Bachmann D11/1 Arrived, I think...

robmcg

Couldn't resist it, here is 62663 still doing great work around 1951 with teak Gresleys..

Reference in an earlier post about W A Tuplin's book 'Great Central Steam' near the beginning of the thread will explain my inspiration for D11/1 'Prince Albert' working hard.... thankyou Bachmann for your engine and Hornby for the carriages, beautiful models.

post-7929-0-46594200-1353704186.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Prince Albert visited my layout yesterday, and Tony Wright took a few photos, which he is happy for me to share with the forum, so here it is. Quite how it would have appeared here is something I have to think about, as I shall definitely not be able to resist at least one.

post-98-0-11948500-1353750817_thumb.jpg

We also did a bit of livery research, and found the entry in Yeadon on the subject to be rather ambiguous. Photograhic evidence shows that at least 62662/4/8 retained full lining till withdrawal.62660/3/6/7/70 did not. I can't yet find evidence regarding the others. Mind you, their condition in the last couple of years after open storage all winter was such that on some of them lining would have been hard to discern anyway.

• 1 month later...

Received Prince Albert yesterday.  I vaguly remember seeing them at Grimsby and on Day Tripper specials to cleethorpes but i had forgotten just how big they were compared to say a B1.  Overall a nice model, but the glossy black badly needs dulling down and even after 20 mins running in, it is still decidedly jerky at slower speeds.  Will see how it behaves with a load since I have found in the past that a loco will be jerky on its own at low speeds but as soon as it has a load of coaches behind it everything smoothes out.  Now to figure out where all the bits go.  I am OK with most but there is a bit that looks like an L shape with a lug at one end and a hole at the other.

• RMweb Premium

Now to figure out where all the bits go.  I am OK with most but there is a bit that looks like an L shape with a lug at one end and a hole at the other.

Hi Theakerr,

I think this was mentioned in the D11/2 thread, but the part puzzling you is the break actuation lever. The lug fits in a hole underneath the Tender body in front of the leading tender wheelset and the hole receives a pin on the tender brake assembly (one side only). A bit fiddly, but worthwhile provided you can secure it firmly.

Watch out if you have any 'trainset' curves, 3rd radius and less.Fitting the frame extensions can cause problems limiting the 'swing' of the bogie.

Excellent model though, enjoy.

Regards,

John

Prince Albert visited my layout yesterday, and Tony Wright took a few photos, which he is happy for me to share with the forum, so here it is. Quite how it would have appeared here is something I have to think about, as I shall definitely not be able to resist at least one.

attachicon.gifBachmann D11 1 62663 31-146 07.jpg

We also did a bit of livery research, and found the entry in Yeadon on the subject to be rather ambiguous. Photograhic evidence shows that at least 62662/4/8 retained full lining till withdrawal.62660/3/6/7/70 did not. I can't yet find evidence regarding the others. Mind you, their condition in the last couple of years after open storage all winter was such that on some of them lining would have been hard to discern anyway.

There is a photo of 62665 at Gorton after withdrawal in Raymond Keeley's "Memories of LNER steam", p66 (Ian Allan). The loco is clearly lined and wears white crosses to indicate being condemned, the date quoted is 21.05.59. Presumably we can assume this was the condition in which it was scrapped.

The same book has pictures of 62661 and 62668 in July 1958 on p64 & 65 respectively. 62661 appears to be unlined, although not 100% clear, but unfortunately the condition of 62668 is so poor as to give no indication.

There is a nice side view from the rear of 62663 on p63 of the same book, again in July 1958, which might assist you in weathering your model.

John.

Archived