DCC FITTED decoder assigned address (help required)

DapolDave

Hi everyone,

A question i dont know the answer to but i really should.

We have started to sell DCC fitted locomotives in our range. I fit them myself and check the installation etc. I do not re-programme from the 03 factory setting to the running number as i assume that customers will be aware that decoders come with this setting and will want to programme their own 2 or 4 digit address.

However due to a complaint from a customer (some of it justified) i realise that the need to upgrade our instructions or at least mention that the decoder is on '03' setting within the packaging.

However my question is this, do the other manufacturers have the loco address programmed into the decoder or leave their on '03' setting for the customer to programe, and do they (if they use 03) make a note in the instructions or just think the customer will know its '03' and reprogramme as necessary.

Help gratefully received, along with any opinions you may have either way.

cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

If I buy a new decoder or a new DCC fitted loco I would expect it to be address 3. The only time I would expect it to be different would be in one of those 2 loco digital "starter" train sets.

There are a few decoders that don't support DC running so if you are fitting those it would be worth mentioning on the packaging.

I thought this was a universally accepted standard. But perhaps I could be considered as dumb as your buyer ;) Anyway who reads instructions?

Doesn't this one come under the same heading as "This product contains small parts when disassembled that may cause a choking hazard to a child when swallowed" or "Do not operate on mains voltages"

Once you know the factory setting is 03 you never forget it, however a complete novice needs to find that information from somewhere in the first place. I would expect to have it written somewhere on the information that comes with the product.

• RMweb Gold

I thought 03 as a default address was part of the NMRA specifications, but the NMRA site is currently experiencing problems so I can't check.

I'm sure you are right - but that dates from when decoders were not available factory-fitted.

I think 03 is enshrined in every DCC handbook and advice as being the default address, so for Dapol to do anything else would simply cause confusion.

It might be worth stating that it is address 3 in the instructions somewhere, along with all the other blindingly obvious things that a normal user does not need (like the gauge of track the loco runs on, that it is 12V DC in analogue mode, dropping it on the floor might break it, eating it will cause indigestion, etc.) The NMRA specification says that it will be set to short address 3 unless you specifically state that it is otherwise (selling a pack of locos like a pair of class 20s will require at least one of them to not be 3, perhaps 1 and 2 and consisted to address 3 with 1 consisted forwards and 2 consisted backwards so they run nose to nose).

Whatever address you set the loco to it can be changed by the user, I am not aware of any system that cannot program a short address, and programming a short address will clear any existing address (long or short) and consist setting automatically (NMRA requirement of decoders).

Setting the loco's running number as its address should be avoided, that will cause confusion especially for numbers below 128 which can be long or short addresses. This should only be a problem when you start selling 100 loco train packs (whole Dapol range in a box - DCC fitted!)

It should be an absolute must to state in the instructions that the decoder will respond to address 3........on here of course, we all know its 3, but there are lots of people new to DCC all the time......we shouldnt forget them.

How many times have we all done a factory reset, then tried your loco again on its old address, then wondered why it wont work anymore...???

Bob

Most of the major manufacturers ie Bachmann, Hornby all use address 03 as default in Dcc fitted and sound decoders. The only time it may be different if it is a secondhand loco then you can read the chip on the controller and it will tell you what the address is.

I think it would be good to include the address on the paperwork that you include with the locomotive.

I hope this helps.

OK, thanks guys,

We have , from today, started to put stickers on the end of the box stating that the decoder is set to the factory default setting of '03' and that the decoder is fully NMRA compliant and supports running the loco , decoder fitted, on DC if required.

I appreciate your feedback. :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

If you want the NMRA reference, it is RP 9.2.2. CV1 is the only CV to have a default value (3) defined.

http://www.nmra.org/...2 2007 July.pdf

Adrian

With typical NMRA clarity "if the decoder is not installed in a locomotive or other unit when shipped from the manufacturer".

What about when the deocder is shipped by the *loco* manufacturer?

Having said that, the first thing I would do with any loco is put it on the programming track and read all the CVs, including the address. Unfortunately, some low end systems do not allow decoders to be read.

Andrew

Archived