RMweb

Wright writes.....

Blimey Tony - you should be in the entertainment business (perhaps you are?). Talk about holding the best back till the end, like a rock n roll star saving his best song till the encore. That looks absolutely sensational!!!

Pity. I know someone who would have snapped that up five years ago...

• Like 1

Yep, very nice indeed & 5 years ago I too would have considered buying the coaches, but I couldn't wait for the MARC Models kits & bought a Golden Age coach set instead (perhaps I should have waited?) The loco that pulls my Silver Jubilee set is also a Hornby model, but I have weathered mine using photos from the 1930s as a guide instead of repainting it.

William

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Tony - you should be in the entertainment business (perhaps you are?). Talk about holding the best back till the end, like a rock n roll star saving his best song till the encore. That looks absolutely sensational!!!

Pity. I know someone who would have snapped that up five years ago...

What a beautiful set. Such work needs to be shown as often as possible.

It is with relief that I see that Tony has yet to post some pics of something unusual such as a Complete A.C.E. circa 1960. He is unlikely to be asked to deal with such an item, as it would be one of 'them foreign trains from down Devon my 'andsome', so my wallet trigger is on 'safety'  :scratchhead:

Phil

• Like 3

What a beautiful set. Such work needs to be shown as often as possible.

It is with relief that I see that Tony has yet to post some pics of something unusual such as a Complete A.C.E. circa 1960. He is unlikely to be asked to deal with such an item, as it would be one of 'them foreign trains from down Devon my 'andsome', so my wallet trigger is on 'safety'  :scratchhead:

Phil

I must agree with you Phil

It is indeed a lovely looking coach set and right up my street regarding Region and my slightly flexible era.

I will have to keep my wallet trigger on safety as well however.

For the following reasons. I am currently on a strict budget, I have demolished all my recently built baseboards and sent them to the tip and need to rethink everything and finally, I don't believe I have a big enough waterproof bag or cistern in order to hide them from the wife until such time as I can honestly say " I've had those for ages".

Any action in your loft ?

Spare set for Grantham ?? :O

Its always nice to see LNER stock on excellent layouts, especially The Silver Jubilee.  Lovely looking model. 

Far outshines my 8 coach Mailcoach set, which I can say I built and painted myself. I have 3 LNER Silver Locos to pull it.  Link, Fox and King.

If I did not have that I think I would be very interested in that.

Hope it goes to a nice home.  Agree it would look good if LB was all LNER, but that's another set of Locos and rolling stock. Not to mention any infrastructure changes.

Mark

This is just about the last of the items I'm selling on behalf of the family of the late John Brown. 

attachicon.gifSilver Jubilee 01.jpg

attachicon.gifSilver Jubilee 02.jpg

It's a complete seven-car Silver Jubilee set, plus the loco. The train was made on commission by professional model-maker/painter, Geoff Haynes. Geoff made the set up from Marc Models etched kits. The loco is a repainted Hornby A4, again the work of Geoff. 

The whole thing is very well-finished and runs beautifully. Anyone interested in buying it, please PM me. 

Tony slightly off topic - but only slightly - could you take a picture of the roof details on the triplet set on the  model and/or indicate a source for a photo of the roofs on the prototype?

Many thanks

I recently discovered a project by Google called Deep Dream Generator, I clever webapp that allows you to upload photographs that are converted to paintings using clever filters. I have no idea how it works, but it is brilliant. There are all sorts of filters, some more abstract than others, but you can even upload your own filters. So out of curiousity I uploaded Tony's Silver link photo above (hope this is ok) and used a David Shepard painting as a custom filter. I must say I am highly impressed with the result.

For those interested, here is a link to the site. It does require that you sign up, but other than that it is free to use: https://deepdreamgenerator.com

XsSLG4T.jpg

• Like 8

Only one other train set beats that Silver Jubilee set - the Southern Pacific Daylight.  It is interesting that the 1930s were inspirational from the point of view of an early combination of technology and marketing, producing beautiful trains that looked like they were complete, not a hash up of bits and pieces.  There are others, of course, but not many blend the lines of the locomotive with the coaches they pull.  The streamlined LMS trains were certainly among the best, if you like inverted bath tubs.

Since I never completed the purchase of a Daylight set of coaches I seriously doubt that I could be in the market for this set, but, as others have said, may it please go to a good home!

Only one other train set beats that Silver Jubilee set - the Southern Pacific Daylight.  It is interesting that the 1930s were inspirational from the point of view of an early combination of technology and marketing, producing beautiful trains that looked like they were complete, not a hash up of bits and pieces.  There are others, of course, but not many blend the lines of the locomotive with the coaches they pull.  The streamlined LMS trains were certainly among the best, if you like inverted bath tubs.

Since I never completed the purchase of a Daylight set of coaches I seriously doubt that I could be in the market for this set, but, as others have said, may it please go to a good home!

Nope LNER Coronation total perfection, A4 on front with matching Observation Car on the rear.

Tony slightly off topic - but only slightly - could you take a picture of the roof details on the triplet set on the  model and/or indicate a source for a photo of the roofs on the prototype?

Many thanks

Mike Trice may know?, I think I may have the Isinglass drawings for my Jubilee set ( page 1 to 8 on my workshop thread ) still somewhere. 

