Scammel Townsman

br2975

I have a slide of a Scammell Scarab in NCL livery in 1981 in their depot opposite Temple Mills wagon works, though it looked parked out of use.by then. It is possible they were used off the highway where their small turning circle might have come in handy for moving trailers round the depots.

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing one delivering to Woolworths in Llanelli in about 1972. By this time, the 'Sundries' fleet (of which this vehicle would have been part) would have gone over to NCL- BR retained its own vehicles for larger loads, and hired in some of its Rail Express Parcels fleet off NCL.

I can imagine some being retained as depot shunters long after they had ceased to be used on the highway; NCL used Scammell couplings on some of its delivery fleet well into the 1980s. By this time, the road tractors would have included Bedfords and even Volvos.

• RMweb Gold

Being pedantic I doubt if BR as such ever phased them out. If my researchs are correct the Townsman entered production in 1967 following the Scarab and BR's entire road delivery fleet was transferred to NCL in 1969 with full loads cartage and parcels collection/delivery vehicles then hired back in. So unless BR had any Townsmen in departmental use it lost the lot when they went to NCL in 1969 and it then depended entirely on whether or not BR contracted any for full loads work which I would think was probably unlikely but you never know as some full loads traffic was on town etc deliveries.

On the Western as far as I can remember the Townsmen were only used on sundries work and thus stayed with NCL traffic flows.

• RMweb Premium

They would all have been withdrawn by about 1986/87. The reason would have been changes in the construction and use regulations requiring all wheels to be braked. On all Scammell 3 wheelers the front steering wheel was unbraked and it was uneconomical to convert them. Also the Scammell type coupling was being phased out in favour of the fifth wheel type.

Thank you all for your responses.

As the relevant layout will be a National Carriers Limited depot, set circa 1973 it appears I'll be able to use a Townsman or two.

Picked a Corgi Trackside one up today for £3.00 - unfortunately it's still in the yellow 'Railfreight' livery, but that can be easily overcome.

For the time being, the one in the photo was at the Barry Transport Extravaganza, June 2004.

Brian R

post-1599-0-08867700-1352818466_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for your responses.

As the relevant layout will be a National Carriers Limited depot, set circa 1973 it appears I'll be able to use a Townsman or two.

Picked a Corgi Trackside one up today for £3.00 - unfortunately it's still in the yellow 'Railfreight' livery, but that can be easily overcome.

For the time being, the one in the photo was at the Barry Transport Extravaganza, June 2004.

Brian R

Brian

If changing your model to NCL livery, BEWARE of photos of any preserved vehicles, as this one in particular has incorrect branding, always go for an original photo.

Corgi got the branding right on their "Noddy van" despite NCL not having any.

Merf.

Thanks Merf - I'll keep that in mind.

Can you think of any other (4mm scale ) vehicles currently available suitable for an early 70s NCL sundries depot ?

Brian R

Bedford TK rigid hard-top and artic (there are some about, but I can't think who made them)

Leyland or Dodge LAD cab tractor (Base Toys)

Karrier Bantam tractor(Base Toys)

Leyland FG van (Base Toys)

Ford D-series tractor (Base Toys)

You could probably get away with some BRS vehicles tucked away; depending on the location, they could be maintained at an NCL site.

Bedford TK rigid hard-top and artic

Leyland or Dodge LAD cab tractor

Karrier Bantam tractor

Leyland FG van

You could probably get away with some BRS vehicles tucked away; depending on the location, they could be maintained at an NCL site.

Also Ford D vans and artics

And B R engineers vehicles were maintained at many NCL depots.

You will find some NCL stuff on 'flickr'

Merf.

Archived