Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Nice to hear the 990's being discussed. I've got the 7mm version that Alan Gibson produced and it looks well alongside a compound though it needed quite a bit a tweaking to look right. Boiler needed increasing in diameter, the tender needed 5mm of packing to get the body at the correct height and the less said about the front bogie mount the better but when those were done it looks the part.IIRC the boiler was the same as the compound but it was a 2 cylinder simple with a rather strange valve gear. Withdrawn early in 1928 as non standard, but a lot of parts were recycled into rebuilt locos.Jamie

Any chance of a photo? Or two? I have book in France (where I am not) that has a photo of a 990 with what I think were called indicator plates - sort of special blinkers to protect test equipment? It's also noteworthy that the photo was taken with a camera with a rather slow focalplane shutter that turned round wheels into ellipses. The loco was leaving Carlisle for Settle and would have been taking part in the trials between compound and simple 4Ps.

Any chance of a photo? Or two? I have book in France (where I am not) that has a photo of a 990 with what I think were called indicator plates - sort of special blinkers to protect test equipment? It's also noteworthy that the photo was taken with a camera with a rather slow focalplane shutter that turned round wheels into ellipses. The loco was leaving Carlisle for Settle and would have been taking part in the trials between compound and simple 4Ps.

'Indicator shelters', perhaps? A sort of wooden hut in front of the smokebox where some poor s*d would sit twixt howling gale and inferno, recording information and probably getting piles and chiblains at the same time. Isn't telemetry wonderful?

• RMweb Premium

No problem. I'll dig the loco out and get some photos. Is there any particular area that you want me to show. PM me.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

They also did the EM2 as CKD. I was given one, one Christmas, when I was nobbut a youngster. Sadly I was probably a couple of years too young to fully appreciate it at the time. *sighs*

And for the sake of completeness (and the chance to begin a sentence with and) the B12.   I still have it!  I broke one arm of the spring pick-up when assembling the loco - thus it didn't run properly for years, as the thought of asking the local Tri-ang shop for spares didn't occur to me!

They also did the EM2 as CKD. I was given one, one Christmas, when I was nobbut a youngster. Sadly I was probably a couple of years too young to fully appreciate it at the time. *sighs*

I had a CKD one as well, found it 'hidden' well before Christmas day. By the time the day arrived it was pretty much built :sungum: .

Only problem I had was one of the buffers was a very tight fit and snapped a bit off the buffer beam. Re-attached it's still there to this day and has made the odd appearence on Deepcar, really needs the pantograph springs slacking off though so only run with pans down.

Edited by great central
  • Like 3

I sourced a second-hand EM2, and found the seller had disposed of it as the yoke holding the brushes had overheated, distorting it.  Replacing this, I have found the overheating persists-has anyone else experienced this?  For it's time, I thought it was a good model.

I sourced a second-hand EM2, and found the seller had disposed of it as the yoke holding the brushes had overheated, distorting it. Replacing this, I have found the overheating persists-has anyone else experienced this? For it's time, I thought it was a good model.

Can't say I have, although I rarely get my original one out. I have a repowered one using a Lima (yes, I know pancake motor and all that!) 37 motor bogie. Bought as just a spare body many years ago, it's also got Lima pans and had the moulded line for the lining out removed as well as a repaint in electric blue.

• RMweb Gold

As another one of those who had previously never built a loco in his life - although I hasten to add that I have built kits of every other kind! - I have recently taken lessons from the 'master' and can now show the first result - which is a Southern Railway Stirling R class 0-6-0.

It is almost finished in that, as will be obvious, it has as yet no couplings or coupling hook. I mainly use tension lock couplings and so after further consultation I now propose to use Tony's wire method which seems very unobtrusive:

post-14629-0-21511000-1476696458_thumb.jpg

post-14629-0-64442400-1476696470_thumb.jpg

Tony had some involvement in this one as it was the subject of our lessons, but in order to show that I was listening, I am now 2/3rds of the way through a 2nd build and will post pictures in due course.

May I also add that, with encouragement from others, I have recently started a thread covering my own layout and would welcome visits and comments: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115550-churminster-stowe-magna-southern-railway/

Tony

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

As another one of those who had previously never built a loco in his life - although I hasten to add that I have built kits of every other kind! - I have recently taken lessons from the 'master' and can now show the first result - which is a Southern Railway Stirling R class 0-6-0.

