Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

4 hours ago, Clem said:

Hi all, 

I've just been appreciating Tony's photos of Geoff West's models on LB. What a lovely collection of locos photographed superbly by Tony.

A quick update from me, as I've been having a bit of fun with the new camera. Still learning the ropes on it but I thought I'd post a few of the results:

IMG_1009.JPG.887d7821ad85c2d910d4a2ead1f0dfde.JPGIMG_1012_mod.jpg.54da0ad9379d4549fb0a7f888dc32136.jpg

Colwick's WD 90000 on an up coal train

IMG_1040.JPG.4586556023b6749bfc160029d7fca065.JPG

Followed by a couple of up locals. A J6 64215 on a Pinxton and...

IMG_1044.JPG.d33d2ece4a24e6fdd18ae6d9ba5eb2ed.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG.b79acafaf7ebd569937441fcfd25b542.JPG

J39/1 64762 on an up Derby.

IMG_1120.JPG.3e68351c0abca40ace7443be17ef2297.JPG

Still lots to learn but I'm pretty pleased with it so far. I'm starting to get down to some of the modelling that I started in the last couple of years but remained unfinished (prime example, the signal box which wants a nameboard, interior fittings, roof tiles and guttering.). The new camera certainly gives an extra incentive to get on with it.

I'll post one or two more soon. I'm still experimenting.

Clem

I think you have captured the Nottingham area very well-the layout certainly brings back memories for me.  Where are the L1's?  Can you post a layout plan?  I am very impressed with the air of spaciousness that the layout suggests.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Inspirational stuff Clem.  Thanks for sharing.

Frank

Hi Frank. Thanks for the very kind comment. I'm hoping that there may be a chance to see Clayton before too long? I'm probably going to ExpoEM North this year so if you're going it'd be really good to have a catch up. Say hello from me to Andrew (Headstock) and Chris if you see them.

Best regards,

Clem.

1 hour ago, Clem said:

Thanks for the kind remarks. I'm not sure I've got a layout plan but here are a couple more photos, an L1 included as requested (although they were thin on the ground in my era  (1954/55 just 3 of them).

What do people use (if anything) to do their layout plans in a neat way that I see published everywhere? I used templot to work out what I was doing basing the scenic layout on a combination of Eggington Jct, West Hallam and Kimberley. 

IMG_1027.JPG.6949a4babf18f0b3b8afae9a1ef87c98.JPG

My wills K3 on an up Burton mixed goods.

IMG_1022.JPG.45c8379b9f16fb6e2b04d91193bb501f.JPG

Converted Hornby L1 67788 (strictly speaking outside of my era - it arrived in 1956 but I remember it quite fondly)

IMG_1123.JPG.e0dcd8ed07d9baf7696728641bfad0ce.JPG

Bill Bedford Bachmann conversion O4/7 63699 on a Stanton iron ore. 

IMG_1033.JPG.d5bc34c03705dfd6909b33ea38b29807.JPG

Finally an LRM J5 65498 on an up local colliery working to Leen Valley Junction.

You capture the atmosphere of the Derby line perfectly Clem!

Thank you for posting the pictures!

Regards

Tony

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

The  urgent topic of discussion on the Clayton project is grass and the best way to reproduce it.  We tried a test square using static grass, but despite the filaments looking Matt in their container once planted they had a slight sheen about them which looked wrong to our way of thinking.

We used medical lint on Hungerford and liked the effect this gave, but that was 20+ years ago and I’m advised that you can’t get hold of the stuff these days.

Tony, can I ask what you used on LB and could you provide a close up image of the grass? We will be modelling dairy pasture in the main so I wonder what others have used and how satisfied were they with the final effect?

Regards,

Frank

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, Chuffer Davies said:

The  urgent topic of discussion on the Clayton project is grass and the best way to reproduce it.  We tried a test square using static grass, but despite the filaments looking Matt in their container once planted they had a slight sheen about them which looked wrong to our way of thinking.

Hi Frank. I've used static grass mainly to try it out and for the convenience.I think it's worked quite well on the far side of the embankment and the nearside still needs much more doing to it. But I concur with your conclusion about it not looking entirely natural. I seem to remember Geoff Kent recommending teddy bear fur to me. The other option I've not yet really tried is carpet underlay (the old style) which I think you can still get.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Frank,

Glad to help............

Most of the following images appeared in my book on ECML modelling by Crowood. But for those who don't have it............

1786979243_Scenery23.jpg.31bab926e173b0fe4f82488567cb52c1.jpg

What we're trying to replicate. The rough grass on the embankments/cuttings compared with the more-verdant look of cultivated fields.

