Bachmann D11/1 Arrived, I think...

robmcg

• RMweb Premium

The Lincoln engines were used almost exclusively on workings over the old LMS lines to Nottingham and Derby. I can't remember ever seeing one at Lincoln Central station until after they were transferred to Darnall in 1957, though I have seen a photo of 62660 in one of the South bays there, and another of 62670 at Grantham on a Lincoln service. I did a lot of spotting in the City between 1954 and the departure of all our D11's, but as I say, no recollection at all of them anywhere other than St Marks station or shed. I very much doubt they got down the GN/GE joint. B1's or K3's were used on those trains. And of course the Boston and Grantham services were amomg the earliest to be dieselised.

Once the CLC locos went to Darnall, it was possible to see almost all of the D11/1's in a single day during the summer timetable at Retford, either on Sheffield - Cleethorpes or Sheffield - Lincoln workings.

• RMweb Premium

The Lincoln engines were used almost exclusively on workings over the old LMS lines to Nottingham and Derby. I can't remember ever seeing one at Lincoln Central station until after they were transferred to Darnall in 1957, though I have seen a photo of 62660 in one of the South bays there, and another of 62670 at Grantham on a Lincoln service. I did a lot of spotting in the City between 1954 and the departure of all our D11's, but as I say, no recollection at all of them anywhere other than St Marks station or shed.

I have a horrible you feeling you've posted that information before on one of the various D11 threads and I should have remembered it. Photos of St Marks in steam days are not plentiful online but this one may be of interest in the curent context.

Notes from Irwells Locos of GC Vol 2

Of Trafford Park allocation spring 1951 only 62664 was active, rest stored

Ypres moved to Northwich 1952 (active)

62666 and 62667 spent time at Immingham, Boston, Mexborough and Lincoln in 1953

Prince Albert from Heaton Mersey to Lincoln, and Mons to Northwich in 1954.

The only active locos were those at Lincoln and Northwich 1954-56

5 locos from Lincoln to Darnall in Spring 1957 for local services but also noted at York and Leicester on expresses. All 5 stored that autumn, as were 6 of Trafford Parks allocation by beginning of 1958.

Spring 1958- Trafford Park locos reactivated for use on Hope Valley trains to Sheffield. Darnall locos used solely on Sheffield Victoria station pilot duties.62663 moved to Staveley, 62662 remained active as the station pilot when the rest were laid up for winter.1959 Darnall locos used mainly on Sheff Vic-Nottm Vic trains,62661moved to Staveley, Mons withdrawn. 1960 last year of reactivation.

Photos in ths same book show

62662 at Timperley 24 May 1952

62663 at Sheff Vic early 1958

62664 and 62662 doubleheading a Ian Allan railtour nr Sowerby Bridge 12 May 1956

62664 at Nottm Vic 27 July 1959

62666 at Manchester Central early 1950s

62666 and 62667 at Chesterfield Central summer 1959?

62667 at Mexborough 7 June 1959

62668 at Doncaster

62669 at Cleethorpes

62669 at Manchester London Road 5March 1959

and yes! 62663 Prince Albert arrived here this morning just 4 days after despatch from Modelfair by airmail, excellent indeed. It will be weathered and photographed over the next few days, photos to come.. What a superb-looking model! I think I will do a thin coat of not-quite-matt black over the boiler cab and splashers and see how it looks, maybe attempting to feather in 'cleaned' numbers on the cabside....

Then at the head of a Gresley brake 3rd., teak or maroon, I wonder, I have both, and a Gresley teak 3rd but I imagine that post-nationalisation teak with BR numbers wasn't commonly in a train which also had BR maroon carriages?

Rob

Thankyou so much for that picture, it shows the type of thing I wish to re-create with a photo of the model and various coaches... 2nd carriage looks like a Mk1 to me, corridor composite, corridor side showing. The picture is great because it shows the atmosphere so well, the signals, rodding, and engine grime and hose placement, guard irons etc. It certainly is hard to define the actual colour of the Gresley coaches in 1945-55 guise.

