Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Good evening Tony

I thought you might be amused to see the cake that featured at my wedding a couple of weeks ago...

The%20Cake_zpspdyounwx.jpg

Regards,
Gavin

P.S. The final table names, as agreed between a bride who loves horses and a groom who loves the LNER, were Grand Parade (the top table), Irish Elegance, Tudor Minstrel, Sansovino, Spion Kop, Manna, Bongrace, Scottish Union, Shotover and Knight of the Thistle. :locomotive:

• Like 13

So not a D298 of 1938/39/1941? if they had no vents I reckon it would be one of those, especially a later, one but a 155 would do me. Tony's pic of what he thinks is a D298 has some vents, so maybe that was the difference on the later builds? I can't find any pics at the moment.

Phil

PM sent.

The NYMR have a rake of blue and grey coaches, and at least one or possibly two were XP64's, but I have a feeling they have worn them out.

They had 2 ex XP64 coaches, long retired due to corrosion and asbestos contamination, and I believe have left the railway for pastures new.

Good evening Tony

I thought you might be amused to see the cake that featured at my wedding a couple of weeks ago...

The%20Cake_zpspdyounwx.jpg

Regards,

Gavin

P.S. The final table names, as agreed between a bride who loves horses and a groom who loves the LNER, were Grand Parade (the top table), Irish Elegance, Tudor Minstrel, Sansovino, Spion Kop, Manna, Bongrace, Scottish Union, Shotover and Knight of the Thistle. :locomotive:

Where's Pretty Polly?

• Like 2

Where's Pretty Polly?

Cunningly, I tried to select names that I could then apply - with some adroitness - to the guests there seated. So the South Africans were at Spion Kop, the teetotalers were at Sansovino etc.

Since no Polly was going to be prettier than my wife, there was no reason to have a table for people who could not have existed ;-)

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Cunningly, I tried to select names that I could then apply - with some adroitness - to the guests there seated. So the South Africans were at Spion Kop, the teetotalers were at Sansovino etc.

Since no Polly was going to be prettier than my wife, there was no reason to have a table for people who could not have existed ;-)

I dare not guess who sat at Shotover...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I hope that the best man is a bit of a 60097; that the whole 60111 is a success; that no family feuds prevent it from being a 60071 and 60533; and that the happy couple manage to get 60511 at great 60538 for their honeymoon (assuming that they're not going by road via 60521).

• Like 2

I hope that the best man is a bit of a 60097; that the whole 60111 is a success; that no family feuds prevent it from being a 60071 and 60533; and that the happy couple manage to get 60511 at great 60538 for their honeymoon (assuming that they're not going by road via 60521).

Following the wedding, during which I had happily discarded my 60537, it was time for the honeymoon. With my fellow 60158 we passed first through 60159 and thus began our 60146 wanderings. From 46242 we left the 60161 in search of the 60072, and 16 hours later we overflew the 60526s lining the shores of our spectacular destination, 45617!

Edited by Black Marlin
  • Like 1

Following the wedding, during which I had happily discarded my 60537, it was time for the honeymoon. With my fellow 60158 we passed first through 60159 and thus began our 60146 wanderings. From 46242 we left the 60161 in search of the 60072, and 16 hours later we overflew the 60526s lining the shores of our spectacular destination, 45617!

Finally, two numbers I actually understand without reference books!

According to the Kitmaster history bible, the Triang-Hornby CKD kits were introduced as a form of competition for the Kitmaster coach kits.  Wasn't there a CKD loco as well, possibly Flying Scotsman?

They also did the EM2 as CKD. I was given one, one Christmas, when I was nobbut a youngster. Sadly I was probably a couple of years too young to fully appreciate it at the time. *sighs*

Edited by MarkC

Ah, the Deeley 999! Was it Gem that produced a white metal kit? I built one in the late 1960s while camping near the Settle and Carlisle, its main hunting ground many many years before. Classed 4P it was probably as good as the more famous Compound but not as glamorous.

I have one of these - an eBay 'salvage job' - in my roundtuit pile. They were impressive in their own right, and possibly never achieved their full potential. Like the GEM Compound, they share the same 'wrong' wheelbase, but viewed on their own they definitely capture the character of the loco. In fact, the GEM kit allowed you to make up either a 999 or a rebuilt 3P. I built one of the latter many years ago (like about 35 -40 years...). I must find it. I think that I paired it with a Ks Johnson tender at some point. I also have a 'standard GEM Compound' that I built up from a virgin kit that I won on eBay for a very silly low price; it might be nice, once the 999 is restored, to get a photo of all 3 together...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I have one of these - an eBay 'salvage job' - in my roundtuit pile. They were impressive in their own right, and possibly never achieved their full potential. Like the GEM Compound, they share the same 'wrong' wheelbase, but viewed on their own they definitely capture the character of the loco. In fact, the GEM kit allowed you to make up either a 999 or a rebuilt 3P. I built one of the latter many years ago (like about 35 -40 years...). I must find it. I think that I paired it with a Ks Johnson tender at some point. I also have a 'standard GEM Compound' that I built up from a virgin kit that I won on eBay for a very silly low price; it might be nice, once the 999 is restored, to get a photo of all 3 together...

Nice to hear the 990's being discussed. I've got the 7mm version that Alan Gibson produced and it looks well alongside a compound though it needed quite a bit a tweaking to look right. Boiler needed increasing in diameter, the tender needed 5mm of packing to get the body at the correct height and the less said about the front bogie mount the better but when those were done it looks the part.

IIRC the boiler was the same as the compound but it was a 2 cylinder simple with a rather strange valve gear. Withdrawn early in 1928 as non standard, but a lot of parts were recycled into rebuilt locos.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1