jordan,

Nonsense - of course it will be!! :locomotive:

...but hopefully I will have something to show at TVNAM next year - probably not finished though (Got to have something to show for TVNAM 2014!!)

I must admit from this year's Show that it does feel funny not having something of your own to exhibit..!!

Unfortunately I doubt I'll be able to do anything for 2013... circumstances are not giving me time to do much modelling at all at the moment, never mind build something new.... :(

Archived