"Next 18" interface to replace NEM decoder socket?

Frutigen

• RMweb Premium

The good news: Today received a model that I pre-ordered 15 months ago, it's a Liliput N gauge FLIRT EMU for Swiss railways. I already had the decoder for it - a Zimo MX621 with NEM prongs, so...

The bad news: Liliput have changed the specification for the latest run and it now takes a Next 18 decoder, whatever that is. The search is on for a suitable decoder.

Meanwhile, can anyone shed any light on the Next 18 standard?

Keith

Next18 (as detailed in NEM 662) is a new MOROP European standard connector interface designed for use in TT, N gauge and smaller gauge models.

Along with the new NMRA standard PluX interface (also covered by NEM 658), these new interfaces are due to replace the legacy....

NEM 651 (6-pin),

NEM 652 (8-pin) and

NEM 660 (21-pin MTC)

.....in DCC equipped models.

Details here for NEM 662 in German and French.

A suitable decoder is the ESU LokPilot Micro V4.0, which is available in two Next18 fitted versions.....

model no. 54689 (multi protocol inc. DCC)

model no. 54686 (DCC only)

For sound, there is also a version of the ESU LokSound Micro V4.0...

model no. 54898

Some images on this page, showing the different connector options.

There aren't that many other Next18 decoders available at the moment, with most manufacturers preferring to produce decoders fitted with the smaller of the PluX connectors, designed for use in small scales.

This is what Rail Community have said about Next18.....

Next18 interface

It is a decoder interface for small vehicles H0, TT and N vehicles vehicles. The plug used originates from the mobile phone manufacturing.

First decoder with Next18 interface are already available from various vendors, such as by ESU and Küehn.

Vehicles with the interface are expected during the year, among other things Brawa and Liliput.

European distributor of the connector is the company Coratec. Here also small quantities for hobbyists and small manufacturers are available. Contact details can be found on our website.

Next18 (as detailed in NEM 662) is a new MOROP European standard connector interface

Its nice to see that the model manufacturers are following the real railway and changing the "standards" every 5 minutes, not.

• RMweb Premium

Zimo MX818 or for sound MX868 also have the Next18 interface.

Thanks for the lead, Suzie. I can't find any reference to a MX818 but the Zimo web here site shows a new decoder called MX618 due for release "probably November 2012"

• RMweb Premium

OK, so it looks like there are two main contenders, the Zimo MX618 and the ESU Lokpilot v4 Micro.

The Zimo has yet to be released. As far as I can tell the ESU is not generally available in the UK with the Next 18 interface but I have tracked one down and ordered it from a German supplier via ebay, forecast to arrive in about a week. I'll report further once I've received and installed it.

Would someone who is up to speed with Plux and Next 18, care to sum up simply what these are, and what we are to expect in the future please.

I would suspect most people on here dont have a clue about this subject, and a nice simple explanation as to what they are, and when are they coming would be most welcome. But simple being the operative word please, so that everyone can clearly understand.

Thanks.................Bob

Bob, it has been discussed at length a few times before in previous threads.

There is a lot of detail there and it would be very time consuming to try and reproduce all that detail here.

Have a look at these threads......

http://www.rmweb.co....ecoder-sockets/

http://www.rmweb.co....21-pin-sockets/

http://www.rmweb.co....pin-dcc-socket/

http://www.rmweb.co....Dapol-class-73/

http://www.rmweb.co....te/page__st__25

http://www.rmweb.co....dy/page__st__25

Hopefully that will answer your questions?

In simple terms, the current legacy socket and plug arrangements are considered past their "sell by date" and don't provide for the increased capability and functionality that is now becoming available through DCC.

e.g. The almost ubiquitous 8-pin socket is so out of date that it doesn't even cater for 4 functions!

In addition, the new connector arrangements are designed to clear up the current mess of different and incompatible connector types and replace them with a standardised and interchangeable alternative (PluX).

However, the Next18 is very much a European thing and has come from outside the NMRA process.

Regards

Ron

Flippin eck Ron........I didnt think I had missed all those discussions, so I'm do apologise for not keeping myself up to speed.

Your paragraph however, does very simply sum up what is happening.

Thanks...................Bob

No worries Bob (as they say).

If you've got the time, it might be worth looking at those threads, although having had a quick look back myself, I'm slightly worried that I come across as a bit of an evangelist with my tuppence worth.

