Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold

Cheers, that's what I'm aiming for. :) I'm using Mike's Vallejo Light Orange recommendation as a base and I've been trying to use the Burnt Umber, but I think I've some more practice to do there. If that doesn't come through, then I have a plan to use a different colour and dry brush that on. This is the look that I'm aiming for http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/63508-wainfleet-lincolnshire-son-of-barnum/?p=1286758

Dry brushing is quite a good description and gives an indication of just how little top colour is needed. I should add that you probably want to pick out some of the panels in slightly different shades before applying the graining.

Edited by MikeTrice

• RMweb Gold

Apart from the torpedo vents and the filler caps, that's the roof done. The rainstrips are from a bag of assorted styrene strip. I recommend one of these to go with the bags of standard sizes as it's great for those occasions when you want something a bit left of centre. I've realised (in time) that there is only one toilet at each end. This is obvious really, but I've been labouring under the misapprehension that there was an engraved window at both ends on each side. Luckily I have haven't got to the point of no return here, so I just need to add a couple more partitions (otherwise known as the toilet doors) and make sure I put the engraving into the right window. While dealing with the partitions, I decided to sand them down, so the roof is fitting a lot better now as well.

post-14192-0-94458700-1395771772_thumb.jpg

This is the lead that I cut up with a cleaver and glued into the battery box. Officially it's a bag of 1/4", 1lb (per 17 rods) pieces of pencil lead. I also bought rubber gloves to handle the stuff. It's made a huge difference.

post-14192-0-94003400-1395771773_thumb.jpg

This afternoon or tomorrow, I'll scribe some spare card and start the paint testing :)

Edited by JCL
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Wow thats a large battery box, but as you don't have a dynamo I can understand it! (the real ones would only be about 12-18" wide)

Thats a good view of the underside BTW. I can now explain some of the bits for the underframe. The V iron that you have on the solebar requires a twin somewhere near the midline of the chassis, with a rod going between them. Then mounted on that rod there needs to be a sort of inverted L shape that goes into the centre of the brake cylinder.

I would have thought that there this whole assembly would be repeated at the other end too, as there are very few coaches that only have one brake cylinder.

I bet that lead is helping, although the body is probably quite heavy anyway.

Good work sir!

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Andy. Yep, I went big on the battery box to get the lead in there. I guessed that I wouldn't notice if it was in black unless I got down low. As far as v irons, there does only appear to be one on the diagram I have. I've fretted over that! :)

My last breakfast @ the B&B and it's 5 am and I'm kneading brioche can you believe? Serves me right for not reading the ingredients list properly yesterday - 1tbsp <> 1tsp of yeast! Going out with a bang, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for some Danish guests - last chance if you want in!

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Mike, I meant only one set. Luckily I cut two v hangers out so I can finish that assembly.

I was on ebay the other day, there seems to be a 60' lner underframe diagram on there which helped.

• RMweb Gold

I'm going to put this on hold for a couple of weeks because I need some roof "fixings" and suchlike. In the meantime I'm going to have a go with that Armstrong-Whitworth 1-co-1 that I put plans up for a few weeks ago. It should be easier than the Barnum and, hopefully can be a quickie - did you know I've been badgering on about that orange carriage since 2nd January? Anyway, the 1-co-1 (D9) didn't come to Wainfleet so I've decided to put the build into a different thread here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83896-a-powered-armstrong-whitworth-d9/?p=1398014

Here's where I'm at at the moment:

post-14192-0-70971200-1395955369_thumb.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone

It's been slow going on the modelling front, because it's been pretty busy elsewhere. We closed the B&B a week last Wednesday (now there are a few words that would get you a blank stare over here!), and we're about to start turning it back into a house as we'll not be selling it as a business (of course, there's nothing to stop anyone from turning it back into a B&B). So there's going to be plenty to do before we put it onto the market.

The first thing I'll be doing it packing the layout away. There are only two boards with scenery on and ballast, so I'll take proper care of them. The other boards will have their track taken up and put into a long box. Then it's put all the stock back into their boxes, etc. This means that I'll be on smaller projects for the foreseeable future. I've been enjoying building vehicles, so I'll carry on with that.

The first two things to do will be finishing the Barnum and the Armstrong Whitworth 1-co-1, then I've a couple of other ideas. It'd be easy to start some other stuff right away, but I need to get these two finished before I start some more. Lets just say I'm looking at the possibility of a buying and butchering a County Class 4-4-0 at the moment :) I've just received the relevant copy of Yeadon's register, and now that I know what I'm looking for, I'll be onto Isinglass for some plans.

Talking about the GWR, I don't think it's the first time one of their locos has been on the "Poacher Line". Apart from a GWR W20 railcar at Boston in 1952, in the 1980s I seem to remember that there was some sort of GWR pannier tank scheduled to be at Havenhouse (between Wainfleet and Skegness, and my local station when I was a kid) to be used for filming a scene for The District Nurse with Nerys Hughes.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Kal

Well, once the house is sold we are looking at moving to somewhere just north of Victoria on Vancouver Island, so not as far as the first jump, but a good 14 hours in the car and a ferry ride. It'll all depend on what's available at the time, but at the moment we are thinking of building something.

