Marcs RTR bodges

Marcyg

As suggested, I'm starting on my TEA rake. They're old Hornby ones, which are going to need a shed load of work, but hey, that's modelling, plus Bachmann ones are extortionate in price now. Bachmann are also very kind in not supplying their Gloucester bogies as a separate item. I found a solution with WildBoarFell from this parish, he has designed the bogies I'm after as a 3D print. So, an order has been placed for 8 pairs. The only down side, is there's no provision for a coupler, as they used to be attached to the Hornby bogie. A while back I bought a shed load of Kadee couplings that I never put to use, so I thought this would be a good time for a trial fit.

DSC00286_zpsq28utdtn.jpg

As you can see, they're attached to the chassis, so I then had to consider the swing, which would be considerably more now, than if they were attached to the bogies

DSC00283_zpscr1eh38o.jpg

This is as close as I can have them and still be able to negotiate my tightest curve. Most of my layout has pretty easy curves, but there was one in the fiddle yard which is tighter than anything else, so this was the measurement point

DSC00282_zpsuyixqjpj.jpg

Don't think that's a too unreasonable gap there

DSC00281_zps1atvwfji.jpg

Checked against it's counterpart, it shows the body needs to come down, but the coupling needs to stay where it is. I don't actually have the bogies yet, so this is more to prove the couplings can be used than anything else. Once the bogies are fitted, everything else can be lined up properly, but so far, so good. It did mean I had to construct loads of couplings

DSC00288_zpszhmbmc5a.jpg

These things are a pain to build, I kept gluing myself to them! Still need to fit some walkways, which are next to impossible to find. I'm tempted to buy some embossed chequered plasticard and make some out of that...

DSC00287_zpskqnz5nzn.jpg

To keep myself occupied in the mean time, there's this. I was hoping just to rub the name off and repaint the front after detailing, but I managed to rub through on the paint, so it's ended up being a total repaint. She'll end up being 31132, as I've always wanted a 31 with ploughs.

Added a couple more locos to the fleet, early birthday pressie to me, from me! :locomotive:

First is a Lima class 37. Lima!? I hear you say! Yup, when they look this good, I'll go for them. It'll end up with a Vi or Bachmann chassis in the long run, but I'm happy with it how it is at the min. It also comes with lights, which is a nice surprise as it wasn't in the description

DSC00291_zpspnerr805.jpg

DSC00290_zpst9j7u0cj.jpg

DSC00289_zpsvi0sxfyc.jpg

Next up is this beauty. I wanted one since they were first released. Hattons have them for a very good price, so I couldn't resist. Totally wrong for an 80's layout, but I'm imagining it was preserved, so it'll be gaining warning flashes and other gubbins to make it 'main line' compatable. It'll also be picking out other details which aren't included in Hornbys 'base' model. First impressions are it's very good. Bit jerky to start, but it seems to be a common problem. It'll go well with Mallard, Flying Scotsman and Clan Line for my main line specials.

DSC00292_zpskyplngo5.jpg

DSC00293_zps4rh8iamo.jpg

Lastly are these bogies for my tankers. They're a shpeways product. They at the OMG end of expensive for what they are (you still have to add bearings, wheels and paint them) but that's what Shapeways charge, so if you want them, you have to pay. The design was by WildBoarFell, and it's very good and very fine. I added Romford plain bearings and Hornby 12.6mm 3 hole wheels. I like Hornby wheels, they're 99% of the time wobble free, and are reasonably priced. I'm still undecided to turn the tankers into class B tanks with conical ends at the min. Were any class A tanks plain black back in the late 80's?

DSC00294_zpsg3r3l9gm.jpg

• 2 months later...

Been a long time with no updates, didn't even go into the railway room for over a month. Been working a few other projects recently. The TEA tankers are up and running, though they havn't progressed much further than they were in the last update. Recently I was watching some RTC Mk3 coaches on eBay, they went for insane money, so I thought I'd have a bash at my own. I'm doing one to start with, which is Lab 21. A Jouef TSO is the base coach, with the sides grafted in from a buffet car.

DSC00400_zpsfkvqbw04.jpg

DSC00399_zps5mclmzs2.jpg

As you can see in the first picture, I got the small window in completely the wrong place. Pictures of these coaches are a bit scarce, so I made an assumption it was opposite the small window on the other side - wrong! So I had to cut it bach out and start again. Bit of a pain, but hey ho, my fault for guessing. This is how they stand as of this morning

DSC00406_zps5cmtcfjv.jpg

DSC00407_zpsuxilqctm.jpg

And the roof

DSC00408_zpsvemrcpgz.jpg

Still needs a bit of tidying up, but coming along ok. They're not perfect, but will do for what I want. For those interested, the colours are Halfords and are as follows

Intercity fawn - Rover Champagne Beige

RTC red - Fiat Orange Red

Intercity Dark Grey - Volvo Dark Grey 228

Warning yellow - Vauxhall Mustard Yellow

The grey roof is bare primer

DSC00403_zpsgmiifebp.jpg

Next up this. Dapol FO repainted from blue/grey. Will be a declassified 1st.

