Tiebar for hand made turnouts

I was shown a picture of an I shaped tiebar some time ago which looked better than just a piece of sleeper strip, I thought I would give it a try.

post-1131-0-00664300-1351675731.jpg

I am building a P4 B6 and thought it might a good test beb. I used a piece of C&L double sided sleeper strip 1.06mm thick. I soldered (to strengthen the PCB strip) a piece of 20 thou Nickle silver strip filed down to about 1mm wide to the rear of the tiebar, leaving it longer than the tiebar at one end, in case I needed to attach an operating rod to it.

I reduced the width of the tiebar in the center to the widrh of the nickle silver strip, leaving a paddle at each end to solder the switch rails to. Then removed the copperclad from the centre section

post-1131-0-89928200-1351675780_thumb.jpg

Not soldered in yet but gives an idea of what it will look like, a bit of paint could help to hide it a bit more visually

post-1131-0-47608500-1351675844_thumb.jpg

Pleased with the effect and the shape could be altered a bit if necessary to adapt with different point operating methods, and the paddle might benefit from being a bit thinner.

I could have done with those a few weeks back... I got called to a track circuit fault... The pway had been out and put uninsulated tiebars on. I read the event log. It had taken around 15 hours before they actually shorted the track circuit. The client was none too impressed when i explained the fault ..

Archived