Sanatorium Road

Danemouth

• 7 months later...

The layout has been invited to attend at Model Rail Live this year, see other links, and an article is due to appear in print within the next few months, as a trial run the layout may also appear at the Swansea maritime museum show this summer, hopefully the early problems with the DCC are now resolved and some trouble free operation is hoped for.

....the whole range of my infrastructure stock was designed with the 3 ft rule in mind, so whilst i am pleased with my own effort, the models do not stack up well to close scrutiny, which when bourne in mind I scratch build from very basic materials and with no expenditure, I aim to make a representation not a scale model....

Hi Paul....

They certainly stood close scrutiny through my binoculars at the Cardiff show last time....

Hope you have more luck with parking in Swansea this year though, if you make the trip.

Randall

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, saw this today at MRL and was very impressed, really nice details in the yard and the concept is fantastic.

The stock is really good too especially the track machines, it actually sent myself and my dad hunting for kibri kits to no avail haha

Must get myself a track machine for my small layout.

Great work guys

Hi Paul,

Just found this one. Well doe on the Model Rail article, I picked up a copy and it made for good reading. The speed at which you get these layouts done puts me to shame with how long I've taken on Dragon Steels. It is getting there though and I've posted up a couple of new pics this week and these can be found here...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/43318-a-south-wales-steelworks-well-a-slice-of/page-3&do=findComment&comment=1171268

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I

Sounds very interesting :no:

I used pictures that appeared in rail express as a start, then found a few more on the inter web,

The coach is a Bachmann parcel guv, with a few windows plated over with plasticard, the transfers were from precision labels /decals, the van was masked and srayed with precision paints tin lets which were thinned and two coats applied, the two tanks are nothing more than two Hornby cheap old TTA s sprayed in halfords Peugeot blue sprays, the whole lot was weathered with a mix of track colours, a tinted white, and some black Matt for good measure,

Quite a simple conversion for an unusual train, it runs well with a pair of EWS cl 37s in consist on DCC. Good luck with your modelling any further info or pictures required let me know.

Hi again regarding the weed killing train what is it made out of as I'm thinking of building one myself based on photos from Healey mills

David

Oops replied to wrong comment, please accept apologise and view the correct one above at,

I saw this last year at the Cardiff show and was very impressed. Are you going to be there this year (i.e. next week)?

Paul is showing a new layout of Ranelagh Bridge this year. This layout is set in the 70's after the turntable was removed.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Any approaches for the layout will now be directed to the eBay website where the layout is now offered. The opening bid is for £500.00 and for anyone who may be interested you may be the only bidder........... As with most auctions, the action may well be toward the close of the sale, with over 30 individuals now listed as " watchers" so good luck to anyone who bids, and thanks for the interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Christmas greetings one and all,

Sanatorium road was sold on eBay yesterday, there will be a transition period whilst transport is arranged and the layout is dispatched to its new owner and home, the stock remains in my possession and will feature on a new layout which is in an advanced stage of planning and baseboard design is currently with a joinery business in Barry,

For those who are following this thread, I hope you will interested in my new layout, it's is a modern reproduction of the bi directional station at Radyr, again on the valley lines, this time modelling a roundy roundy, so I will start a thread over the next few days showing the track plan and some inspirational pictures of the actual location,

Thanks one and all for the feed back and responses, and lets get modelling in 2014.

Seasons Greetings to you too Paul,

Although I never got to see Sanantorium Road in the flesh, I did enjoy reading the article in Model Rail. I hope the new owner looks after it and has lots of fun, do you know if he's an Rmweb member at all? If so then maybe we'll continue to see it on the forum.

I remember you telling me about the Radyr project, I'll look forward to seeing it progress.

All the best.

Clothes, a dirty weekend away with a deviant and his wife, at a murder mystery hotel... I bet you can guess who that is? Photos of my kids and a new drill, not a Bachmann box in sight, and the sale of sanatorium road is now destined to be carpets, got a layout to show yet ? What's the poly bulk for? Paper of china clay ?

Archived