FALCON LAKE

DaveB

Hi Gents,

As the weather has been so grotty lately I've been busy inside, preparing for the next year of exhibitions, such as Eurotrack at Eastleigh and my special favourite show TVNAM.

This year I've tried my hand at creating an old sawmill scene in HO,based loosely on the famous Hull-Oakes location, which features a busy scene at the end of a 6 mile shortline. Featured are the log pond, sawmill buildings, and the Tepee sawdust burner - now inactive due to environmental issues!

Look out for the vistiing bears. I assume that the old sawmill has been given a new lease of life with major finance developing the lumber yard and modern packaging plant. So traffic involves packaged wallboards, sawn lumber and of course tons of sawdust!

The switcher delivers empty cars and takes away the laoded cars back to connection with the main line.

Still tons of detailing work to do but that's the fun part! I'll add a few pictures, but hope to get better ones if I can take the layout outside on a rare sunny day!

Your comments and ideas always welcomed.

Dave

post-8889-0-92046500-1350572220_thumb.jpg

post-8889-0-40329900-1350572233_thumb.jpg

post-8889-0-41128200-1350572246_thumb.jpg

post-8889-0-76838300-1350572256_thumb.jpg

post-8889-0-90687900-1350572270_thumb.jpg

post-8889-0-42733900-1350572286_thumb.jpg

post-8889-0-43225100-1350572303_thumb.jpg

Hi Trevor - thanks.

When visiting Scotland earlier this year I took some photos of the pine forests around the area.

I blended them together when I got home, and created the backscenes you see.Placing a hand-made tree in front of the joins helps!

Dave

• 1 month later...

I've been experimenting with LCD ribbon lighting, and have fitted two lengths on the inside of a plastic guttering section. I've stuck bacofoil on the inner surface to act as a reflector and increase the brightness. I'm pleased with the results so far - what do you think?

Dave

Hi Ray,

I've just measured and it's 18 inches above the layout surface. I haven't tried it at any other height, as it attaches at the moment to the underside of my Kuppla Yard layout on the shelf above. WhenFalcon Lake is on its own stand I'll be able to play around a bit.

I'll have a go at different heights/angles in the next couple of days, and report on any improvements. A main advantage is of course the lack of heat from the illumination - much safer than halogen lamps!

Dave

• 1 month later...

I used the LED strip lighting under exhibition conditions at the Newbury show yesterday. Had very favourable comments, and a lot of interest and questions.

Really ideal, as this method is light, bright and without danger of heating. It throws a very pleasing and even light over the whole layout.

I use a triple row of LEDS, fitted into an inverted brown plastic guttering length, which is first lined with Bacofoil as a reflector.

The lighting is 20" above the layout surface.

I noticed today that Chris Gilbert has used the LED strip on his new Florida City layout, with very good effect.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave 

Enjoyed seeing your layout at Newbury yesterday although there was no-one with it operating when I was there so I couldn't introduce myself. Lots of nice detail and cameos and I particularly liked the water at the saw mill end. How was that done?

Hi Ray, Sorry I missed you at Newbury, guess I'd gone for a natural break!

The water at the sawmill was done with a two part resin mix from Gaugemaster(can't remember the product name).

I've been promised some piccies from a spectator at the show. Once I get them I'll put some on line.

Yep, I'll be at TVNAM come he'll or high water!! It's my favourite exhibition.

Also promised to do Benson next January with Falcon Lake.

If you make it to Romsey or Basingstoke in March I'll be there with the Dan Patch Line.

Best

Dave

Archived