It is almost finished in that, as will be obvious, it has as yet no couplings or coupling hook. I mainly use tension lock couplings and so after further consultation I now propose to use Tony's wire method which seems very unobtrusive:

attachicon.gifSJPAB9A177802161017.jpg

attachicon.gifSJPAB9A177902161017.jpg

Tony had some involvement in this one as it was the subject of our lessons, but in order to show that I was listening, I am now 2/3rds of the way through a 2nd build and will post pictures in due course.

May I also add that, with encouragement from others, I have recently started a thread covering my own layout and would welcome visits and comments: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115550-churminster-stowe-magna-southern-railway/

Tony

That's a fantastic layout you have developing there. Could you tell us about the origin of the Stirling R class model?

• RMweb Gold

That's a fantastic layout you have developing there. Could you tell us about the origin of the Stirling R class model?

Thanks Barry

The ex-SECR, SR Stirling R is from a current SE Finecast kit (F193) and it has a Mashima motor with SEF gearbox.

Tony

• Like 3

attachicon.gifSJPAB9A177802161017.jpg

attachicon.gifSJPAB9A177902161017.jpg

Tony

Well done Tony, 

It really is gratifying to see the work of someone I've helped. However, without your personal work, it would all be for nothing. 

I care not greatly how well the work of my 'students' compares with current RTR. That is not the point. What's most important is that they all have a go and produce work that's their own. As I've said, considering the number I've now helped, to only have one 'failure' isn't bad going. And, the generous donations made to charities are at least helping those who (for whatever reasons) cannot enjoy the delights of like-minded souls making models, talking about models and becoming firm friends. Well done, my boy (teacher-mode kicks in!). 

Speaking of charities, what folk might like to know is that Mo and I made £66.55 at the Peterborough Show over the weekend for my fixing locos and as a percentage of the selling on of kits on behalf of the families of the deceased. (Many thanks my dear old Duck!). I'm sending a cheque to Cancer Research.

Speaking also of the Peterborough Show, may I please thank all those who chatted to me over the weekend and attended my little talks? Thanks to for all those personal good wishes on my climbing out of depression. May I also apologise to all those I never had time to really chat to, or I never said a proper 'goodbye' to? It's always the same; a group gathers, I try to chat to one or two, then another question is asked and I must appear very rude in not engaging properly with all. I crave indulgence and understanding. 

Finally, to all those making models, please keep doing it for yourselves. Don't just rely on others to do your modelling for you, have a go - and post the results, please. Don't be entirely RTR-reliant either. A good friend at the Peterborough Show said she could find very few kit-built locos/carriages on any of the many 4mm layouts at the event. Boring, maybe? Not the show, I mean; I thought that was very good overall (and I'm not now a Warners' employee). Is this the way, though, the mainstream hobby is going? 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 4

Good evening Tony

I thought you might be amused to see the cake that featured at my wedding a couple of weeks ago...

The%20Cake_zpspdyounwx.jpg

Regards,

Gavin

P.S. The final table names, as agreed between a bride who loves horses and a groom who loves the LNER, were Grand Parade (the top table), Irish Elegance, Tudor Minstrel, Sansovino, Spion Kop, Manna, Bongrace, Scottish Union, Shotover and Knight of the Thistle. :locomotive:

My heartiest congratulations, Gavin. 

I hope to see you (both?) in Glasgow next year.

Kind regards,

Tony. 

Good to see you at Peterborough. Junior Clearwater and I enjoyed the show (he slept the whole way home..).

To your point on kit vs rtr. Of the layouts we enjoyed most one was pure rtr but unusual - the oo live steam demo. They were excellent with kids and very patient in teaching them how to make the steam locos move. Of the rest, the one we kept going back to was the Lough loco shed layout. O gauge so almost (currently at least) exclusively kit and scratch built. We also liked Bolton Priory and the unusual (for me at least) rail car.

To me, if I'm going to a show I want to see something that I can't readily achieve at home . Something spectacular or innovative. In that regard, a pity the Liverpool Lime Street guys had to understandably cancel.

also great to meet the excellent Isinglass team and see their 3D printing in action - again something you can do/appreciate from the comfort of your own home!

David

• RMweb Gold

To me, if I'm going to a show I want to see something that I can't readily achieve at home . Something spectacular or innovative. In that regard, a pity the Liverpool Lime Street guys had to understandably cancel.

David

Couldn't agree more - for me, it was missing the spectacle that Lime Street would have brought!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I sourced a second-hand EM2, and found the seller had disposed of it as the yoke holding the brushes had overheated, distorting it.  Replacing this, I have found the overheating persists-has anyone else experienced this?  For it's time, I thought it was a good model.

