RMweb

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifDsc_7061.jpg

It's always huge fun when mates come round to operate LB. It's even more rewarding when some of them come from the other side of the World, in this case, Australia. 

I left this merry band of men to their own devices this afternoon (abstracting myself, of course) while I processed pictures and they ran trains. 

Thanks for a great day, chaps - from left to right - Mel, John (England), Andrew (from Australia), George (England), Peter and Gavin (from Australia). 

That's what real railway modelling is about to me - a group of good friends 'playing trains'. 

Hope you're getting some ideas for scenery there Andrew.

A pity it 

Here's two pics of Wills rodding, out of the bag and with a simple black wash. Note no ballast applied yet, so far from complete, the ballast and ground texture will cover some of the base of the rodding as well as making the track 'sit' right.
attachicon.gifIMG_0611.JPG
Before wash

attachicon.gifIMG_0612.JPG
After wash.

My initial thoughts are it looks better than none, but too chunky, you couldn't mix manufacturers products without it looking odd, where you can mix and match the

A pity it looks overscale, as the detail is very good-perhaps it would be better used for 7mm? 

Hi all

I have been sorting through a huge pile of photos that have been gifted to the locomotive society i'm involved with (34081 92 Squadron for those interested!) and found these that i thought you would like to see, they mostly appear to be from the BR and in some cases LNER photo archive and are labeled 'file copy'.

attachicon.gifE30821.png

E3082, the only one without a caption on the back.

attachicon.gif19581.png

E1958, open 1st restaurant car,LNER Darlington stamp on back, dated 16 March 1948, file copy.

attachicon.gif19841.png

E1984, open 3rd restaurant car, BR CME drawing office Darlington stamp on back, dated 10 March 1949, file copy.

attachicon.gifE19521.png

E1952, kitchen car corridor side, BR drawing office Doncaster on back, no date, file copy.

attachicon.gifE17061.png

E1706, buffet lounge car, LNER Doncaster stamp on back, no date, file copy. This coach is interesting as the E of the number is a different BR style font to the rest.

attachicon.gifE12571.png

E1257, 1st sleeping car compartment side, BR Doncaster stamp on back, file copy.

And just for fun:

attachicon.gifStirling_Single1.png

46478 GNR steel well wagon built 1907, carrying 44 ton loco, LNER Doncaster stamp, no date, file copy.

There are loads more in the box of coaches and wagons, most appear to be works shots. if there is interest i'll post some of the more interesting ones?

Cheers

Lewis

Yes please , never seen Thompson Restaurant cars in LNER livery before !!. They actually deserve a separate thread, as much easier to find in the future IMHO.

Edited by micklner

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps it's a sign of the times with the reduced availability of Mashima motors, but I've noticed that a lot of the DJH motor/gearbox combinations aren't now available

for immediate order. I must admit I've got very used to counting on the ready availability of these assemblies as they take a lot of the struggle out of getting a chassis

assembled. The same seems to be the case with some of the wheelset packs.

It's already been noted, but the 00 locomotive range is shrinking fast as well - now down to just 3 classes in the Southern category, for instance (of which I've got two).

Alastair

• Like 1

And Tony really looks happy there!

Stewart

I was, Stewart.

However, adopting crouching poses isn't as easy as it once was. 

What crossed my mind on looking at the picture was the ghastly contrast between seven chums all enjoying themselves yesterday (and harming nobody) and the hideous events in Manchester. Somehow laughing, joking and 'playing trains' seemed not right. 

Hi all

I have been sorting through a huge pile of photos that have been gifted to the locomotive society i'm involved with (34081 92 Squadron for those interested!) and found these that i thought you would like to see, they mostly appear to be from the BR and in some cases LNER photo archive and are labeled 'file copy'.

attachicon.gifE30821.png

attachicon.gif19581.png

E1958, open 1st restaurant car,LNER Darlington stamp on back, dated 16 March 1948, file copy.

attachicon.gif19841.png

E1984, open 3rd restaurant car, BR CME drawing office Darlington stamp on back, dated 10 March 1949, file copy.

attachicon.gifE19521.png

E1952, kitchen car corridor side, BR drawing office Doncaster on back, no date, file copy.

attachicon.gifE17061.png

E1706, buffet lounge car, LNER Doncaster stamp on back, no date, file copy. This coach is interesting as the E of the number is a different BR style font to the rest.

attachicon.gifE12571.png

E1257, 1st sleeping car compartment side, BR Doncaster stamp on back, file copy.

