Hayling TMD!

AngryMeerkat

I trust the new 08 won't be entering service before Christmas Day :wink_mini:

Phil

Unfortunately not, I heard there 'is a problem with the paperwork' preventing its reallocation to Hayling before the 25th. Even then it needs electrical certification (DCC chip fitment) so it could be in the depot for some time :-(

Mark

Hi Mark,

That 31 respray looks really good. I hope you show us your step by step weathering too :declare:

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee.

I've just painted my other Class 31 today and it is a much better job, I'm gradually picking up this airbrushing malarkey and realising where all my mistakes are. It seems that although the Humbrol acrylic rail colour looks thin enough, it was actually too thick. After trying different thinning ratios I've found the mix that is right, and the colour and coverage are much better. In certain lights on the model pictured you can see where the blue has thin patches and looks green, none of that is present on this model.

As for weathering, I've hopefully got a DVD for Xmas all about weathering so will probably hold off doing anything until then. But there will definitely be a step by step guide to what I do and how I do it, probably with more mistakes than progress haha!!

Another tip I've picked up today - make sure your masking covers properly, otherwise you will end up with a feathered blue line right down the middle of the yellow front you just painted!!

Mark

Mark,

I too think you are doing quite a good job here. I will follow your progress wich interest.

Regarding rusty rails and ballast color (etc.): ask five experts and you will get at least five different answers. So it's better to have a look at the prototype (better several looks) and then choose what fits YOU.

Keep on the good work!

Armin

Hi Mark

Just caught up on what you've been up to over the last couple of weeks. Don't get too hard on yourself, with something new it's always a bit of trial and error and you'd be pretty lucky to nail it first time.

I agree that getting to know your airbrush and mix ratios comes through experimenting is really important.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for the kind comments Armin and Mark.

Armin I agree completely about the ballast colour, everybody has a different opinion on what's "right" and it's a very subjective issue. As Hayling isn't based on a prototype as such I'm planning on using a wash to colour the ballast back to 'as new' then weather as per pictures of the 1980s I find on Flickr. This should offer a nice contrast in colours and show up the dirt closer to the rails more when in contrast to the cleaner outer ballast. I'll experiment and post pictures in the near future as I'm currently experimenting with Tarmac.

Mark you've hit the nail on the head with the airbrush issue. As Armin said, 5 experts will offer 5 different ways. I had hoped my career as a sprayer would stand me in good stead, but airbrushing turns everything I know on its head. But the more I practice, the happier I am with the results, which is what gives that 'buzz' when modelling.

And let's face it, if everything went perfect first time, we'd never learn anything and would get bored very quickly!! I think all modellers are problem solvers at heart, it's what makes this hobby so enjoyable!!

Mark

An additional advice, if I may, Mark:

when looking at the prototype, I would never rely on photos of prototypes (I've done enough darkroom work to know what I'm speaking about). A bright example is the first photo in your own post #5 above, which suffers from a heavy blue cast.

So better rely on your own eyes.

Armin

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update, as recent work has either been mundane or non existent.

Hayling TMD has another allocation - 40 075 is the new resident.

post-16914-0-58679900-1356179871_thumb.jpgpost-16914-0-43314900-1356179906_thumb.jpgpost-16914-0-66951300-1356179938_thumb.jpg

Just need to work out how to separate the chassis and body and fit a DCC decoder, but other than that it looks a very fine beast and something I look forward to weathering early in the new year.

Also visible in the last picture is my pile of repaint projects in various states of completion. The complete 31 is the loco already mentioned in this thread, while the shell on the frame is almost complete as refurbed 31-4. The 37 in the background is about to become my next victim when I find a suitable prototype to copy. All will be fitted with flush glazing and Express Models lighting kits in due course, time and finances allowing.

I will soon be returning to work on the layout itself, as I have an idea to improve operating potential ....... Helix!!

Mark

Is the '40 a bachman beast per chance Mark?

Sean

It is yes, and a very nice if very heavy model!!

I've done some research and it turns out this is already DCC ready (8 pin), so all I have to do is try and get the screws out that are hidden under the bogies.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

It appears I'm having trouble uploading pics, but here's a quick update on Hayling anyway with pics to be added when possible .....

The area under the bridge is almost finished, it has a Tarmac base with various paths and grassy areas added to show an area in little use. I will be adding some bushes to this area which will sit against the fence.

I've also finished ballasting the area around the depot, and added a Tarmac flat area between the ballast and the fence which will be suitably blended in and weathered as time allows.

I've also finished all my repaints, just in time to start my weathering. Speaking of which my Tim Shackleton Weathering DVD arrived today, and so far I'm not exactly overwhelmed. I'm hoping its just the fact that I've only watched the DVD and not copied it, but so far I've seen nothing that isn't on YouTube, no secret detail, or instruction. It's "just a DVD of a guy airbrushing a model with 4 colours, and he doesn't even tell you how much of each colour he uses". I'm still open minded, and hoping for more on disc 2.

Mark

post-16914-0-09179100-1357332643_thumb.jpgpost-16914-0-09568400-1357332477_thumb.jpgpost-16914-0-21259400-1357332839_thumb.jpg

Looking good. I haven't made any progress on my own layout over the christmas season (maybe the problem lies in too many mince pies?) and I look forward to more tasty progress pictures

Luckily I hate mince pies, and the lack of a job has offered me plenty of time (but a lack of money!!).

Not really much progress on the layout, but have been playing around at weathering stuff instead. Please see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66824-weathering-my-1st-ever-attempt/ for my first attempt at weathering some engines.

Thanks,

Mark

• 2 months later...

Archived