Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, 31A said:

Re. painting coaches in BR livery, I also use Halford's Ford Burgundy Red for maroon coaches, and agree that what is underneath the 'maroon' affects the finished colour.

When making coaches from brass kits I first spray with Halford's etching primer which gives the paint a good 'key' to the brass but is grey, so I follow that up with a coat of red oxide primer before applying the 'maroon'.  On one occasion I forgot the red oxide coat and it did make the 'maroon' look different; luckily it was a parcels van so the duller finish didn't matter too much.

For red/cream coaches I use a coat of white primer after the grey etching primer, then  spray overall with Railmatch BR Cream from their rattle can.  Then, rule a pencil line with a ruler where the division between the two colours will be, and brush paint the red (Railmatch BR Crimson) on the lower section carefully up to the pencil line with a good flat brush.  Despite care, it probably won't be a perfectly straight line but is usually good enough that the lining transfers at the colour division can hide slight imperfections of the brush painted edge.  After putting the lining transfers on, any red or cream which is on the 'wrong side' of the lining can be carefully painted out with a small brush of the relevant colour.

Could you show us some photos please?

4 hours ago, 30368 said:

Good afternoon Tony,

No coaches to show Tony but I have used cans to paint all of the loco's I have built in the last year simply because I have not yet set up my air brush kit yet, too much to do on the house and the layout,

So a few pictures of loco's then, my apologies if they have appeared here before.

Firstly one of the few ex LNER B9 4-6-0's that survived into BR ownership. It is a Judeth Edge etch which did not include the boiler/firebox so that is scratch built. It is painted with RailMatch BR Rail Black (1205) and then weathered with powders and washes. It runs very well!

519210508_IMG_6539(2).JPG.d3059968919e8570b1560b92b043589a.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

Nice to see a well modelled B9. Not a common sight...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday I spect a very enjoyable day at the Gauge O Guild Spring show. It was mainly a day of ‘retail therapy’ and I spent far too much as so often happens. Two particular curios were a couple of vans I picked up off the bring and buy stand. One is a D335 bread van. 

FE74FE74-203E-4009-A008-9EBB08B6C1D4.jpeg.cec74d6d934a3ef97c829377f903fee8.jpeg

There were two of these built in 1946 to replace a couple of ex HR vans used for delivering bread during bread rationing. It’s not the finest kit being built of vac formed sides but is an example of something a bit different. It lasted until 1967. Does  anyone know what these were used for after bread rationing finished?

The other is a NBR D89B covered motor van and carriage truck built in 1912 and lasting until the mid ‘50s. Again a vac formed kit and something a bit different. 

317ABCEB-6C5E-43D1-99AF-D4B2CEF8AEDF.jpeg.a657bf64b1b88449f98d7e5d66228356.jpeg

Both ends are the same so I’m struggling to work out how the cars would have been loaded. Any ideas?

Does anyone know the manufacturer of these kits?

Andy

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave John said:

Just for comparison this is Halfords Vauxhall Burgundy red. Slightly deeper in hue than the Ford version. I think it should be a bit purpler, but closest match from a rattle can. 

883393806_gcsred.JPG.d9e599b4cdc5e5bc809056c8bb734f27.JPG

Mind you, I had to drink lots of Burgundy before deciding........ 

That looks superb!

kind regards,

Iain

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Yesterday I spect a very enjoyable day at the Gauge O Guild Spring show. It was mainly a day of ‘retail therapy’ and I spent far too much as so often happens. Two particular curios were a couple of vans I picked up off the bring and buy stand. One is a D335 bread van. 

FE74FE74-203E-4009-A008-9EBB08B6C1D4.jpeg.cec74d6d934a3ef97c829377f903fee8.jpeg

There were two of these built in 1946 to replace a couple of ex HR vans used for delivering bread during bread rationing. It’s not the finest kit being built of vac formed sides but is an example of something a bit different. It lasted until 1967. Does  anyone know what these were used for after bread rationing finished?

The other is a NBR D89B covered motor van and carriage truck built in 1912 and lasting until the mid ‘50s. Again a vac formed kit and something a bit different. 

317ABCEB-6C5E-43D1-99AF-D4B2CEF8AEDF.jpeg.a657bf64b1b88449f98d7e5d66228356.jpeg

Both ends are the same so I’m struggling to work out how the cars would have been loaded. Any ideas?

Does anyone know the manufacturer of these kits?

Andy

I think the 4 wheeled van is probably a Highfields kit from the early 1980s. They were a very economical way of constructing pre-grouping coaches and vans.  Made in Harrogate I think. 
I have a NER non- corridor brake third somewhere in the loft. It is the only on I built that didn’t warp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a question, and I have really no idea as to the answer. 

On some of the Coronation drawings, a 'casing' is shown, completely covering all the underframe detail (with the exception of the dynamo). It's a kind of  'bath' shape, but with a flat base and 'tamba' ends, which fits between the skirts, but is shorter by at least a foot at both ends than the skirts. 

Having pored over all the photographs I have, it's impossible to tell if it exists or not. 

On all the models I've seen, the underframe detail is all there, but hidden by the skirts in normal viewing conditions. Turn a car upside down, and there it is - no 'bath-like' box hiding everything underneath. 

My question? Were such things ever fitted on the real things? 

My thanks in anticipation. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I have a question, and I have really no idea as to the answer. 

On some of the Coronation drawings, a 'casing' is shown, completely covering all the underframe detail (with the exception of the dynamo). It's a kind of  'bath' shape, but with a flat base and 'tamba' ends, which fits between the skirts, but is shorter by at least a foot at both ends than the skirts. 

Having pored over all the photographs I have, it's impossible to tell if it exists or not. 

On all the models I've seen, the underframe detail is all there, but hidden by the skirts in normal viewing conditions. Turn a car upside down, and there it is - no 'bath-like' box hiding everything underneath. 

My question? Were such things ever fitted on the real things? 

My thanks in anticipation. 

Tony

Had a look under the Golden Age Models and can't find a 'bath'

Dave

DSC06233.JPG.f157fe959763757b75b66820d0628e66.JPG

DSC06234.JPG.955c6936731fa3862e34e81a3a96013b.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Some 'different' painting

As this bridge (Findhorn Viaduct basis), is styrene (not brass as your Little Bytham bridge), the primer used needed to be different but thus far I have used the same acrylic base coat as used on your bridge :)

Truss frames are being painted and weathered before more assembly / construction with cross beams as access for painting would be impossible afterwards. A long way to go still!

Dave

DSC06228.JPG.4aacce33c6e7a85f3dde5efdf3dca209.JPG

Wil try to get the finish to a state similar to this

image.png.e8dd74accc10b4896662323c19363b36.png

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony, 

Thanks for the help with the pickups for my 14xx chassis at the Clifton show. The weekend before last. Here's the chassis painted with sandboxes and brake gear added:

IMG_20220307_172446582_HDR.jpg.43db3e38915e0954242be181a241a0f1.jpg

I still need to grind the pinpoints off of the trailing axle before adding the outside frames. Still needs a bit of running in, but I'd say not bad for a first timer even if the soldering is "that of an imbecile" :)

IMG_20220307_172501901_HDR.jpg.2058ecfd5f41cb98de81b0acd483c3cd.jpg

IMG_20220307_172347016_HDR.jpg.2bca599217a81761e93cefc8260baadf.jpg

The body will either be reliveried into BR unlined green and weathered, or backdated to a 517 class. It also needs a cab interior.

The solder you gave me certainly was easier to use, although I did need to clean the soldering iron more than with flux core. I look forward to cracking on with the 75000!

• Like 10