Those awfully nice 16 ton mineral wagons

jeff alvey

• RMweb Premium

It shows which end of the wagon the end door is located - in many locations including ports the wagons were empted by being tipped and so needed orientating the correct direction for the tipper.

Some wagons have a white chevron pointing downwards indicating that the wagon has a door in the wagon floor.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Bloody marvelous gentlemen!

It has bugged me for years. I didn't think it was a "go faster stripe" but was fairly sure it must have had some significance.

Now you have so kindly and quickly provided the (now obvious) answer I can relax.

Thanks again - what a site this is !!!

Jeff

As Steven B has already mentioned ports were amongst the locations where wagons were tipped on coal hoists

for this reason they all needed to be the same way round.

post-7081-0-01923900-1349798589.jpg

Not 16t minerals, but their larger cousins, 21t minerals (MDOs), seen here in the East End Sidings at Swansea Docks,

they are too distant and rusty to clearly make out the diagonal white stripes but note how they are all arranged with

the end door at the end nearest the camera. 08259 is about to haul a rake of them down to the coal hoists, 9/11/83

cheers

I'm not sure that many yards had wagon turntables but the coal tips at Barry Docks certainly did - hand operated if I recall correctly.

Chris

Swansea had them on the approach to the tips (IIRC, the tips were at 90 degrees to the approach tracks.); given the wagons would almost always have worked to and from the same locations, once they had been aligned correctly the first time, they would have remained so. That is, until some sent them on a route with an unscheduled reversal, such as running from Pantyffynnon into Llandeilo Junction yard, or from the District Line via Briton Ferry Yard, rather than to the docks. There was a triangular junction about where the photographer was standing, which could be used to turn entire trains; I suspect it fell out of use in the mid-1970s, when the Morriston branch shut.

The GWR did have some end-door wagons with doors at both ends.

• 4 months later...
attachicon.gif B018.JPG

A 16T mineral wagon being discharged through the end door at Niddrie Landsale Yard, Edinburgh in 1971/72

Jeremy

So, looking at the photo, each wagon would have to be the same way round, detached, shunted singularly into the tippler and unloaded and shunted away separately?

Must've taken some time to empty a long train.

Jim

Ah......

I was looking at the pulley cables as if they were in front of the wagon. I think they are either side of the rails.

So you would be able to push the wagons through and detach each one to empty it but then just push it though with the next one?

Jim

Ah......

I was looking at the pulley cables as if they were in front of the wagon. I think they are either side of the rails.

So you would be able to push the wagons through and detach each one to empty it but then just push it though with the next one?

Jim

That would seem to be the case. There were similar set-ups elsewhere, at Lincoln, and at Corrall's (Dible's Wharf), but these used two tipping platforms, tipping towards the middle, so that wagons could be tipped regardless of which end the door was at. IIRC, there are some photos on here:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/collections/72157626615799749/

That would seem to be the case. There were similar set-ups elsewhere, at Lincoln, and at Corrall's (Dible's Wharf), but these used two tipping platforms, tipping towards the middle, so that wagons could be tipped regardless of which end the door was at. IIRC, there are some photos on here:-http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/collections/72157626615799749/

There is a youtube clip there too:

Very interesting!

Are there any OO/HO kits available of some kind of wagon tippler?

Jim

There is a youtube clip there too:

Very interesting!

Are there any OO/HO kits available of some kind of wagon tippler?

Jim

The only ones I've seen have been scratch-built. They're probably not that difficult a project, though finding a way to top-hinge the end doors, yet find a way of keeping them locked in transit would be more difficult- mind you, this could be a problem on the prototype..

A rotary tippler might be easier in operational terms.

The only ones I've seen have been scratch-built. They're probably not that difficult a project, though finding a way to top-hinge the end doors, yet find a way of keeping them locked in transit would be more difficult- mind you, this could be a problem on the prototype..A rotary tippler might be easier in operational terms.

Hmmmmmmm,

I might have the tippler in a shed so I can "simulate" the operations!

I didn't attach the YouTube link to Barrington Quarry

Jim

Hello.

I have vague memories of Hornby making something like this some years ago (1970s/1980s) complete with a wagon - probably a wooden 7 plank - with operating end door.

Rather than tipping into the ground I think it tipped into a hopper which could then be used to fill something that was underneath.

Hope this helps.

I don't understand why the youtube link doesn't post?

I copied it and it shows on the text box before posting but disappears once I have posted it.

Jim

Hello.

I have vague memories of Hornby making something like this some years ago (1970s/1980s) complete with a wagon - probably a wooden 7 plank - with operating end door.

Rather than tipping into the ground I think it tipped into a hopper which could then be used to fill something that was underneath.

Hope this helps.

Yeh!

I remember that sort of thing.

As a kid I always wanted the hopper unloading set with a "consett" hopper wagon that auto opened and closed. I had just "discovered" the hopper unloading siding at Allington Quarry near Maidstone.

I eventually found a set at a exhibition 35 years later!

Jim

Archived