Bachmann rechassied A4 evaluation

34theletterbetweenB&D

• RMweb Premium

So... of anyone that has bought one please; how is the revised chassis? There's no discernible information on line that I have turned up. Is it a quiet and smooth runner, how does the chassis appearance rate, will it whip along on level track at a scale 110mph with a decoder fiited?

Yes, I'd be interested to know, too. I was discussing this with Andrew P yesterday, as I know he has "Dominion of Canada" on order. The bodyshell has always been inferior to the Hornby, but if the performance is up-to-spec it'd be worth considering.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Tony Wright had one some considerable time ago for review, and I did see it run I think. Anyway, TW's view was that it is now an excellent chassis, as are those for the B1 and V2. Shame about the body though. As I recall it ran beautifully, but may not have been able to handle some of Tony's longer trains. Having said that they are 11 to 13 coach rakes, and most of the stock is kitbuilt.

I was thinking of posting an update on my Blog - perhaps later. I have Willie Whitelaw. I cannot comment on DCC but on DC it runs super smooth and with a stack of lead in the space for the decoder it will pull what I need - seven Bachmann Mk1s up 1 in 58 grades. The motor appears to have more torque than the previous setup. The A4 also seems to be more powerful than the new V2 which I have Blogged about.

Regards

Ray

Sounds promising as a mechanism, when one is acquired it will receive weight as a matter of course. (Class 8 passenger traction is made up to as near 500g on the coupled wheels as required under my weighting scheme.) To date among larger OO models only the Bachmann 9F and Hornby Britannia have been supplied with getting on enough weight on board. Generally I prefer Bach's chassis as easier to work on than Hornby, and the Cartazzi truck arrangement is vastly superior.

• RMweb Premium

I have to agree with the above correspondent with regard to the haulage capabilities of the Bachmann 9F and Hornby Britannia. For those interested I have put some of my thoughts down about the new Bachmann A4 with DCC ready chassis in a new Blog entry.

Regards

Ray

Very useful Ray. I'll keep an eye on your blogs from now on. I'm no A4 expert, but the models look pretty "Streakish" to me.

Btw, what camera and lighting did you use for the excellent photos?

Jeff

......Btw, what camera and lighting did you use for the excellent photos?

Jeff

Jeff

Thanks for those kind words. I too have just discovered your Blog - we will read more (especially since we were dragged up on Teesside and have teaching connections)

In answer to your specific question I use a Fujifilm FinePix S8100fd (f4.7 - 84.2) 18X 10mpixel - which is becoming a little dated. The detail pictures are usually 'taken' with a macro. You cannot use flash with the macro so I have to rely on daylight from the kitchen window. This afternoon was so miserable that the daylight was supplemented by the halogen downlighters (hence the slight yellow tinge). The layout pictures have to be flash or if I want sharp detail I use aperture mode - in effect a time exposure using the light from the fluorescent tubes.

Keep watching

Regards

Ray

• 3 months later...

I bought "Sir Nigel Gresley" (31-954B), and it does look superb.However, the leading bogie and tender constantly derail on my Hornby set track points. I sent it back to the retailer, but the replacement does exactly the same. My Hornby A4 runs superbly over the same track with no problems whatsoever. Has anyone else encountered this problem ?, and if so, how can the problem be solved ?.

I bought "Sir Nigel Gresley" (31-954B), and it does look superb.However, the leading bogie and tender constantly derail on my Hornby set track points. I sent it back to the retailer, but the replacement does exactly the same. My Hornby A4 runs superbly over the same track with no problems whatsoever. Has anyone else encountered this problem ?, and if so, how can the problem be solved ?.

Better track maybe? Just a thought.

...However, the leading bogie and tender constantly derail on my Hornby set track points...

Don't have this model, but the standard advice I would give is to run both the loco alone and the tender alone through the trouble spots. What you want to know first is whether the vehicles have an intrinsic problem that causes them to derail. If they do then it is close observation to observe what is happening.

If they don't derail on their own, then it is the interaction of the two vehicles causing derailment; and that is usually do with the the coupling between them. Is there a choice of coupling distance? If so attach them at the larger separation and try again.

Archived