NBR Level Crossing Gates

Bit the bullet today, dismantled the big casting from the end of the gate

post-11150-0-04958800-1353442237_thumb.jpg

post-11150-0-18372600-1353442288_thumb.jpg

secured to the casting by four bolts, which did not break - result, the casting forms a pocket which slides over the end of the gate, we need to remove it to access the nuts on the end of the tie bars. This is a seriously heavy lump of metal -

a 3 man lift

post-11150-0-74031400-1353442678_thumb.jpg

post-11150-0-08640200-1353442717_thumb.jpg

the casting was manhandled into the shed so work can begin removing all the layers of paint & rust. It seems to have been painted black/white/black/white/black, with the base colour orange ( presumably the primer - or were level crossing gates once orange? )the casting is in quite good condition and will be given a coat of primer once we have taken it back to bright metal.

• 1 month later...

Lochty,

Excellent job so far and congratulations on preserving our past.  Attached are photos of a pair of (marked) NBR copper level crossing gate lamps. They are quite small only about 1 foot tall and only have a red glass on one side. I have only ever seen this pair so I guess they are not 'common' - especially as they have nice NBR markings.  As you can see the vessel slides in.

Fixing is a very strange arrangement- a sort of clamp beneath each case.

I suspect a man of your means could actually fabricate a representation!  If you need more info drop me a PM, I am afraid I am a long way from the Kingdom though!

Cheers Tony

post-4594-0-52204300-1356877170_thumb.jpg

post-4594-0-42805600-1356877214_thumb.jpg

post-4594-0-11508400-1356877249_thumb.jpg

post-4594-0-88981500-1356877274_thumb.jpg

Lochty,

Excellent job so far and congratulations on preserving our past.  Attached are photos of a pair of (marked) NBR copper level crossing gate lamps. They are quite small only about 1 foot tall and only have a red glass on one side. I have only ever seen this pair so I guess they are not 'common' - especially as they have nice NBR markings.  As you can see the vessel slides in.

Fixing is a very strange arrangement- a sort of clamp beneath each case.

I suspect a man of your means could actually fabricate a representation!  If you need more info drop me a PM, I am afraid I am a long way from the Kingdom though!

Cheers Tony

Tony

What a great find, the lamps would be easier to replicate than the NBR signal lamps ( and I have that to do x 3 ). The top of the lamp has a family likeness to the signal lamp. The method of  securing the lamp is intriguing.

cheers Lochty

• 1 year later...

Tony

What a great find, the lamps would be easier to replicate than the NBR signal lamps ( and I have that to do x 3 ). The top of the lamp has a family likeness to the signal lamp. The method of  securing the lamp is intriguing.

cheers Lochty

Re the Steven style level crossing gates at Broughty, here is a photo of my set at Arbroath recently put in position but not yet permanently fixed.

The footbridge likewise needs to be fixed, but it has been painted since this photo was taken.

The cabin was mocked up a long time ago, and needs to be replaced by a more to scale version - it's on the "to do," list!

Like quite a few other locations the gates were different on each side but that just adds to their individuality.

post-21954-0-94794400-1392559533_thumb.jpg

They are made from three layers of Slaters Microstrip, with 20thou wire as part of the sandwich - fiddly, but very effective, I think.

Hope you like them.

Archived