It has probably lost magnetism, which will increase current consumption which in turn is dissipated as heat.  it needs a re-mag, or the magnet replacing with one of those super nyodymosomething ones off e bay! 

This kind of thing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-NEW-TRIANG-Hornby-SCALEXTRIC-X04-NEODYMIUM-MAGNET-50-CHEAPER-RRP-/381803575878?hash=item58e5443a46:g:RZAAAOSwgmJXxYl3

Edited by New Haven Neil

Where are you based? I may be able to help with a remag and possibly spares.

Stewart

• Like 1

Where are you based? I may be able to help with a remag and possibly spares.

Stewart

As Tony says, the Interweb is a great thing.  Thanks to New Haven Neil and Stewart.

Noting you are in Chatteris, I am near Brighton and Sandringham-the ones in Melbourne!  However, I would like to have this loco checked out and running properly, and spares are required-can you contact me, please?

Regards

jrg1

post-18225-0-47629700-1476773573_thumb.jpg

Once more using the power of the interweb, does anyone out there know where this is, please? 

As usual, because I'm cheap (everyone should have their pomposity pricked on every suitable occasion), the mighty Irwell ask me to write articles for BRILL and caption pictures; like this. 

There appears to have been a mishap, and the 8F with its train is in attendance, but where? I'm stumped. It reminds be (a bit) of my visits to Manchester, but I can't recognise anything here. Is that tall water tower to the right a clue? Could it be in the Midlands? It doesn't have the 'feel' of the Home Counties, but then I'm not from there. 

A 'thank you' in a future issue of BRILL for coming up with the answer. We're all far too parsimonious to offer anything else. 

Many thanks in anticipation. 

Looks like Salford Tony. L&Y main line west out of Victoria. The 4 track mainline to the far left (curved retaining wall identifies the site), Salford station just out of sight round the bend, and the current Salford Crescent station behind the photographer,

I would say photo taken looking south from on or near to Windsor Crescent bridge

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=53.4849&lon=-2.2755&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Edited to add - Just looked in the book "Salford in the days of steam" by Brian Shackcloth - The water tower is the give away, the 3 gabled building was the former Hope Street engine shed built in 1871 by the L & Y railway. This closed as a loco shed in 1889 when Agecroft shed opened, and the building at Hope street then became a wagon repair depot.

Busy place back then.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

Looks like Salford Tony. L&Y main line west out of Victoria. The 4 track mainline to the far left (curved retaining wall identifies the site), Salford station just out of sight round the bend, and the current Salford Crescent station behind the photographer,

I would say photo taken looking south from on or near to Windsor Crescent bridge

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=53.4849&lon=-2.2755&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Edited to add - Just looked in the book "Salford in the days of steam" by Brian Shackcloth - The water tower is the give away, the 3 gabled building was the former Hope Street engine shed built in 1871 by the L & Y railway. This closed as a loco shed in 1889 when Agecroft shed opened, and the building at Hope street then became a wagon repair depot.

Busy place back then.

Brit15

Brilliant,

Many thanks, and it was Manchester. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Footbridge 12.jpg

Ian Wilson brought the (almost) completed footbridge back today. It really does look good in situ, though it's yet to be fully bedded in.

Another Iain also came today, Iain Henderson who's building Camden Bank in OO. He brought some most interesting conversions with him, illustrated below.

Iain Henderson 9F.jpg

Iain Henderson Caprotti Black Five.jpg

Iain Henderson Caprotti Standard Five.jpg

Iain Henderson Scot 46146.jpg

Iain Henderson Scot 46170.jpg

All ran well, with the exception of BRITISH LEGION, which had done the usual Hornby trick of the gears not meshing properly. A Comet set of frames will replace the Hornby chassis.

All the above are all his own work. If he reads this, I hope he explains how he did the conversions because I (foolishly) took no notes. His approach is far more noble than mine in that he's far more self-reliant. He does everything by himself. What came through the most, was his determination to make/modify things for/by himself. There are still modellers out there!

We had great fun running a wide variety of trains, until, catastrophe! A bogie on a Pullman car derailed at some speed! I investigated, and found a coupling causing the derailed car to ride a bit too high, lifting the bogie ever so slightly up. A tweak, and it was fixed and it ran fine. But, oh, the shame. My most sincere apologies, Iain.

Footbridge looks good Tony. What did the signs above each platform entry read?

Regards

Lee