Check Railed Curves

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

I'm currently playing with Templot trying to finalise some of the smaller details before I print off the track for the new layout. Have got slightly confused with one area.

I was thinking that the layout will comprise both modern flat bottom track for the 'main' line into the station, but retail bullhead for the Wenworth branch (and a couple of low use sidings.)

My problem comes with the checkrail for the curve of the Wenworth branch, I think from photos the real thing had a continuous check rail which started on the point and then continued onto the curve.

However my problem is that the point is FB and the curve is BH, and I'm not exactly sure on how to deal with the transition.

post-54-12555131977327_thumb.jpg

How about continuing the bullhead check onto the flatbottom, and joining it to the end of the wing rail. The combination of flatbottom running rail and bullhead check is quite common on 304mm to the foot curves.

• RMweb Gold

How about continuing the bullhead check onto the flatbottom, and joining it to the end of the wing rail. The combination of flatbottom running rail and bullhead check is quite common on 304mm to the foot curves.

Certainly looks like thats going to be the way to go.

I think that in a "real life" scenario as you plan the Main would "possibly" still be BH til fairly recently.....

Quite possibly, but the model will be a lot more interesting with FB track :P

One 'pedant's corner' question, which has nothing to do with checkrails. 'Wenworth' doesn't sound remotely Cornish - and since this is a representation of Bodmin, do you not mean Wenfordbridge? 'Wenworthy' is much more likely. Or have I missed something? More helpful, possibly is the rather similar example of the junction at Redbridge (Southampton):

http://paulsphotos.picturebook.org.uk/p60903830.html

http://linesidephotosthebrera.fotopic.net/p59943581.html (Nice photo apart from the motive power, lots of interesting detail)

The Salisbury line certainly was bullhead, joining to flatbottom, but I wouldn't like to say what it's like now:

http://railwayphotos1981-2000.fotopic.net/p55658133.html

http://nevardmedia2.fotopic.net/p8670275.html

This suggests that it still is:

http://gridler49.fotopic.net/p3497384.html

Adam

• RMweb Gold

One 'pedant's corner' question, which has nothing to do with checkrails. 'Wenworth' doesn't sound remotely Cornish - and since this is a representation of Bodmin, do you not mean Wenfordbridge? 'Wenworthy' is much more likely. Or have I missed something? More helpful, possibly is the rather similar example of the junction at Redbridge (Southampton):

Not missed anything...

I couldnt remember the name of the branch, did a quick google and clearly the website I got the name off was wrong..........

What I am referring to is the branch to Boscarn Junction, the layout itself will still be called Bodmin.

Thanks for the links to photos.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not the best picture in the world but below is Mossend East Curve nr Glasgow. Both newly relaid in the last 2 years, both with flatbottom runnning rails with bullhead continuous check due to radius of the curve.

Cheers

Jeff.

Fantastic,

Looks just what i need.

• 2 weeks later...

Not the best picture in the world but below is Mossend East Curve nr Glasgow. Both newly relaid in the last 2 years, both with flatbottom runnning rails with bullhead continuous check due to radius of the curve.

Cheers

Jeff.

Presumably there is also a bullhead check lump? Or is it a flexible switch and the check rail starts after a short break?

Presumably there is also a bullhead check lump? Or is it a flexible switch and the check rail starts after a short break?

Not sure what you're meaning penrhos1920, the S&C is flatbottom necessitating a change it check rail section where the old butts onto the new. Check starts at the usual place, just before the crossing.

Jeff.

Remember not to use left handed (blue) clips where the right handed 401a (red) type are required. :-)

Ah - I love a man who know his Pan clips !!! - nice to see them using oak keys in the BH too - not panlock's - shame about the coachscrews being driven right down onto the baseplate though - a pretty common occurrence in new installation I find.

Remember not to use left handed (blue) clips where the right handed 401a (red) type are required. :-)

I'm assuming that if a red one have been used here it would have been inserted from the other side - so would appear on the left hand side of the sleeper as we're looking at it.

However, what I'm slightly unclear on is when red or blue ones should be used. (And all the ones I recall seeing are brown anyway...)

What are the 'rules' regarding installation of blue and red pandrol clips?

(I'm in the process of making a model representation of this kind of track at the moment, and I wouldn't like to get it wrong!)

nice to see them using oak keys in the BH too - not panlock's - shame about the coachscrews being driven right down onto the baseplate though - a pretty common occurrence in new installation I find.

panlocks are banned in checks so its either wood or some newfangled steel key shaped like the wood.

agree about the screws but thats how they came from NRS.

Jeff.

• RMweb Gold

I assume that by questioning the coach bolts being screwed home tight you would prefer to see a slightly slack screw or some method of tension/torque washer to allow for movement and fret?

I also would be interested to know the difference between the Pandrol clips, most I have seen on new track are painted black. I imagine there are handed clips for directional lines and curves, but are there different spring tensions for different weight or type of rail?

Thanks chaps

The coachscrews when newly installed are designed to be screwed down to within 5mm of the baseplate. The tension is maintained by the resilient plastic ferrule fitted between coachscrew & baseplate. This then provides a maintenance tolerance that can be utilised during the sleepers life.

Archived