• Like 1

Hi everyone

It's been slow going on the modelling front, because it's been pretty busy elsewhere. We closed the B&B a week last Wednesday (now there are a few words that would get you a blank stare over here!), and we're about to start turning it back into a house as we'll not be selling it as a business (of course, there's nothing to stop anyone from turning it back into a B& B). So there's going to be plenty to do before we put it onto the market.

The first thing I'll be doing it packing the layout away. There are only two boards with scenery on and ballast, so I'll take proper care of them. The other boards will have their track taken up and put into a long box. Then it's put all the stock back into their boxes, etc. This means that I'll be on smaller projects for the foreseeable future. I've been enjoying building vehicles, so I'll carry on with that.

The first two things to do will be finishing the Barnum and the Armstrong Whitworth 1-co-1, then I've a couple of other ideas. It'd be easy to start some other stuff right away, but I need to get these two finished before I start some more. Lets just say I'm looking at the possibility of a buying and butchering a County Class 4-4-0 at the moment :) I've just received the relevant copy of Yeadon's register, and now that I know what I'm looking for, I'll be onto Isinglass for some plans.

Talking about the GWR, I don't think it's the first time one of their locos has been on the "Poacher Line". Apart from a GWR W20 railcar at Boston in 1952, in the 1980s I seem to remember that there was some sort of GWR pannier tank scheduled to be at Havenhouse (between Wainfleet and Skegness, and my local station when I was a kid) to be used for filming a scene for The District Nurse with Nerys Hughes.

Between 3/40 and 10/40 rail-mounted guns (Possibly all stored from World War 1) were deployed on railways near the coast in Kent,      Essex and Lincolnshire, (Willoughby).  War Department requisitioned GWR Dean Goods No 198 (2559) & 199 (2517) were allocated to      Lincolnshire, at Willoughby, after previously at Brocklesby. A NER class J36 was allocated to Louth, as standby engine for No 199.  These two    locomotives arrived in Kent about 1943/4.  Original WD requisition was for 100 engines, No 100-200, which during 1939/40 had their ATC     apparatus removed and were fitted with Westinghouse brakes.  No 195-200 were fitted with pannier tanks and condensing gear,        and all were painted black. (RCTS Locomotives of the GWR part 4, page D76, part 14 page P87).        

There was more variety than you realise.

• Like 1

Cheers Kal

Well, once the house is sold we are looking at moving to somewhere just north of Victoria on Vancouver Island, so not as far as the first jump, but a good 14 hours in the car and a ferry ride. It'll all depend on what's available at the time, but at the moment we are thinking of building something.

Give my regards to Gastown

• Like 1

War Department requisitioned GWR Dean Goods No 198 (2559) & 199 (2517) were allocated to      Lincolnshire, at Willoughby, after previously at Brocklesby.

Just to hijack the thread a little, do you have any more info on the time they spent at Brocklesby? Seems a strange choice of location to me

Edited by Bedders

Agree with Bedders though I have a slightly different perspective. Do you mean NBR J 36 locomotives as from my recollection the furthest south they got during WW2 was Malton NorthYorkshire where they worked on local goods traffic

Just to hijack the thread a little, do you have any more info on the time they spend at Brocklesby? Seems a strange choice of location to me

I posted that off my database-I think that was sourced from the RCTS and is the sum total of information I have on the GWR engines.

Agree with Bedders though I have a slightly different perspective. Do you mean NBR J 36 locomotives as from my recollection the furthest south they got during WW2 was Malton NorthYorkshire where they worked on local goods traffic

I sourced this one from an old magazine-subsequently checking in Yeadon's Register revealed nothing, although the Register has omissions.  I am searching for further information on this.

I sourced this one from an old magazine-subsequently checking in Yeadon's Register revealed nothing, although the Register has omissions.  I am searching for further information on this.

Yeadon's allocations give Blaydon and Borough Gardens as the furthest South for J36s

6/1957

Railway Observer

The new two-car Derby DMU sets (Class 114) in Lincolnshire were not adequately powered for the existing schedules with the addition of 

a van or horsebox, unlike the lightweight units. Some services such as Skegness-Grantham and Lincoln-Boston were run as three coach 

sets with an extra power car. Examples noted in traffic were 50008/50007/56007, 50011/50012/56012, 50038/50039/56015 

and 50015/50035/56035.

Spare trailers stored  56016/25/40 at Metheringham, 56010/39 at Bardney and 56004/20/22/37/38/44/45 near Sleaford South Junction.

• RMweb Gold

There's been a lot of posts since I last came on! I found this on Wikipedia

E50049/E56049 was introduced with 230 hp versions of the power unit, which proved to have a much more acceptable power to weight ratio, and during 1959 and 1960 all the class were fitted with these more powerful engines and settled down to work most Lincolnshire local services (with regular visits to South Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire) for over 25 years. One of the class (one of the cars 50040) along with another 3-car unit was on one of the last passenger service from Louth to Grimsby on 20 December 1980.

In more recent years, the Southern arrived in Skegness with Tangmere and a Thumper both doing excursions

6614149131_77329de576.jpg

Thumper in Lincolnshire by Rich_D3167, on Flickr

• Like 1