DSC00402_zps85id56q0.jpg

Then there's this. I needed a partner for the other DVT I had and this one came up cheap.

How it sits this morning

DSC00404_zpsoafizrjg.jpg

Only needs the black, then a bit of tidying up before transfers and varnish. Then I have a spare Mk4 DVT for the other 225 rake I'm planning

DSC00405_zps2akzy9wf.jpg

Lastly is this. It's going to be in a fictitious version of swallow livery. It'll be based on the 225 version. I'm not sure how it will sit as the body is quite curved compared to the class 91, still, it cant be as bad as how wrong the new VTEC livery sits on the locos. I don't think the white cab roof will come off too well with exhaust fumes either, but I think it'll be quite interesting and a bit different

• RMweb Premium

I like your work there Marcyg, put me down for an RTC Mk3 too!  The list of paints is very handy, thanks for taking the time to note them down, I'm sure a few pwople will find that helpful.  Just need t find a Jouef Mk3 now, and a bit of free time!

EDIT - typo

Really love your repaints. Did you manage to find an alternative to VW Pargas Blue for BR Blue please?

Not found one yet. Would be handy if I could though as I could attack the mk2 high speed test coach... Not found any for the lower 2 greys of triple grey yet either...

• 1 month later...

Time for an update. There's been a flurry of activity recently, I'm just useless at keeping record of it.

Firstly, when is a class 91, not a class 91? When it's an HST

DSC00412_zpsuf297gcg.jpg

DSC00414_zpsztanmips.jpg

DSC00413_zpszp8mpqoe.jpg

I always wondered what this would look like. You can see why the designers didn't apply this livery to them. The white cab roof would soon be back, and the straight lines don't really sit well on a curved cab. It was an absolute pig to mask up, I had several goes. It's still not perfect, but gives a good impression.

Got the final loco of my collection changed to one from the correct period. This used to be plain blue.

DSC00411_zpspd5t20n3.jpg

A Replica body on a Bachmann chassis. The Replica body sits a shade lower, so no need to alter the bogies to lower the body. Had to file the chassis down a touch so the body would fit. Still need to add a few embellishments, but I think it looks the part now.

All the test coaches I had planned are now a reality. Took quite a few hours, and spare coaches, but I only have 2 left on the list I want, and they're in blue/red livery, which I don't have a good shade of blue to suit

DSC00417_zpsruuhgwuw.jpg

DSC00418_zpshtnhesrz.jpg

The 2 Mk3's

And Mentor. I had this coach knocking around for ages with no use. Then a thread on here gave me the idea to turn it into something else.

DSC00415_zpsd5locgnt.jpg

DSC00416_zpseoyb0w5b.jpg

Lima Mk1 with Lima Mk3 bogies, simple conversion.

The whole test train together

DSC00419_zpspnyfeizw.jpg

Another small project is this. My favourite loco of all time. It was seeing this on TV when I was young that started it all off

DSC00421_zpswk1ysbdj.jpg

This loco is for rail tours, I have a BR green version which is my first loco. I can now retire her and give some TLC she needs

This unit fills a big gap in my stock for the London area. It's plain blue/grey now, but will gain NSE logos and I also have a Craftsman kit for it.

DSC00409_zpstwp7wx7j.jpg

It's a pretty basic dull model, but it also has some nice features,

DSC00410_zps86tma80l.jpg

Separate exhaust stacks. The underframe is the typical box, but has some nice relief on it, the bogies however, are c**p and will be exchanged for Hornby versions at some point. I have a set of Kadees to throw at it as well.

And finally... Don't hold your breath for this one. I never build a loco from scratch before, so this will be a challenge!

DSC00420_zpsbwfvcj6t.jpg

Apart from the 117 and the 89, the projects will slow down now. It's coming up to spring soon, and I have an old Ford that needs some TLC before the good weather arrives

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some truly inspiration modelling there. I've always poo-pooed Halford car sprays on the assumption the paint comes out too thick (years of using Railmatch cans), but the finish you've achieved has all the appearance of using an airbrush. I should dig out my HSTRC combo - Southern Pride overlays and Baccy donor coach. I think - it's been some time since I last had a go at it.

Ian S

Archived