Still haven't decided which type of Gresleys to use, but I could use a BR teak Gresley brake corridor 3rd, a BR Mk1 (I just found in my store room Bachmann 39-127B Mk1 CK E15055), then a Gresley corridor 3rd, and maybe a suburban Brake 3rd at the rear, or some variation of that, probably with a suggestion of a longer train than 4 carriages in recognition of the heyday of the Large Directors with sometimes much heavier trains.

Rob

Guest Belgian

I think you could make a fortune by applying your skills to photos of the other type of models, they are always looking for someone who can 'thin them down' as you have done to the tyres of your Prince!

JE

PS: that latest picture looks like a first class oil painting - wow!

• RMweb Premium

It certainly is an atmospheric picture Rob, it seems the front end has had some decoration added which could date the pic to '59 or '60 just prior to withfrawal.

Your pictures are certainly bringing evertthing to life :no: . Great stuff.

Cheers Phil

Thankyou all, it's a great pleasure and receiving Prince Albert after only 4 days including weekend is about as good as it gets from UK to NZ with airports, customs, courier and so on.

Am I right in thinking that my addition of white headlamps is a bit wrong, as in wrong, for 1953-56 ? Photos from early BR days show mostly older black body lamps, but I confess I did the whole thing a bit fast... I will attend to the lamps.

Rob

It certainly is an atmospheric picture Rob, it seems the front end has had some decoration added which could date the pic to '59 or '60 just prior to withfrawal.

Your pictures are certainly bringing evertthing to life :no: . Great stuff.

Cheers Phil

Actually I must admit that I was arolund in 59-60 and was aware of many older engines having a last fling under the hands of crew who knew that these things were not going to be repeated, so my picture does evoke something of that... maybe some last trip remembering a Great Central glory, in one of the many tunnels on GCR lines.

Nevertheless I will draw some lamps based on c1950 B1 pics I have.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

White headlamps seem fine to me for a 'Director', Rob - I believe Eastern Region depots followed LNER practice in using white lamps, whereas the LM initially carried on with black lamps as the LMS had used, before BR standardised later on white lamps generally. As others have said, very impressed by your artistry - keep 'em coming!

Thankyou Steve, I looked at a few pictures and agree you are right, even if some early GCR pics showed Robinson engines with black lamps, as with early LNER often with quite large glasses. So I kept the more common white versions.

Nevertheless I thought to add a cerain buccolic charm to the pic, and grew some trees.... 5"-high versions.

Amazing how long these Gresleys in teak remained into the BR era.. certainly has the atmosphere which I recall from the early 1950s... the sun always shone and smoky grime was everywhere.

post-7929-0-25946800-1353616111.jpg

I suppose it's the forum software? ...but the image just loaded is very fuzzy when viewed here, it's sharp at my end.

I have re-loaded the pic a few times, even processed it with RMweb 'in-house' image editor, but still fuzzy. Ah well. Have asked in forum help, probably my eyes. Or maybe it needs to be optomised by the RMweb system or something?

Guest Belgian

I suppose it's the forum software? ...but the image just loaded is very fuzzy when viewed here, it's sharp at my end.

I have re-loaded the pic a few times, even processed it with RMweb 'in-house' image editor, but still fuzzy. Ah well. Have asked in forum help, probably my eyes. Or maybe it needs to be optomised by the RMweb system or something?

It looks like a painting Rob, and a very fine one too!

Jeremy

Thankyou for the comments. The fuzziness is fixed. Andy pointed out that the forum software reduces uploads to 800 pixels wide for page design reasons and mine was 900 pixels wide, thus the original was compressed twice, with resultant loss of sharpness, I have re-loaded it at 800 pixels wide and it is now sharper.

For what it's worth the originals are very large, and a lot of fun to do.

Thanks,

Rob

Archived