A couple of lineside oddments..

It has been a real privilege to be asked to make this...

post-4034-0-82107000-1351067591_thumb.jpg

I had no way to get the wires to where the mechanical detection was intended to be, on the extended sleeper ends, so a floating base detector was used..

post-4034-0-98328000-1351067702_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-67417600-1351067782_thumb.jpg

And a complete leadoff timber renewal... It's an estimate but i think about 200 wire splices were made throughout the 11 day relaying.

post-4034-0-03980700-1351068205_thumb.jpg

An interesting set up and nice to that you do on occasion get asked to do new mechanical work. Please give more details, is the "Floating Wheel" used as a selector? Mick.

The floating wheel is used to provide conditional detection to one disc signal. The whole job included four mechanical facing points and three trailing points and one trap all with mechanical detection. I can only really comment on the bits i actually did.

Its a shame the baseplates under the IBJ's are so poorly installed, when so much effort has gone into other aspects of the job.

The two on the nearer timber are Pan V baseplates which have two Pan clip housings on each side, when for an 6 bolt IBJ you actually need baseplates with one central housing on each side. There are five such current standard baseplates to choose from. Three for inclined track the Pan14, Pan14 SG and NRS1, and two for vertical track the V4N2 and the V4N2 SG. The baseplates on the far timber are either a Pan14 or V4N2 type, which are the same general shape but with a flat or inclined surface to the rail seat. As this is vertical track and e clips have been used the baseplate should be of the V4N2 SG sub type. (SG cast iron is stronger than the standard grey flake type, hence the SG version of the baseplates should be used with the higher tension e clips.

The V4N2 baseplates should also all have a nylon sitting between the baseplate and the rail on the top of which the clip bears. The far yellow clip can be seen to be resting on a white nylon which is correct, the nearer clip is however missing its nylon. If the baseplate has been clipped to the rail without the nylons and used as a pattern to drill the chair screw holes. The baseplate and hence the chair screw holes may have been offset to one side by the thickness of the nylon, this will give a gauge fault that can only be corrected by pulling the timber through a few inches and drilling it again. Which is a rather poor way to treat a new and rather expensive length of timber.

Its a shame the baseplates under the IBJ's are so poorly installed, when so much effort has gone into other aspects of the job.

The two on the nearer timber are Pan V baseplates which have two Pan clip housings on each side, when for an 6 bolt IBJ you actually need baseplates with one central housing on each side. There are five such current standard baseplates to choose from. Three for inclined track the Pan14, Pan14 SG and NRS1, and two for vertical track the V4N2 and the V4N2 SG. The baseplates on the far timber are either a Pan14 or V4N2 type, which are the same general shape but with a flat or inclined surface to the rail seat. As this is vertical track and e clips have been used the baseplate should be of the V4N2 SG sub type. (SG cast iron is stronger than the standard grey flake type, hence the SG version of the baseplates should be used with the higher tension e clips.

The V4N2 baseplates should also all have a nylon sitting between the baseplate and the rail on the top of which the clip bears. The far yellow clip can be seen to be resting on a white nylon which is correct, the nearer clip is however missing its nylon. If the baseplate has been clipped to the rail without the nylons and used as a pattern to drill the chair screw holes. The baseplate and hence the chair screw holes may have been offset to one side by the thickness of the nylon, this will give a gauge fault that can only be corrected by pulling the timber through a few inches and drilling it again. Which is a rather poor way to treat a new and rather expensive length of timber.

Amen to that - I have expended A LOT of hot air as TME trying to get PW staff to install and care for glued IBJ's using the proper baseplates and LH clips etc rather than fudging it and putting RH clips in back to front. Using EG49 concrete sleepers under them with 113lb rail and fitting the wrong insulators resulting in an AL35 fault was also a common issue. At least the Basingstoke resignalling took most of mine out including more than a few that have given more grey hair than I should have.

Amen to that - I have expended A LOT of hot air as TME trying to get PW staff to install and care for glued IBJ's using the proper baseplates and LH clips etc rather than fudging it and putting RH clips in back to front. Using EG49 concrete sleepers under them with 113lb rail and fitting the wrong insulators resulting in an AL35 fault was also a common issue. At least the Basingstoke resignalling took most of mine out including more than a few that have given more grey hair than I should have.

Is there a correct insulator for 113lb rail in EG49's?

I would have thought it was a bit unlikely for a rail section that has not been rolled since the early 1950's. :-)

Although it is strange that according to GEOGIS we have been installing the stuff by the mile, over the last few years.

Presumably it was stored in the same tunnel as the strategic reserve steam engines.

Not really my department to comment i'm afraid. I'll check the date of the photo as it may have been taken before the road was in signed back into use... Note the rail head condition.

It is still not good even if the road is as yet unused, as the timber will have to be redrilled for the correct baseplates screw positions. It is probably more likely that a passing dinosaur will fill the spare holes by c**ping in them than the PW staff will plug them properly. So the spare holes will remain as a nice path to carry damp and the spores of decay into the heart of the timber.

Even if the holes are plugged, if the new holes are close to the old the fixity of the screws will be less than if there was just the one set of holes. The only real way of making good would be to remove that timber for reuse elsewhere and fit another to be drilled for the new baseplates.

Is there a correct insulator for 113lb rail in EG49's?

I would have thought it was a bit unlikely for a rail section that has not been rolled since the early 1950's. :-)

Although it is strange that according to GEOGIS we have been installing the stuff by the mile, over the last few years.

Presumably it was stored in the same tunnel as the strategic reserve steam engines.

OK OK - what's a "A" between track engineers? :P

But yes, the incorrect baseplate was the first thing I noticed too

About one nano second before the missing clips, nylons and the over-driven chair screws?

Followed by a quick scan over the ballast, the slide chairs in the background, and the tripping hazard in the foreground.

Archived