Help, what have I done to RMweb?

Hello all,

what have I done to RMweb? On the wife's side of the puter RMweb looks like this.

post-8920-0-71386700-1352374639_thumb.jpg

Pretty much as I would expect it to look.

But when I go to my side, it looks like this.

post-8920-0-59455100-1352374708_thumb.jpg

post-8920-0-34961100-1352374684_thumb.jpg

I'm starting to think that it must be a virus, I have a firewall running and AVG anti virus running.

Any pointer will be much appreciated.

OzzyO.

Looks to me as if one of the css files have not loaded correctly (they format the display in the browser).

IPB uses an unbelievable number of them (and still doesn't manage to get them to work properly - I get errors with them on every page load - using error console in Firefox), it not only loads them as separate files (calls to the server) but also embeds the code inconsistently all over the page. It is a wonder anything ever works.

Shouldn't be a cookie issue and is more likely to be caching.

The browser seems to just give up/loose connection before the css files are applied. I have experienced similar problems and usually the forced reload works.

Load the page and then press Ctrl+F5 together to refresh the page

if that fails then

Clear all temporary internet files, cookies etc. and try again.

Thanks for that, it seems to have worked, but as I'm replying to your post I'm getting a lot of strange symbols like this </strong>. and two browse buttons for attaching files.Now to try the same thing on some of the other sites that have gone funny. Like face book and my Emails.OzzyO.PS. it's not setting out my writing as I'm wanting it to do as well. This PS should be on a separate line below my name.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that, it seems to have worked, but as I'm replying to your post I'm getting a lot of strange symbols like this </strong>. and two browse buttons for attaching files.Now to try the same thing on some of the other sites that have gone funny. Like face book and my Emails.OzzyO.PS. it's not setting out my writing as I'm wanting it to do as well. This PS should be on a separate line below my name.

Sounds like you have network issues on that PC - causing drop outs of style sheets etc.

Have you run any anti-virus / trojan checks recently ?

Hello Beast,

the last scan was run at 10;30 and I'm running one now. I've just gone to the more options box and the font options bar is missing along with all the other things that should be on it. Thanks for any help, but please keep it simple. OzzyO.

PS. I've just found that the go to top of page button is not now working.

Hello all,

the browser is Mozilla Firefox, I've just run disk clean up no temp files showing. I was going to attach a photo to show you but that's not working. I'm thinking that it may have to go to hospital after all.

The scan has finished showing no viruses.

OzzyO.

post-8920-726963_thumb.jpg

Both of those problems you give:

the visibility of the pseudo html code </strong>

and the loss of white space

are a good indicator of some javascript problem - as I experience them ALL the time with this IPB editor.

When clearing temp files you should also clear the cache (in the same box in Firefox)

When clearing temp files you should also clear the cache (in the same box in Firefox)

Hello Kenton,how do I clean the temp files and cache in Firefox. All I normal use is the disc clean up that comes up when I press start.OzzyO.

Try CCleaner its a free download - It's a cr*p cleaner it eliminates all kinds of rubbish. I run it once a week and the computer runs sweeter and faster afterwards.

Download CCleaner - Update Your CCleaner

Thanks to all who have replied, it's starting to get back to some sort of normal.

But I'm going to do a bit of a test on here.

post-8920-0-16960500-1352388831_thumb.jpg

That's looking better.

Now all I have to do is see how the rest of the puter works.

Thanks for all your help,

OzzyO.

Hello Kenton,how do I clean the temp files and cache in Firefox. All I normal use is the disc clean up that comes up when I press start.OzzyO.

Sorry OzzyO for the delay in response. go to Tools -> Clear Recent History -> check the cache, offline Website data, Browsing history and then click clear now (you may need to click details to open up the list.

Try CCleaner its a free download - It's a cr*p cleaner it eliminates all kinds of rubbish. I run it once a week and the computer runs sweeter and faster afterwards.

Download CCleaner - Update Your CCleaner

Sorry OzzyO for the delay in response. go to Tools -> Clear Recent History -> check the cache, offline Website data, Browsing history and then click clear now (you may need to click details to open up the list.

Hello all,

thanks for the reply Kenton, but after using the cleaner that Main Man pointed me towards it all seems to be all right.

OzzyO.

Hello all,

thanks for the reply Kenton, but after using the cleaner that Main Man pointed me towards it all seems to be all right.

OzzyO.

Hello OzzyO,

Get into the habit of using that cleaner before you shut your pc down each time - you'll be amazed.

Also on the front screen of ccleaner, in the windows list (should be visible on first screen) tick everything except wipe free space, ticking that makes cleaning process a lot longer to complete.

Also select the applications tab and tick everything on there.

Downside is you will probably have to enter passwords for pages that require logon id, but it's better that than having the computer 'save' them. PC's are not good at keeping these secrets especially when there are some cybervermin around that seem to want to make it their lives mission to get all your 'secret' data.

No connection other than satisfied user.

Archived