Bachmann Virgin Voyager

• RMweb Premium

I have just obtained one of the three car Voyager sets without track plus the extra coach. The paperwork with the set does not say which way round the coaches should be or where to put the fourth coach.

Can anyone tell me what the order of the coach numbers should be starting with the first class end of the train? I tried to see the coach numbers but they are so small that I cannot read them which makes things rather awkward and meant that looking in a stock list does not really help!

Thank you in advance for any help received and sorry to ask a rather silly question in the first place as I feel I should have been able to sort it out without help.

Chris

Can anyone tell me what the order of the coach numbers should be starting with the first class end of the train? I tried to see the coach numbers but they are so small that I cannot read them which makes things rather awkward and meant that looking in a stock list does not really help!

Chris, not wishing to sound stupid, how are we to identify the coaches if you cannot distinguish them by number?

A 4-car Voyager is formed DMS-MS(A)-MS(B)-DMF. I would get a magnifying glass on the case, because you need to get them in the order 603xx-607xx-602xx-604xx.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for that. I got my magnifying glass out and found the numbers. It does help turning the light in the room onto full! So now I now which order the coaches go I have to ask if it matters which way round the two centre cars are as they are very different at each end. I am sure I used to have a leaflet produced by Virgin that showed when everything is on a Voyager. It was mainly to show people where the seats were and the toilets and shop but it would be very helpful if I could find it right now! Moving house at the end of May is playing havoc with my filing system!

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Thank you both very much the photo and the floor plan are exactly what was needed. I know I have an original of that floor plan but not sure where it hs been filed for safe keeping at present!

Once again many thanks.

Chris

don't know how helpful it is with the model, but a floor plan is available on the joyce whitchurch website

I am glad that I found this thread as I had the same question in relation to the 5-car Class 221 Super Voyagers. Obviously the floor plan covers both classes. However, as a matter of interest, can anyone explain why the coaches are identified as A, B, C, D and F? Is there a reason why there isn't a coach E or a coach K for that matter in a 'double length train'?

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

was there ever a proposal/intention to add an additional intermediate car to the units to make 5 or 6 car units (either/or both classes)? would explain how E & K were kept spare, these vehicles presumably be similar to coaches B & C?

A & F are always the driving cars, D is the 'shop' car so normal coaches are B,C and E

more surprised actually that they used the letter 'I' - i didn't think this was usually used (to avoid confusion with the number 1)

pendo sets don't have a coach I (layout plan here) , don't think BR trains did either

Keefer,

I'm not aware that there was ever any plan to run Voyager units as 6-car sets, although your suggestion sound plausible.

Interestingly, I have found another two plans (page 2 on http://virgintrains.elviscommunications.net/temp/pdf/seating-plan.pdf or http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/assets/pdf/global/seating-plan.pdf), both of which indicates that these coaches in the Class 221 sets are A to E and F to L (omitting I). However, I have found a third plan (http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/media/61862/voyager_seat_plan.pdf) which has the same reference letters as the one that you linked to in post #5.

I have therefore come to the conclusion that the referencing depends on whether the unit was operating a West Coast or Cross Country service. Those on the West Coast Services are A, B, C, D and E, while those on Cross County services are A, B, C, D and F. Unfortunately this still doesn't explain why coach E appears to be missing from the Cross Country units other than it is to achieve some form of consistency with other stock such as HST sets.

Regards

David

Archived