LNWR Ground signal...Help please.

I have given this a wider airing to (hopefully) attract the atttention of LNWR modellers and signallers amongst you. I need a ground signal as illustrated below. A kit would be handy but I can build one if someone can supply good photos. Thank you in anticipation.

Photo taken circa 1954 at Greenfield.....

post-6680-0-69028400-1349775907.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The last survivor was at Aber (yes - the one down the road from you) on the down refuge - it went ca 1976 (just avoided me photographing it).

LNWR signalling has information on them

• RMweb Gold

I've just remembered, the Ratio LNWR signal kit includes four LNWR ground signals. They are listed as available at various stockists..

I did make some a long time ago for a previous layout so can't remember much about them!

David

Thanks Dave Beast. I had a feeling it was revolving but wondered if my thoughts were tinged with North American practice. Anyway I got as far as DaveF's post and immedietly ordered a Ratio LNWR signal kit. Looks like the LNWR semaphore ground signals will have to do.

I was offered some scatchbuilt LNWR signals but none are applicable to my situation unfortunately. Re. the photos at Rugby, the third coach is in experimental (LNWR) split white and plum livery.

• RMweb Premium

The LNWR had two distinct types of ground signal. Up to 1915, the used a rotating lamp type, which is what is in the first photo. After 1915 they introduced a new type, which is the miniature arm illustrated in the second & third photo. It is the latter type, which is contained in the Ratio kit.

Full details, including good drawings and photos of both types, are in Richard Foster's book on LNWR signalling.

Quite honestly, you could get away with a very basic box (perhaps made from plasticard or a right sized plastruct/evergreen section) for the rotating lamp type, mounting it on a brass wire pivot, as long as you had the drawing to get the size right. A blob of something for the lens and a spot of paint and I reckon it would take all of ten minutes!

• RMweb Gold

That's the third of the 2 types ( :P ) ... The flap front.

It's difficult to see if it's a flap or a rotating signal which has not had discs fitted to it, the base looks cylindrical but it's unclear.

But this is the one Ratio make.

post-6662-0-28758200-1349805392.jpg

post-6662-0-04165600-1349805420.jpg

It's difficult to see if it's a flap or a rotating signal which has not had discs fitted to it, the base looks cylindrical but it's unclear...

I thought at first that it was some form of flap type, but the last two photos suggest it rotates when the lever is moved.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

I thought at first that it was some form of flap type, but the last two photos suggest it rotates when the lever is moved.

Nick

Yes, you are right :senile: - thats the problem with typing and helping kids write and print their homework, the brain gets overloaded.

Using the Ratio kits is a good solution for Coach in any case.

It's difficult to see if it's a flap or a rotating signal which has not had discs fitted to it, the base looks cylindrical but it's unclear.

But this is the one Ratio make.

post-6662-0-28758200-1349805392.jpg

post-6662-0-04165600-1349805420.jpg

Any chance of a picture of the front of the two miniature arms beast66606? The arms look like they are held on with five halfwit bolts?

• RMweb Gold

Any chance of a picture of the front of the two miniature arms beast66606? The arms look like they are held on with five halfwit bolts?

Haven't got one scanned I'm afraid, I'll try and scan one on Thursday - but no promises, depends on work.

I am overwhelmed...........A lot more valuable information than I expected...Great! I have a Ratio LNW signal kit on order and will write to Wizard Models tomorrow as their online shop is not available.

Thank very much to everyone. Much appreciated. :good:

Larry

• RMweb Gold

If you want a brass version of the miniature arm type, Scale Signal Supply do a 4mm and 7mm scale etch.

My post http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1

details how I built it up.

I also cut one down for a single arm version, which is documented in http://www.rmweb.co....ly/page__st__25

starting at Post no. 28.

Steve.

Archived