Edited by micklner

Many thanks

David,

I'll take pictures of the roof detail on mine. It's ever so slightly different from as it was pre-War. 

The Silver Jubilee looks fantastic! I agree with others that it looks right at home on Little Bytham.

Thankfully (for my bank balance) it didn't run on the line I'm modelling - but then I did start thinking "I wonder if......"

Must stop dreaming now and set off for work

Jon

Thanks Jon (and others).

It does, indeed, look superlative, but I cannot use it on LB. To strip and repaint it in BR livery would be sacrilege (it's finished so well) and, if I were to backdate LB some 20+ years, several of the upper-quadrant signals would have to be replaced by somersaults. 

Were it mine, I'd make just two changes. I'd (obviously) build my own silver A4 and I'd also get rid of the hideous tension-lock coupling on the back. John Brown used tension-locks, and this set could run both ways. 

Regarding the SJ triplet catering set in BR livery.....................

post-18225-0-17748000-1498493544_thumb.jpg

This is another Marc Models SJ triplet diner, built and painted by John Houlden, as seen running on the now-cremated Gamston Bank. 

post-18225-0-01230700-1498493569_thumb.jpg

This is mine, built from a Mailcoach set and hand-painted (all by me). As a 'layout set' it's all right, but it's not in the same class as Geoff Haynes' work. 

• Like 6

I thought this may have been of some interest to readers of this thread.

Hattons are selling two exquisite models, a GNRI "Long Tom" and full streamlined set. Nothing I can afford but pretty to look at haha.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/283026/Golden_Age_Models_GA9Art_LN_LNER_Gresley_9_car_Articulated_Coach_Set_in_BR_crimson_and_cream_Only_10_produc/StockDetail.aspx

http://www.hattons.co.uk/254229/Kitbuilt_KB479_KB_GNR_0_8_0_Long_Tom_401_in_GNR_Green_Pre_owned_professionally_built_from_unknow/StockDetail.aspx

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I recently discovered a project by Google called Deep Dream Generator, I clever webapp that allows you to upload photographs that are converted to paintings using clever filters. I have no idea how it works, but it is brilliant. There are all sorts of filters, some more abstract than others, but you can even upload your own filters. So out of curiousity I uploaded Tony's Silver link photo above (hope this is ok) and used a David Shepard painting as a custom filter. I must say I am highly impressed with the result.

For those interested, here is a link to the site. It does require that you sign up, but other than that it is free to use: https://deepdreamgenerator.com

XsSLG4T.jpg

I give up.  Where's the mouse?

I thought this may have been of some interest to readers of this thread.

Hattons are selling two exquisite models, a GNRI "Long Tom" and full streamlined set. Nothing I can afford but pretty to look at haha.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/283026/Golden_Age_Models_GA9Art_LN_LNER_Gresley_9_car_Articulated_Coach_Set_in_BR_crimson_and_cream_Only_10_produc/StockDetail.aspx

http://www.hattons.co.uk/254229/Kitbuilt_KB479_KB_GNR_0_8_0_Long_Tom_401_in_GNR_Green_Pre_owned_professionally_built_from_unknow/StockDetail.aspx

"Detailed with real coal"  WOW!  Sorry to shout but that's the way box shifters judge quality work!

• RMweb Gold

And most of my models are made of real rtr plastic.

it's a bit like my local greengrocer who sells organic tomatoes.  I know what he means, but what sort of tomato isn't organic?  I'm not counting the plastic squeezy ones you used to get in greasy spoon cafes with vinegared down tomato ketchup in them!

• Like 1

Real coal isn't that easy to find these days, unless you happen to volunteer on a heritage railway.  I drove 200km round trip, hiked up a small mountain and collected my real coal a couple of years ago from an abandoned open cast coal mine at Gressessac, north of Béziers, France.  If it's the sort of coal with a high vitrinite content it might be too shiny but Gresessac coal has a dull look to it that "seams" to be right for steam loco tenders and bunkers.  I am thinking of going back and then start a small business marketing "real coal".

post-20733-0-49795200-1498507870_thumb.jpg

No I am not saying where the mother lode is.

• Like 5

Time for a Geordie colliery joke (goes with the earlier blood & guts !!)

It was 1923 and a man was standing at the bar in the Blyth and Tyne pub in Blyth, Northumberland. His head was covered in scars and he wasn't a pretty sight. A young lad began sniggering and pointed the man out to his mates.

A big burly miner jumped up and grabbed the young lad. "Never, never, make fun of that man. He's a hero, there was a big fall at Crofton Pit and he stood with a wooden bar on his head for 6 hours holding the roof up while his marra's were rescued. That's why he bears those terrible scars."

"Am sorry mate, a didn't na", said the young lad, "He is a hero. But, how did he get that cauliflower ear?"

"Aw well, that happened when he was hammered into position."

Brit15

• Like 3

My coal comes either from my back garden, and I do live in what was once a County Durham colliery village, or from a lump of sea-coal I picked up years ago on a Northumberland beach.

(I should say that neither of these sources would have been used as locomotive coal.)

Curiously, my locomotives don't seem to burn that much coal, and they use absolutely no water at all. I think it's something to do with the large electric motor in the firebox!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Funnily enough I was in Blaenafon on Saturday, though I've not been to Big Pit for some time.  Last time I was there you could mine your own coal and take it home; time for another trip to see if they still do this.

• Like 2