What causes the sideways rocking motion in some model locos ?

brian777999

Dog knotted and trying to disengage?

But seriously, you need to take a careful look at how the drive line components act in forward and reverse. RTR OO locos are not precision assemblies, and small inequities can easily show up more noticeably in one direction. Is it a regular rock, once per rotation of the wheels and always with the peaks of motion in the same position? If so, try taking the conecting rods off and see if it still happens as a first probe.

I did try to edit the subtitle but the edit button no longer works. I am not sure why but there have been a lot of upgrades to RMWEB recently and I cannot get some things to work like they used to.

To use the edit button on the first post use the right click button on the mouse.

The rocking motion could be caused by the quartering of the wheels being out. I had a similar problem with a Hornby terrier that was eventually solved by replacing the wheels with new ones.

I'm not sure you would need such a drastic solution, I'm sure other forum members will be able to give you more specific help.

I have also found that some Hornby tank engines need quite a bit of running in and sometimes that is enough to improve matters.

Regards

Veronica

0-4-0'S have tendancy to waddle because of the slack fit between the wheels and the track in oo gauge.

The prototype locos also have a tendency to waddle; indeed I think they were so nicknamed because they resemble pug dogs in this respect!

All steam engines with connected wheels tend to "box" because of the weight of the connecting rods etc. being driven going back and forward relative to the chassis. Outside cylinder loco's were worse than inside cylinder locos, and short wheel base 0-4-0s were worst of all. In this case what is true of the real thing is true for the model. So even a smooth running model will box a bit if you look carefully enough. The fact that yours does it more noticeably one way than the other suggests that the underlying tendency is being made worse by a stiffness in the motion.

Will

Archived