The layout that BR(EL) built

Dan Griffin

• RMweb Premium

That's interesting, as it ties in with my experience of our club building one, in what must have been the same era. I wonder if it was a sort of policy to ask local clubs to build them, as all the relevant skills were already in place? Nice to hear it has been saved anyway, I bet our version was scrapped years ago.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

There is a similar layout at Doncaster Grainbank. I was there on a course in August, so it was a real surprise. Full colour lights with Hornby OHLE. I didn't look like it was in use. Shame really. Showed it to some colleagues in our office, and with all the safety requirements for going to site, would be ideal as an instructional aid for office based staff. Hope it doesn't end up in a skip one day. I'll see if I can find the pics to took.

This one came my way last year...

post-4034-0-15959500-1351350466_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-35130700-1351350851_thumb.jpg

The 73's are converted to have a remote controlled battery mechanism and uninsulated wheels so they operate track circuits. The signals are controlled from a small NX panel which is of course attached to a full size interlocking.

• RMweb Gold

That's interesting, as it ties in with my experience of our club building one, in what must have been the same era. I wonder if it was a sort of policy to ask local clubs to build them, as all the relevant skills were already in place? Nice to hear it has been saved anyway, I bet our version was scrapped years ago.

Neil

See Post No. 5 on the first page of this thread. The requirement, on the BR regions, to build training layouts emerged in the mid 1980s.

• RMweb Gold

This one came my way last year...

The 73's are converted to have a remote controlled battery mechanism and uninsulated wheels so they operate track circuits. The signals are controlled from a small NX panel which is of course attached to a full size interlocking.

That is (or was) presumably part of an S&T training facility somewhere?

Hi,

I did a bit of renovation work and extension to a small layout intended for training. It was at Leamington but was later moved to Rugby. It has four aspect colour lights. I did ask if they wanted them to be correctly sequenced (using Heathcote electronics parts) but the answer was no, partly on costs and partly so they could show how to deal with irregular signal aspects. The AHBs where non working (apart from flashing lights) and there is no interlocking. The 'worn' effect on the panel was accidental, I believe it was a reaction between the hardboard, paint and varnish. Anyone who knows the Baltimore & Ohio railroad will recognise the source of the names.

post-14048-0-13128600-1351361271_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-21153100-1351361293_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-20563700-1351361316_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-53956600-1351361344_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-54850000-1351361367_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-22247500-1351361397_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-58974300-1351361428.jpg

I had a bit more free reign on the scenery side

As far as the Westcad Trackerball controls are concerned; either side of the Trackerball are green buttons (for left or right handed operation) to set functions. Just above it are two red square buttons to cancel functions. Above them again are three buttons to individually control points being N (normal) C (centre,for when you want to revert to setting routes in the normal way) and R (reverse). There is also a seperate keyboard which can control these functions and also other functions.

Excellent! Bit different from the very basic ones we now use at NR to train signallers! Current ones use a Lenz DCC setup with laptops to control motorised Hornby semaphore and colour light signals. The stock is Heljan Hymeks and 47s along with an old Hornby HST.

I had the job of disconnecting motors from half of the stock so it could be pushed around as and when required as the laptop and programmes take ages to boot up!

• RMweb Premium

There is a similar layout at Doncaster Grainbank. I was there on a course in August, so it was a real surprise. Full colour lights with Hornby OHLE. I didn't look like it was in use. Shame really. Showed it to some colleagues in our office, and with all the safety requirements for going to site, would be ideal as an instructional aid for office based staff. Hope it doesn't end up in a skip one day. I'll see if I can find the pics to took.

Forgot to say in another room there was what looked to be some O gauge track laid out on a test bench too. Not sure what it was used for, or the purpose.

Also at the Tonbridge training centre in Kent, there was a OO layout, but again didn't look like it was been used.

The NRM has the O gauge Lancashire & Yorkshire signalling school layout in the store room. This used for demonstration of absolute block signalling principles.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent! Bit different from the very basic ones we now use at NR to train signallers! Current ones use a Lenz DCC setup with laptops to control motorised Hornby semaphore and colour light signals. The stock is Heljan Hymeks and 47s along with an old Hornby HST.

I had the job of disconnecting motors from half of the stock so it could be pushed around as and when required as the laptop and programmes take ages to boot up!

Is that at Leeds signalling school?

• RMweb Gold

Here are the two I built back in 2003 for Salisbury and Yeovil area assessments for Signalling staff.

Penny Lane for the crossing keepers, named for the Signalling Manager of the Yeovil area.

post-6968-0-68608300-1351522480.jpg

And the Signallers more sophisticated one with operating track circuits.

post-6968-0-65188000-1351523159.jpg

You can see the Signallers panels which arwe the two small panels and the assessors panel on the far right.