And just for fun:

46478 GNR steel well wagon built 1907, carrying 44 ton loco, LNER Doncaster stamp, no date, file copy.

There are loads more in the box of coaches and wagons, most appear to be works shots. if there is interest i'll post some of the more interesting ones?

Cheers

Lewis

It would be very nice if the photos, and hopefully others, were to be posted in a separate thread to avoid them to remain visible. Whilst I don't model the LNER, I find such views inherently interesting. Regarding the vehicle with the 'E' prefix in a different script; this is because the 'E' is in the BR standard font, smaller and less elaborate than the LNER one.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

attachicon.gifE30821.png

attachicon.gif19581.png

attachicon.gif19841.png

attachicon.gifE19521.png

attachicon.gifE17061.png

attachicon.gifE12571.png

And just for fun:

Cheers

Lewis

They're great photos. I particularly love the sleeper first as I've never seen a photo of the berth side of one of these before. It's a coach I'd love to build a model of, but there seems to be no side etches available, so rather difficult!

Please post more - perhaps on a separate thread as others have said.

Hi all

attachicon.gifE30821.png

attachicon.gif19581.png

attachicon.gif19841.png

attachicon.gifE19521.png

attachicon.gifE17061.png

attachicon.gifE12571.png

And just for fun:

Cheers

Lewis

If you do set up a separate thread please let us know where.

• Like 1

Hi all

attachicon.gifE30821.png

attachicon.gif19581.png

attachicon.gif19841.png

attachicon.gifE19521.png

attachicon.gifE17061.png

attachicon.gifE12571.png

And just for fun:

Cheers

Lewis

Thanks Lewis,

If, as others have suggested, you set up a separate thread, please duplicate some of the images here. Above all else, Wright Writes is a model-maker's thread and such images are priceless for building carriages. 

A pity it looks overscale, as the detail is very good-perhaps it would be better used for 7mm?

Unfortunalely, whilst this rodding is almost double scale width it is correct to scale for length, so would need a lot of corrective action in 7mm as well.

The effect in 4mm gets progressively worse as the number of parallel rods increases.

Regards

Hope you're getting some ideas for scenery there Andrew.

You'll just have to wait and see John - and certainly don't expect anything by the August meeting! I think I might be required to do some non-railway things when I get back next Monday after 6 weeks away!

Andrew

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I like the "museum pieces", long may they roll. It's good to be reminded where we once were, warts and all, rather as I enjoy the Jamieson/Sayer Chaplin etc threads on RMweb, although having no real modelling interest in steam, it's good to see some history in the hobby.

Mike.

Does anyone else have some golden oldies to show us, please?

Like many a railway enthusiast, I abandoned BR when it went rubbish in the early 1960's and turned to buses and trams instead. So my only surviving golden oldie that runs on rails is this Oldham Corporation tram. I built it in 1969 using a BEC or Anbrico whitemetal kit as the basis while the upper deck was scratchbuilt. It is soldered, which is probably why is it lasted the course, although it has lost a variety of fittings over the years. The motor appears to be a K's double ender.  No.76 is show displaying route 20 which operated between Waterhead and Hollinwood. 

post-6680-0-17364700-1495713089_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 16

Some of those older builds may be historic for you, Tony. They are still interesting and capture your journey through life. Some times as builders we can keep what we have built some times we pass them on for other challenges. I have not made that much that I have passed. One thing I did do was build a LNER Garrett. The funny thing was years later I was at an exhibition and the owner came and said to me he had a great LNER garrett that he had built.... at he time I had to bite my tongue... but looking back at it now I can see the funny side.

Any how. I have just received a copy of LNER carriages by Michael Harris... I must admit it is a great resource for modellers of LNER carriages. I knew a reasonable amount about what I was building. This book however, which was all of 30AUD delivered to my door, is full of so much valuable and useful information. I would recommend this as a good starting point for anyone looking to build carriage models. One thing it has confirmed my thoughts as correct to build a quad art set, starting from an Ian Kirk kit which I have had for years but can't for the life of me remember buying!

