Bekonscot Gauge 1 model railway.

Afternoon All,

I paid a visit to the superb Bekonscot Model Village with its splendid Gauge 1 model railway recently, the first time since I was about ten years old! Even if one didn't have an interest in model railways it would be worth going there, but the railway really does make it something special. For the benefit of those that have never been there, and even for those that have, there are some pictures of both the railway and the village on my Flickr site; this is the first one and clicking on it will enlarge it and take you to the others :

8091621353_030e9926ea_m.jpg

RD7623. 4-6-0 at Bekonscot. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

Hope that they are of interest.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to school in Beaconsfield, and was a regular visitor to Bekonscot in the 1990s when I was little. I remember many happy summer days running round feeling like a giant (rare for a 7 year old). What it lacks in prototypical accuracy it makes up ten times over in charm - a lesson for us all I think! Thank you for reminding me of happy times.

• 2 months later...

Glad you enjoy it! I've been lucky enough to work and volunteer there for most of my life. There's a cracking team of enthusiastic and skilled people there on the railways, gardens, in modelmaking, customer services and behind the scenes. And it's raised a fortune for charities - millions over the years. 

You might care to see this vid (I may have posted this years ago here) that I made - 

a driver's eye view of the railway. 

Been there more times than I can remember when I lived in the area. First time would have been the mid-1950s. Even wagged off school with a bunch of mates once and went there!

Wonderful place. If you've not been, I can heartily recommend you get there as soon as you can.

steve

• 2 months later...

We took the kids there last week. It's always a hit. I've been going since the early 70's. It has been an inspiration to do thing's outside. I feel my garden railway will gain a castle this year. The Wsetinghouse L frame is nice. Every garden railway should have one.

• 2 months later...

Likewise, my mum reminds me when I fell on the tracks having peered a bit too close......

Came up with lovely greasy tracks on my favourite Lego t shirt...

That would have been 1977....

Took my two there in 2011, still a great place !

Archived