Ron

• RMweb Premium

UPDATE The decoder has arrived and went straight into the model without a hitch. It's an ESU Lokpilot v4 Micro DCC with Next18 interface and it cost me £32 including postage from a German supplier on eBay.

• 3 years later...

From the latest Brachmann club newsletter it would appear they are planning on using the Next18 even in some OO models.  Looking on line the spec for this chip indicates the physical space along with the alignment for the plug required in the model.  Thus any chip produced will fit into any model (in theory).

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to be cynical but... It's taken 4 years and is outside NMRA compliance....

If it was so good / ground breaking surely there would have been a lot more hype about it?

It seems as if the manufacturers have only just started to toy with 21 pin decoders, now they are consigned to history.... Just my view of course.

Sorry to be cynical but... It's taken 4 years and is outside NMRA compliance....

If it was so good / ground breaking surely there would have been a lot more hype about it?

It seems as if the manufacturers have only just started to toy with 21 pin decoders, now they are consigned to history.... Just my view of course.

It is a MOROP norm (NEM 662).

Adrian

Dare I say you may be looking at this from the rather insular world of UK modelling, when it comes DCC?

Next18 has been slowly gathering traction in the European modelling scene over the last year or two and the UK scene has again been a little late coming to the party.

The 21 pin MTC connector wasn't part of the NMRA standards either, until rather late in the day (2010'ish?) and was only adopted for legacy purposes (effectively to legitimise - in NMRA terms - its use by European manufacturers).

Although the 21 pin connector is now included in the NMRA standards, the NMRA state that from 1st Jan. 2010, this connector is not recommended for use in new locomotive designs.

That's over 6 years ago and suppliers to the UK market are still fitting them !

Manufacturers should by now be fitting PluX connectors (and Next18 for the smaller gauges) in all their new loco designs.

In mainland European countries, some manufacturers are doing just that, where as a few others (e.g. Bachman/Liliput) haven't yet caught up.

It surprises me and I find it a little bizarre that Bachmann/Liliput are now adopting Next18 connectors (originally designed for N gauge), when they haven't caught up elsewhere (i.e. Plux).

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ron,

By implication then, all my existing decoders will not fit into newer locos... having said that of course looking through the Bachmann catalogue yesterday there is already a mix of 8; 21 pin and now next18. Surely if they are going down that road it would have been easier to switch all products about to be made???

When you look at the lead times Bachmann are working on - from announcement to delivery - it might be more surprising that valve-based decoders are still the norm 8-)

If you consider the Next18, with its specification of size to ensure space is actually available for a real decoder (about time!) - this might require modification of the chassis, internal wirng / pcb, tender housing etc.

For example the TTS sound decoders from Hornby are fitted in the Tender of the loco, whilst the silent version/dcc ready vrsion was provided with the socket in the loco chassis (Mallard/Gadlfly)

It has taken a long time for the NEM coupling pocket to appear on the majority of current production - it is still not on everything

• 3 weeks later...

Interestingly an email just received from Bachmann indicates this chip format has been included in the OO V3 tank.

Production samples have now arrived for the highly anticipated Bachmann Branchline OO scale Class V3 2-6-2 Tank Locomotives. These models feature an all new chassis with wheels running in separate bearings, wiper pickups, NEM couplings and the latest DCC technology - Next18. Optimized for DCC, the V3 includes connections on the circuit board for the addition of DCC lighting and sound, with space provided for a sugar cube speaker. With body variations covering original or hopper style bunkers and straight or cranked steam pipes, two models will soon be available from your local Bachmann stockist. Item No. 31-614 No. 67646 in BR lined black with late crest and 31-615 No. 67690 in BR lined black with early emblem each have an RRP of £129.95 - for further details visit the Bachmann website.

Interestingly an email just received from Bachmann indicates this chip format has been included in the OO V3 tank.

In the recent past, Bachmann have fitted 6-pin decoder sockets into a few smaller 00 locos where there isn't much room for a larger socket and decoder.

As 6-pin is supposed to be effectively dead, except for legacy purposes (decoders for older models)....

....and as it appears Bachmann, in line with other continental manufacturers, are adopting Next18 for their Lilliput N gauge models; could it be that they're using the same solution to address the problem of space inside smaller 00 and tank locos (i.e. Next18 instead of 6-pin)?

Archived