Hi all

I have installed and checked all of my point motors and now i need to trim off the excess rod.

Can anyone please give me some advice on the best way to do this with out wrecking all the hard work of lining them up so they'd work correctly?

Can they be cut level with the rail or do they need to be cut below?

Thanks in advance

Mark

I presume the rod comes up from underneath the motor? If so when I was fitting my point motors I held them in place with double sided tape while I marked the screw holes, and also marked the rod with permanent marker at the point where it came through the hole. Then I removed the motor, drilled the screw holes and snipped the rod to length with a pair of side cutters. All my rods are cut level with or just below the height of the sleepers.

Not sure if this helps you or not?

Mark

I simply fitted the point motor with the pin sticking through the tie bar. When I has happy it was fitted correctly I just snipped the excess of with sharp wire cutters in situ if you get what I mean. A little bit of filing and painting the ends has disguised it.

• RMweb Gold

I used a pair of these from DCC Supplies. They work very well especially on the very hard piano wire I use on the Tortoise motors I use. http://www.dccsuppli...roducts_id=1305 . They're out of stock at present but might be obtainable elsewhere.

Before I had these I used a slitting disc in a mini-drill, but if you're going to do it this way then you do need to take care that you don't damage the tie-bar or partially cut through the point blade! And eye protection is essential as the disc can easily shatter without warning.

I used a pair of these from DCC Supplies. They work very well especially on the very hard piano wire I use on the Tortoise motors I use. http://www.dccsuppli...roducts_id=1305 . They're out of stock at present but might be obtainable elsewhere.

Before I had these I used a slitting disc in a mini-drill, but if you're going to do it this way then you do need to take care that you don't damage the tie-bar or partially cut through the point blade! And eye protection is essential as the disc can easily shatter without warning.

I can find some locally but they are 350mm long. It says they're for soft metal wire and cutting screw and nail heads. This might be a silly question but In the pictures the head size looks the same but overall 150mm longer, that shouldn't matter should it?

• RMweb Premium

I bought a set of guitar string cutters from a music shop. Problem: they won't go very close to the tie bar. I trimmed the excess with my Dremel and the wire melted into the tie bar a bit.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Why not? they do the job well, and there is the best part of 3/4" of blade "still not wrecked" after you have done it

Works best on a brand new set! I had about 20 plated brass screws to shorten. All went well until the last one, which was a steel screw.

:butcher:

Archived