Also note the tank on the right hand side, which I replaced with a radio control one as we set it up one day and confused the boss when the signalman being assessed swore blind the tank kept moving ;) Took them about 10 minutes before they realised those of us waiting outside had the remote!

post-6968-0-57495800-1351522492.jpg

post-6968-0-30070300-1351522500.jpg

post-6968-0-64835800-1351522505.jpg

post-6968-0-11699800-1351522511.jpg

post-6968-0-24634200-1351522526.jpg

Note the SPAD Indicator on the left hand platform line.

post-6968-0-70884700-1351522532.jpg

and the controllers panel.

post-6968-0-23064500-1351522549.jpg

• RMweb Premium

See Post No. 5 on the first page of this thread. The requirement, on the BR regions, to build training layouts emerged in the mid 1980s.

I'm struggling a bit to place the exact timescale on ours TBH Mike, I was married in '84 which is my excuse, but I have a feeling the layout was just before then for some reason - I'm happy to be wrong though, you were obviously close to this process at the time. I think the request came from an area manager who I think shared my forename IIRC, but his surname is lost in the mists of time. he was a great supporter of the club, he once opened our exhibition as guest of honour. Happy days. I don't see any of the old club members on here who may recall better unfortunately, and I'm a little remote from them now to ask! One has passed away at a young age too, RIP 'Plum', he became a signalling inspector. Lot of memories rushing back as a result of this thread!

• RMweb Gold

Another one built a few years ago for the drivers training school after thay saw the Salisbury one, loosely based on Worting Jcn but without the flyovers.

As with the other ones the trains have to be moved by hand to stop any temptation to play trains ;)

post-6968-0-63825200-1351531139.jpg

post-6968-0-11615200-1351531146.jpg

post-6968-0-81405500-1351531151.jpg

post-6968-0-53804800-1351531161.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I'm struggling a bit to place the exact timescale on ours TBH Mike, I was married in '84 which is my excuse, but I have a feeling the layout was just before then for some reason - I'm happy to be wrong though, you were obviously close to this process at the time. I think the request came from an area manager who I think shared my forename IIRC, but his surname is lost in the mists of time. he was a great supporter of the club, he once opened our exhibition as guest of honour. Happy days. I don't see any of the old club members on here who may recall better unfortunately, and I'm a little remote from them now to ask! One has passed away at a young age too, RIP 'Plum', he became a signalling inspector. Lot of memories rushing back as a result of this thread!

I'm going from what post I was in at the time which makes it definitely post GW150 (which occupied a fair bit of my time in 1985) and I think it was either late that year or the following year when the Western was seeking its layout. I've an idea there was some incident around then which led to the widespread suggestion that there should be such layouts and some sort of instruction came down from the BRB telling the Regions to get them in place for certain types of training.

• 1 month later...

i wondered where that had gone, I've recently filled the space where it once stood.

i had asked if it was going to a good home but was told it was in storage.

wish i'd known it was up for grabs!

well done you! :)

there was a layout at the Leicester traing school when i was there last year, but it was in need of some TLC.

any update on the layout??

not so much as an update, with work on my house, fast approaching christmas and another new addition due to the family in february, i havnt even took the layout sections out of thier plywood coffins yet. i plan to start some work in january and ill post more pics ect when i finally get around to starting the layout. cheers and merry christmas

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hello all, having at last found time to de-box a couple of the boards to asses how much work is needed on each, ive found that there was more than i thought. all the foam underlay isrotten and dissapears when your touch it. the track is filthy and some OHL stantions are broken. below are some shots. more to follow when i de-box other boards. if anyone on here can point me in the direction of some Hornby OHL masts is appreciate it ti replace all the damaged ones. ives estimated ill need about 20, including some spares incase they break in the future. bye for now.

post-6736-0-16645700-1360588134_thumb.jpg

a class 153 waitis in the platform as the 89 comes to a stand on the down fast.

post-6736-0-77771600-1360588156_thumb.jpg

an over view of station board number 1. the level crossing needs sorting out. inbetween the rails in 4mm ply strips that none of my locos will pass over. im toying with the idea of OHL reoval from the sidings. its clear all track will need lifting on all boards and will be relaid in the same layout but the ballast foam needs removing. big question is should i remove all the OHL altogether?

post-6736-0-89542100-1360588179_thumb.jpg

89 and 153 sit on the boards giving a taste of things to come.

post-6736-0-03904000-1360588222_thumb.jpg

the wiring seems in good order but has yet to be tested.

post-6736-0-06685800-1360588325_thumb.jpg

the ballast foam afet touching it with my finger. nothing remained and there was no residue on my finger!

post-6736-0-91208500-1360588543_thumb.jpg

this is board number 6. the river bridge board. same rotten foam ballast and broken OHL masts. the dust was unreal on both boards.

more pics when ive recharged my camera!!!

cheers

Archived