Brass annealing advice please.

• RMweb Gold

I would like some advice please on the best method to apply heat evenly on 12 thou (IIRC) brass in order to form an approximately 280mm long 4mm coach roof. I assume that an even dark red colour would be neccessary all along the length at the same time for the process to be successful.

Using a GW Models 12" roller machine has been tried originally to get the shape without annealing the brass but was unsuccessful as the centre radius did not end up as much as at the ends.

Thanks.

Given that heat transfers pretty quickly through brass, I'm not sure an even heat is required. I could be very wrong as I simply just do not do coaches in any way so that is quite a length but if no better suggestion comes in, I would simply use the mark 1 blowtorch/soldering flame and heat it up to usual glowing red working it up and down the length. IIR my physics the annealing process is no undone by further heating and only hardened by bending, beating or stretching (other techniques described in 50 shades of grey might work)

I always use a big blow torch the sort used for soldering plumbing fittings. I lay the brass on a bed of dry sand and waft the flame up and down the length warms up very quickly and evenly. Hot sand is also good for blueing silversteel.

I would be nervous trying to anneal brass that thin as it will probably distort.

May I suggest you lay the roof on some soft cloths, dusters perhaps, and roll the centre with a brass rod of suitable diameter, 3/4" ought to be about right, and longer than the roof. Press hard, work it from side to side and this will form a sharper radius in the centre.

Chris Turnbull

Archived