As with everything in middle age... spare modelling time is of short supply in between work, family 2 kids,1 dog, and normal day to day activities.. I have set my target to have the set completed before Oxford rail's N7 is released! I have managed to get the bodies painted, transferred and assembled, the roofs have had their vents (MJT whitemetal vents which you need 2 packs to complete!) installed. The bogies are the plastic from the kit with Hornby wheels (1full pack as there is 5 bogies!) which are very weighty! I am waiting for a delivery of MJT turnbuckle underframes 4x 51ft etched brass U/F's... I will say this a quad art is quite expensive once you start building one... but it is quite a beast. So once I manage to complete the carriage set it is practically a single train in its self. So I think this will be finished well before the N7 turns up.. so before hand I hope a J15 or a D16 will not look out of place.

I am actually surprised how much I am enjoying building these carriages, it is not my main interest in NER in P4 which I am trying to slowly build up. So I would say the modelling mojo can be found in sometimes doing a project that is just for enjoyment of building!

• Like 1

Some of those older builds may be historic for you, Tony. They are still interesting and capture your journey through life. Some times as builders we can keep what we have built some times we pass them on for other challenges. I have not made that much that I have passed. One thing I did do was build a LNER Garrett. The funny thing was years later I was at an exhibition and the owner came and said to me he had a great LNER garrett that he had built.... at he time I had to bite my tongue... but looking back at it now I can see the funny side.

Any how. I have just received a copy of LNER carriages by Michael Harris... I must admit it is a great resource for modellers of LNER carriages. I knew a reasonable amount about what I was building. This book however, which was all of 30AUD delivered to my door, is full of so much valuable and useful information. I would recommend this as a good starting point for anyone looking to build carriage models. One thing it has confirmed my thoughts as correct to build a quad art set, starting from an Ian Kirk kit which I have had for years but can't for the life of me remember buying!

As with everything in middle age... spare modelling time is of short supply in between work, family 2 kids,1 dog, and normal day to day activities.. I have set my target to have the set completed before Oxford rail's N7 is released! I have managed to get the bodies painted, transferred and assembled, the roofs have had their vents (MJT whitemetal vents which you need 2 packs to complete!) installed. The bogies are the plastic from the kit with Hornby wheels (1full pack as there is 5 bogies!) which are very weighty! I am waiting for a delivery of MJT turnbuckle underframes 4x 51ft etched brass U/F's... I will say this a quad art is quite expensive once you start building one... but it is quite a beast. So once I manage to complete the carriage set it is practically a single train in its self. So I think this will be finished well before the N7 turns up.. so before hand I hope a J15 or a D16 will not look out of place.

I am actually surprised how much I am enjoying building these carriages, it is not my main interest in NER in P4 which I am trying to slowly build up. So I would say the modelling mojo can be found in sometimes doing a project that is just for enjoyment of building!

Thanks Doug.

Why should you have to bite your tongue when someone, effectively, tells a lie?

I'd have exposed the charlatan, at the top of my voice. I've seen too many instances in this hobby where folk take credit for the work of others; if not by actually lying about it, but by omission. That's why (even to the point of repetition) I always insist that those who've contributed to my layout are mentioned.  

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 4

I believe it was an Iain Rice article where he stated that rather than make a model we can create a " portrait" of it. The older models seem to bear that out...having a certain presence which I find appealing.

• Like 2

I believe it was an Iain Rice article where he stated that rather than make a model we can create a " portrait" of it. The older models seem to bear that out...having a certain presence which I find appealing.

Many thanks,

An 'impressionist' portrait is what I try to achieve.

• Like 1

I think the older models, despite perhaps lacking the finer detail of modern products have a presence which is really pleasing, it could also be because they have been built. Can't ratify it, they just do in my opinion.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was, Stewart.

However, adopting crouching poses isn't as easy as it once was. 

What crossed my mind on looking at the picture was the ghastly contrast between seven chums all enjoying themselves yesterday (and harming nobody) and the hideous events in Manchester. Somehow laughing, joking and 'playing trains' seemed not right. 

It is absolutely right, Tony. Do not let hatred (from whatever colour, class or religion) remove our freedoms which includes enjoyment.