N Dapol Class 66

Vonzack

Hi,

I have an N Dapol Class 66 (ND-201A) and when pulling a long rake of empty Farish HHA's it starts to struggle and there is quite a bit of wheel slip. I'm very happy with the loco, but I need it to be able to reliably pull the HHA's both empty and with loads which will add a little more weight.

Has anybody experienced this with their 66s and how did you solve it?

Cheers, Mark.

Just to add, the HHA's are free running and I have a Farish 57, which is more than happy to drag them along without any problems, but this loco seems to be a bit heavier than the 66.

• RMweb Gold

My Dapol 66 will pull 21 empty Farish HYA's but with fine ground coal glued to foam inserts, it wont pull 21 without double heading. The Farish 66's will.

I haven't yet tried to add any weight as I think there isnt enough space to add sufficuent weight. Howeve, I too would be interested if any one has manged this.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Before adding weight see if you can get hold of some 'bullfrog snot' - I added it to three of four engines I use on Gresby, which helped no end with the pulling power. I didn't fit it to any of my Dapol 66s, mostly because they were on the lighter trains. I added it to one pair of wheels per bogie (on the Farish locos this was the middle axel because there is no pick up)

Cheers

Simon

Had the loco apart last night, there's little/no room between the chasis and the body, there's less than 1mm between the bottom of the cab detail and chasis floor. It may be possible to get some weight in behind the cab detail and in front of the bogie towers, as there is a 2-3mm void here which doesn't look like it will foul anything. The only place I could see that might be empty is the Diesel Tank. Does anybody know if there is a void in the bottom of the diesel tank or if the motor assembly reaches down that far?

As a comparison, I just weighed the 66 against my 57, the 66 came in at 72g and the 57 was 107g

I'd be tempted to use the bullfrog snot, but on the 66 the centre wheelset on each bogie isn't driven and doesn't look to have any power pickup either. I don't want to be down to single wheel pickups on both bogies as I'll probably just end up with another running problem. I could see it working a treat on Farish or similar bogies though.

Cheers, Mark.

I do not recall there being any space in the fuel tank area. In fact, there is very little space anywhere for additional weight. You may be able to add a very small amount under the cab area as you mention Mark, but it would be easy to get it wrong and cause all sorts of issues.

Archived