Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

Hi Rick,

I do like the Hymeks, the Gresley looks nice too.

I might have a spare power unit for your Hornby 7067 if you want it. Have you thought about two motors I did it to a class 25 it runs quite well.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter and thanks.  I'm not sure what the problem is with 7067 but if it's the same as other "old Hornby" stuff it simply doesn't like running on half-decent track and it's a combination of the back-to-backs being too skinny and the pickups simply not doing what their name suggests.  The old Hornby Westerns (now extinct here) and 37s (still have one because it came with a handy dummy "twin") are just as bad.  Not the end of the World.  I got those locos when I was still wondering if I could build anything at all never mind get it to run.

No worries Rick, I think the one I have is an old type one, plus I have spares, wheels armatures etc. Happy to have a look at it for you, I have had a few over the years and managed to keep them running.  My double motored class 25 has extra pick ups and no traction tyres with added weight it's really not too bad.

Cheers Peter.

That Gresley buffet looks good. I bought a maroon one for occasional use on my lines as the SR did have a few of them (even on the S & D as well). I also have memories of seeing a pristine blue and grey one in the bay at High Wycombe in 1984 (no idea what it was doing there!).

I like your weathering on both of those Hymeks, too.

As you know, I am not averse to running things that don't really belong on my layout so, as far as I am concerned, you don't have to justify running whatever takes your fancy on your own layout! I even went as far as renovating and detailing my old Triang-Hornby Hymek and paintng it maroon with grey trim - totally fictional but it looks good! :)

• RMweb Premium

Not wishing to feel left out the GWT Merlin HST set put in an appearance today.  This is the older version with a Lima-style single-bogie pancake motor and less refined detailing.  It is also the only livery in which a TGS has not been released meaning my 2+8 set runs with a TS as coach A.  But it's otherwise quite convincing and carries a livery which I personally liked a lot and which lasted only a very short time.

Almost totally irrelevant, but after all the years since I still use the GWT Merlin golf umbrella I got at the launch. About the only one I haven't lost on a train... Can't believe how long ago it is now.

But I still prefer your photos when you're running 1970s BR Blue :yes: . Keep them coming... and the Steam L/E Dapol Western Enterprise when that arrives.

• RMweb Premium

Fear not - BR blue will return before too long.  Almost everything is packed away tonight and will be in air-conditioned comfort during tomorrow when the temperature is forecast to reach 39C.  It's usually about 5 degrees more than the forecast figure under the layout roof.  Anything over 35C is the cue to pack up as I don't want to risk anything suffering from heat distress.

What goes out at the weekend when it cools down a little is yet to be determined ;)

It's not just the trains that can suffer from heat stress! Always wise to stay indoors if at all possible when the weather goes like this. Thankfully it should cool off a bit on Friday and the weekend.

• RMweb Premium

Couldn't see the dyke alongside the road

What other word can mean a ditch, a wall and a woman? 

And what other word is there where the actual intent is not necessarily apparent from the sentence it is used in as per Stewart's post?   ;)

It's one of those quirks of the language which sometimes raises a wry smile here.  It raised a smile when Billy Connolly observed that there was "A dyke peering o'er the dyke into the dyke"

And now back to the storyline!

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Fear not - BR blue will return before too long.

And as if by magic a box arrived all the way from Camborne this morning with a shiny new blue diesel!  After a test run she didn't stay shiny for long.  Here's D827 "Kelly", the latest release of the Bachmann class 42, looking "proper" with a light weathering and in charge of a train of vans despite the class 1 headcode.  Fitted headcodes are for Exeter - Waterloo (1O08) and Waterloo - Exeter (1V11) workings upon which D827 was one of the last of its type in use.

DSCN7378_zps80d7a2cc.jpg

Each release of this long-serving model seems to be tweaked in some way.  The previous version had over-bright marker lights and headcode illumination which is repeated on this version but now we have the white diamond coupling code correctly stamped onto the buffer beam which has not appeared before. 

"Plumbing" added together with my light weathering

DSCN7377_zpsab3d7117.jpg

And the panoramic view over the beach car park 

DSCN7387_zpsb7ce14f7.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I was asked this afternoon if I could turn the kettle on.  So I duly obliged ;)

Waiting for the train to be loaded .....

DSCN7397_zps8a6ad240.jpg

Waiting "time" with the Wenford Goods while discussing the evening's social agenda .....

DSCN7404_zpsdeda9e7c.jpg

A busy scene with the well-tank on clays, a GWR pannier on milks and a T9 with a rake of elderly parcel vans running past

DSCN7401_zps9450814a.jpg

And just to prove that I have managed to shoe-horn two crew members into the Beattie!

DSCN7399_zpsbaf7a2e7.jpg

• Like 11

As always, lovely photos and lovely models.

As an aside, Kernow's newsletter this week is listing two of the Beattie Well Tank versions with sound fitted. I had enough difficulty getting an ordinary decoder in mine, let alone a sound decoder and speaker! I'm wondering how they have done it!

• RMweb Premium

Spotted that.  And the BR ones were supposedly sold out ages ago meaning it's no surprise if you click on the link to the BR one it says the product can't be found.  The SR one on the other hand .....  I'd love to know how they do that and had thought perhaps they were the O-gauge version but apparently not.

• RMweb Premium

After several years tucked away in the box I have finally unearthed the etched "Falcon" plates for class 53 no. 1200 which has also been weathered and posed for the camera at Darras Ground Frame

DSCN7480_zps0e8f1463.jpg

DSCN7483_zps13b2dafc.jpg

And a trio of green diesels was captured at the clay dries

DSCN7478_zps8ff358f2.jpg

It has been brought to my attention in discussions about Cornish traditions that one scene not represented on the layout currently is a wishing or holy well with the bushes around adorned with "clouties" as found at locations such as Madron and Sancreed in west Cornwall.   Clouties are (or should be) shreds of clothing belonging to a sick person which are tied to the trees around the well.  The idea being that as they fade away so the illness recedes and disappears.  

In practice too many clouties found today are synthetic - even strips of plastic carrier bags are used - and which do not rot which spoils the effect and the environment.  A volunteer network exists to maintain the sites in reasonable order whilst respecting the tradition.

Accordingly a small scene will be developed to represent this over the coming weeks and will be shown in due course.   I have the location already and it will only take a little ground work and a small pour of Magic Water to achieve what is required.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

It will be a medium-sized diorama featuring a fictitious but typically remote outback crossing place and is being designed and built to sit on top of a low bookcase.  It would also be easy to move and therefore potentially available for exhibition in due course.

• Like 1