Bachmann D11/1 Arrived, I think...

robmcg

Just saw the much awaited ex-Great Central D11/1 at Modelfair and bought one, hopefully will go better than the D11/2 which I bought about a month ago and had to return to the retailer.

This will make an excellent weathering project for photos at the head of my Hornby Gresleys and Thompsons. Great Central line performances remembered!

Doesn't show on Hattons' site yet.

Rob

I am lucky enough to own a book 'Great Central Steam' by W A Tuplin, George Allen and Unwin Ltd 1967 which has a stirring chapter entitled 'Royal Director', pp149-165 ... in which an LNER ex-GC D11/1 No.510 'Princess Mary' in 1934 made a magnificent effort with 8 then 9 then 10 then back to 8 carriages totalling 290-350+ tons from Marylebone to Leicester then Nottingham then Sheffield and Penistone and Manchester.

Average speeds recorded were around and over a mile-per-minute in places, and a spectacular 90mph at Staveley Town, the piston valves and piston head arrangement allowing very free running downhill. Mr Tuplin used a combination of rail-length counting and 1/4 mile posts, and I think his recordings were accepted. In any event it must stand as one of the finest runs by a 4-4-0 ever, in terms of sustained high speed running over undulating ground with a substantial load, with most starts straight onto grades. Station stops were given only 2 minutes in the timetable, and on some of the sections the crew made up 5 minutes, only to have this time lost by adding or removing a carriage, and fussy timetable observance for departures.

Speeds in the 70+mph range were commonly attained with downhill assistance, the average from Marylebone to Leicester 58.6mph., with a sage observation at the end of the Metropolitan section at Ricksmanworth, reached on generally rising track in 21 minutes, that it would be unlikely to be reached from Baker Street by the Metropolitan with such elan! From Aylesbury passed at speed there were 64 minutes allowed for 65.5 miles to Leiecester, but the serious climbing doesn't even begin until the engine has covered 165 miles! No let-up for crew on this turn to Manchester!

The loss of the Great Central line into London was always a pity, and the exploits of the Gresley B17s and post war A3s were always notable, but I think that Robinson's D11s were every bit as spectacular on the Great Central 'London Extension' as anything ever done in steam days, Midland Compounds excepted perhaps. I wonder how a Midland 4-4-0 would have fared?

So there's my reason for buying a D11/1.

Rob

typo edit

• RMweb Premium

Prince Albert arrived from Rails today, Impressive model, runs smoothly straight from box.

post-10896-0-13700600-1352996852_thumb.jpg

62663 carries Sheffield Darnall 41A shed code, for period 4/57 to 5/58, then on to Stavely til withdrawel 5/60 (dates from BRdatabase). This suits my modelling area & era just fine :no: . Now to add the detailing stuff etc.

Cheers Phil

• RMweb Premium

All of a sudden the ex-GC line is my favorite!

Did this particular D11/1 in early BR days stray down the London Extension or would it have been used more towards Chester?

Hi Rob,

62663 in this condition (a lot muckier!) shedded at Darnall (Sheffield), main duties would have been on locals, a favourite being Sheffield Victoria to Chesterfield & Nottingham. Others on here may well know of other routes given to these locos & whether they still did the odd London run. In their hayday they ran the Marylebone-Sheffield expresses very efficiently according to various sources (which I havn't to hand at the mo').

There's nowt wrong with liking the ex-GCR :sungum: .

Cheers Phil.

Edit: 62663 was shedded at Immingham & Lincoln before moving to Darnall then Stavely, other examples were shedded at Trafford Park & Northwich before their move to Darnall these are more likely to have run to Chester until moving to Sheffield. (info from BRdatase)

• RMweb Premium

Lincoln.....getting even closer to March and the GE section.....please don't tell me they did....

Stewart

62663 and 62664 were both taken to Stratford for scrapping, via March, sometime in 1960.

• RMweb Premium

Lincoln.....getting even closer to March and the GE section.....please don't tell me they did....

Antics of all sites are quoting 62663 as being at Lincoln in 1955. Lincoln of course was connected directly to March by the Joint Line so it's entirely plausible that the loco could have worked down to March and perhaps on to Ely and Cambridge.

Certainly D11s, including Butler Henderson, did get to Boston on a few occasions on the local train from/to Lincoln but I am fairly certain they didn't go further south on the East Lincs Line. The Joint Line is a possibitity - might be worth trawling through Trains Illustrated or the Railway Observer for the appropriate period.

From what little I have read on the lives of the D11/1s I think many spent quite long periods late in their lives stored out of use so I imagine that when they were used it might have been for holiday or special work... this allows for all kinds of unusual destinations? That's my excuse anyway.

• RMweb Gold

From what little I have read on the lives of the D11/1s I think many spent quite long periods late in their lives stored out of use so I imagine that when they were used it might have been for holiday or special work... this allows for all kinds of unusual destinations? That's my excuse anyway.

Specials to Wembley just the excuse to bring one through the Chilterns. Cup Finals, schoolboy internationals etc. Loco serviced at Neasden. I'll have to dig out the reference/s but that's def what I had in mind to justify one for me. Just need the money now......

• RMweb Premium

From info I have to hand Rob your surmise sounds correct, the D11s lives, after transfer to Sheffield Darnall consisted of summer workings only, and storage during the winter months. Some were stored at Darnall, at the rear of the shed yard. Some would have been sent to Stavely and stored there, Stavely being a sub shed of Darnall by the late '50s . As for excuses to run unusual trains well....... :no: .

Cheers Phil.

Archived