Complete system failure

drewn

Help -Big Time!

My layout was running fine earlier today - power is via a Hornby SELECT ( Yeah I know!!!)

Following a derailment, none of my locos respond to their address settings except ONE. I would point out the following;-

1. I tried giving that particular loco a new address - and it was successful (possibly indicating that the power unit is OK)

2. I tried the same operation on the other locos, without success

3.Many of those locos were in electrically isolated sidings at the time of the derailment so why should they be affected?

The questions then are :-

Have I knackered my power unit?

Have I blown all the decoders?

Any advice men?

• RMweb Gold

Your derailment obviously resulted in a short circuit, which may well have caused all the decoders to have lost their programming. They may have reverted to address 3, or some other random number. I am not familiar with Select, but check the manual to see how you can regain the control of the decoders.

• RMweb Gold

Sounds odd all the decoders resetting because of a short. A power spike perhaps? Ideally if you have a loco that was nowhere near the track try addressing that one. Being unfamilar with the select I would use the programming track if you have one. If you try on the normal track you could reset other locos.

Don

Meil, Thanks for your reply, but at the time I did try try to reprogramme other locos, without success. I can't understand why ONE loco,address 09, still works ok.

I have now had the whole layout switched off overnight ( after all, my dad used to say "let it cool down and it'll be alright) but I was 8 at the time!

So we'll see what happens later

Drew

Well, I'm sure you've all had sleepless nights worrying about my problem ( oh no, that was just me!!!) and I'm pleased to say, it has resolved itself!

Switched back on today, and all locos worked, even retained their previous address.

I honestly don't know what's happened but maybe my old man was right all those years ago

Thanks for all your inputs

Drew

Well, I'm sure you've all had sleepless nights worrying about my problem ( oh no, that was just me!!!) and I'm pleased to say, it has resolved itself!

Switched back on today, and all locos worked, even retained their previous address.

I honestly don't know what's happened but maybe my old man was right all those years ago

Thanks for all your inputs

Drew

Is your new system on your Christmas list....????

My pal has used a select for 12 months until it drove completely bonkers with failures..........he is now a very satisfied lenz 100 user.

Pleased to hear it has resolved itself.

Bob.

Bob,

In fairness to the Select unit, it meets my requirements. I don't particularly need to change CV's, I only run two trains at a time, I don't particularly want sound and for the money I paid it's quite good value . Plus, I've only had two problems in over a year.

Yes, I would love to have a bells and whistles system, but what I've got suits me

Thanks for the comments

Drew

Bob,

In fairness to the Select unit, it meets my requirements. I don't particularly need to change CV's, I only run two trains at a time, I don't particularly want sound and for the money I paid it's quite good value . Plus, I've only had two problems in over a year.

Yes, I would love to have a bells and whistles system, but what I've got suits me

Thanks for the comments

Drew

Hi Drew,

If it does what you require of it.....then its obviously fine for your requirements.....stick with it.

My pals problem was that he rapidly accumulated about 20 sound locos, and was trying to run them on the select. You can imagine the problem. Thats why he upgraded.

Good luck....................Bob.

Archived