A few X04 questions

Charlie

I have recently done some maintenance on some tank engines which have these motors fitted and as a result have some questions with which I hope learned forum members can help with.

The first is that one sounds rather rattly, I'm not sure where this noise is coming from as everything appears to be securely in place so are there any areas I need to check specifically?

The second is with regards to the magnet on the back. I know that it is to never be removed, but I was wondering whether adding small rare earth magnets to boost the strength of it would be worthwhile or more likely to cause problems?

Many thanks!

Many years ago, the late Model Railway Constructor modded an X04 with a vertical 12BA screw and locknut, which pressed down on the armature shaft. It passed through a tapped hole in the top frame, thus giving a means of taking up loose tolerances in the bearings. It was said to make the motor much quieter.

As for changing the magnets, I've never found the need. Having overhauled hundreds of Triang/Hornby locos as a service agent, I could probably count the number of motors that needed re-magnetising (I have the tool) in single figures. Unlike the Hornby-Dublo ones, where I included a re-mag as part of the overhaul...

Stewart

I agree with Stewart that a good magnet in an X04 is sufficient - mind you I did have acquire some ropey ones Stewart kindly remagged for me! As to the diagram for quietening the X04, I would also be interested if it is available? Having quite a lot of them, I can experiment on one to see how it goes.

Archived