JIDENCO Drummond 0-4-4 Tank BR lined livery

I am in the process of building a JIDENCO HR/LMS 0-4-4T Passenger tank locomotive. I wish to model the last survivor number 55053 which was painted black in fully lined out Livery. This being light grey/white black and red for black mixed traffic locomotives. From the photograph that I have of it the front wheel splasher/sandbox is lined out as well as the rear under footplate sandbox as well as the wheels. Now my problem is that as I all I have is a black and white photograph what was the colour of this lining . I am guessing here I would say red. However does anyone know for sure.

Lastly I wish to fit a suitable shed code plate on to the bottom of the smoke box does any one know what the correct code would be.

Guest Belgian

It looks very much like a mini-Drummond M7. He did draw up plans for a light 0-4-4T for the Lyme Regis branch when it was being built but some second-hand Stroudely 'Terriers' became available and the parsimonious LSWR bought them instead. I reckon this is what Drummond would have produced . . . a beautiful little thing and a beautiful model.

JE

• 1 month later...

I have finally got around to a very rough write up of the build of this kit sorry about the delay

post-16182-0-78370600-1353260694_thumb.jpg

The foot plate valances as per the building notes provided had to be cut down as well as the buffer beams as what was the kit designer on when he produced them as in 4mm scale they would be 1’6” !! So I soldered them on to the footplate with the top overhanging and then filed them down using the top of the foot plate as a datum. For the chassis I used the wheel bearings as supplied as the OD was non standard plus Markets square frame spacers which I screw together made sure that all wheels touched my plate glass before soldering up. As regards to the high level road runner gear box all I did was follow the instructions to the letter and lo and behold a very nicely running gearbox. Also using the extension I had the spur gears folding underneath so as to get the motor gear box assembly as far forward as possible due to the fact that this is a 0-4-4 wheel arrangement with all its balancing problems. For the pick ups I used Phosphor bronze wire diameter 0.6mm for Eileens Emporium.

post-16182-0-57053600-1353260731_thumb.jpg

Once I had got the chassis running nicely I fitted the brake gear and made up the rear sandboxes form plastic card as the supplied white metal castings were in my opinion no good.

When making up the body the first thing I had to do was file out the cab openings so that they were lower by about 1mm than the tank tops I then used 0.3 x 1 mm brass strip for the cab beading. I found that the solder covered any slight errors in my filing out the cab openings. Also I had to reposition the front spectacle plat by about 0.5mm so that it lined up with the front of the cab sides so I removed the tabs at the bottom of the front spectacle plate. As a result of this I had to make a new cab roof as the one supplied was about 1mm too short. For the beading on the roof again I used from Eileens Emporium 0.3 x 1mm brass strip

post-16182-0-66332200-1353260763_thumb.jpg

Here is the loco ready for the paint shop. I have fitted a smoke box door from 247 as the supplied one was not even close in appearance as well as a firebox back head in the cab. Also for balance purposes I have filled the front section of the boiler with fluid lead. Filling the liquid lead took ages! But the loco balances on to the driving wheels.

post-16182-0-13879400-1353260804_thumb.jpg

I primed the body and chassis using Halfords enamel primer for the chassis I used Halfords Matt black whilst for the body I used Precision paints gloss black sprayed using my airbrush. The cab interior I used precision paints BR coach cream.

For the lining of the wheels I used my Bob Moore's pen and my Heath Robinson turntable set up to line them that took two attempts to get it right.. On the body I used the bob Moore's pen for the front splasher and valance lining and Fox Transfers for the rest of the lining. As regards to the foxes transfers for the grey red lining I put on the grey and red first and then left it for 48 hours and when I came to put the black inside parts on there was no problems apart from being time consuming also I misjudged how many corners I needed however with there excellent service within two days I got another set of corners.

Once I had finished all the lining I gave the body a coat of Precision Paints Satin Varnish left it for two days and then glued on the cab roof and fitted to the chassis. On test the loco runs very nicely and does balance towards the front so the liquid lead does do its job.

Below are some photos of the completed engine. Any by the way thank you for the information about the colour photos as one of then showed the bunker rear lining out and without them I would have not known about this.

post-16182-0-01786000-1353260351.jpg

post-16182-0-71206900-1353260375.jpg

post-16182-0-61365100-1353260409_thumb.jpg

post-16182-0-50734700-1353260434_thumb.jpg

I see back upthread you worked from photos : was lining the wheels a works peculiarity? Most unusual under BR I'd have thought. Nice job from a Jidenco kit, though.

Thanks glad you like it from the photos the wheels and sandboxes were lined out in this example which was unusual for BR and I think perculiar to this locomotive,

Archived