GWR Self Contained Buffers

SteveBedding

Good evening all.

Does anyone have (or can point me in the direction of a good source) a simple dimensioned drawing or diagram of the typical self-contained buffers used on GWR wagons?

wagons_gwr_open_wagon_92943_didcot.jpg

I believe that there were some variations in the size of the buffer head over the years (11", 12", & 13" (or 1'3"?)) so I wouldn't be too surprised if there various answers to the question.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position at the moment to go and measure one so I'll have to hope someone out there has the information to hand - many thanks in anticipation :)

Steve

Good evening all.

Does anyone have (or can point me in the direction of a good source) a simple dimensioned drawing or diagram of the typical self-contained buffers used on GWR wagons?

wagons_gwr_open_wagon_92943_didcot.jpg

I believe that there were some variations in the size of the buffer head over the years (11", 12", & 13" (or 1'3"?)) so I wouldn't be too surprised if there various answers to the question.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position at the moment to go and measure one so I'll have to hope someone out there has the information to hand - many thanks in anticipation :)

Steve

Hi Steve, have a look at the buffers on the Bach/Farish 30t Bogie Bolster GW version, its a very nice rendition of the GW self contained buffer (373-927), Andy.

I can't recall a good drawing of the self-contained buffer. GW Goods Wagons (Aktins, Beard and Tourret) has good pics and sufficient dimensions. Not sure if there is a good drawing in the Great Western Wagons Appendix book (OPC, 1974, Jim Russell).

Buffer head from headstock was standard 18". Buffer body length was 11.5". Buffer head shank diameter was 7.5". Buffer head diameter was, for SWB wagons, 12" and later (when the RCH specs became established, late '30s, say?) 13". For longer wagons or specials like shunter trucks, buffer head diameter was 14", 15", 16", 18" or 20", although I can't find a diagram that specifies 15".

• RMweb Gold

Not much in the way of drawings, but a good close up photo in both the original volume and the appendix.

Nick

Yes and he mentions on page 137 the fact they have 15'' heads.

Thanks everyone for you prompt replies - there is certainly enough information to get started with :)

Unfortunately when working away from home, I can't just pop along to my local line and measure the real thing so you assistance is greatly appreciated; by some strange chance, I just happen to be travelling with copies of GW Goods Wagons (Aktins, et al) and Russell's GW Wagons Plan Book - but not the Appendix :(

I must have been missing the wood for the trees but for all the times I've been through the references I'd not been able to gleen these overall dimensions. From what hass been said (thanks Miss Prism) would it be fair to say the gross dimensions are:

post-6085-0-42204300-1351631856.jpg

From the picture I used as the example this would make the buffer body casting arround 9.5" increasing to approx 10" at the rear and the thickness of the buffer head arround 1.5"-2" thick?

What I forgot to say when I originally asked the question is why... Basically, I'm looking for a way to produce a 2mm scale buffer which would now look something like this:

post-6085-0-69424500-1351632850.jpg

[Please excuse the very rough sketches - I haven't got round to installing the proper drawing software yet :( ]

Thanks again

Steve

Not a GWR one, but here is my scrappy drawing and a couple of photos of a BR(W) one that I measured on a china clay wagon at Wheal Martyn museum a couple of years ago. I suspect that they are similar in size.

Note that some of the dimensions are circumference, not diameter... measured with the help of a piece of string IIRC.

I was going to do a proper drawing and get some turned but found out that the Association buffer project were doing SC buffers and never took it any further. My china clay wagons are still waiting for buffers now :(

Regards, Andy

post-9623-0-97188500-1351892136_thumb.jpg

post-9623-0-27586500-1351892151_thumb.jpg

post-9623-0-46348800-1351892168_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...

Archived