411433212_Scenery24.jpg.97d1c9919fa66009a35d7a07da16ba8a.jpg

This is a basic material used; hanging basket liner. 225456360_Scenery27.jpg.09852f2cd17ed0f586c90892c2bf2b49.jpg

Stuck down with PVA, it's then given a 'haircut'.

685733741_Scenery21.jpg.f1b0ac52778374dc4eeb796f6757c4c2.jpg

To produce this effect. Together with Woodland Scenics additions, I think it looks quite natural.

1678315752_Scenery55.jpg.21a103a2c787674cf8ff077b2b580aec.jpg

Other material used was old horsehair carpet underfelt. Bleached and dyed as required. 

791792944_Scenery30.jpg.9a26659278c30f03a605556570e28465.jpg

More-verdant areas were sourced from Noch sheets. 

1879272096_Scenery43.jpg.f34648a9b347da3c5c3f2d48780357fc.jpg

To give a different colour texture to the flat areas beneath the embankments. Limestone is very porous, so embankment/cutting grass would not be so bright as that at lower, horizontal levels, especially in warmer spells. 

Richard Wilson indulges in some 'gardening' at the south end. 

1158293119_Scenery50.jpg.0d96f8bf001e9a0dd7c0dbef4fb4ac9e.jpg

I think the contrast works quite well. 

780949537_Scenery45.jpg.09647426a3fd7c9d6c9c0300e40ce0c8.jpg

This small field is made from one of the Noch sheets of 'standing-up grass', not electro-static. The same material also borders the occupation road across the bridge to Marsh Farm. 

224536601_overallview67.jpg.34505368b3152ee73ee74ecbca28ae0f.jpg

An overall view showing the different colours/textures. 

Many of these pictures were taken some time ago, before final details were added. 

With nearly 30' of scenery to model, I think a 'broad brush' approach is required.

I hope these help.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony,

that is very useful indeed and quite thought provoking.  A much broader range of techniques than I was expecting.  I have some old carpet underlay but it’s very corse and the medical lint used on Hungerford was an equivalent but finer material.  Thanks also for all the photos.  We’ll be meeting up tomorrow so we can have a good discussion with regards where to go next.  We too have 30 feet of layout to landscape which at 5 feet deep  will require a similar amount of grassing over to LB.   
Thanks again,

Frank

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 46444 said:

Good Evening Tony,

Likewise, I've had a wonderful day in your's and Mo's company with Gilly on hand for Meet and Greet Duty.

The photos look stunning and Thank you for taking them.

You certainly can not beat a little Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 on a small rake of Gresley/Thompson stock. The real 46468 was originally a Cambridge 31A resident heading North to Oban shed eventually.

Here's my take on proceedings. .

TW Visit. LB 13/4/22

TW Visit. LB 13/4/22

TW Visit. LB 13/4/22

And the Caley 812 and J27...

TW Visit. LB 13/4/22

TW Visit. LB 13/4/22

Everlasting thought of the day running wise was seeing the Hornby 9F take off with a full length freight train.. 

Not forgetting the sight and sound of an A4 on a 14 coach train racing along. Pure magic...

Thank you once again.

Mark 

Thanks for posting these Mark,

Just one thing, when you get the chance, please brush off the cobwebs on the front of your wee Ivatt (they're not visible in your pictures, fortunately; unless you've removed them in Photoshop). 

Though much running has taken place on the main line of late, the MR/M&GNR bit of Bytham hasn't been used for a few weeks. Thus, when I put the 2-6-0 on the section and ran it round, it must have removed all the little spiders' webs beneath the bridges! I removed them in Photoshop, but they'll still be there in reality.

My apologies.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 13/04/2022 at 12:00, Chuffer Davies said:

Whilst obviously in much smaller spaces that would be typical on our layouts, a number of armour modellers apply the static grass to their bases then 'prime' the whole lot with black paint before painting the various green shades over that with some stunning results, far better than those achieved by simply applying the static grass and leaving it.  Of course, this would be a lot more work on a 30' long layout that a 1' square diorama...

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, johndon said:

Whilst obviously in much smaller spaces that would be typical on our layouts, a number of armour modellers apply the static grass to their bases then 'prime' the whole lot with black paint before painting the various green shades over that with some stunning results, far better than those achieved by simply applying the static grass and leaving it.  Of course, this would be a lot more work on a 30' long layout that a 1' square diorama...

Any chance you could post some pictures as a reference please?

Regards,

Frank

7 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Any chance you could post some pictures as a reference please?

Regards,

Frank

From about 8:40 in this video.  As I said, this is on a much smaller area than we would typically do but there is no denying the results...

The building in the diorama is scribed out of foam blocks, another very useful technique for railway modellers, in a lot of cases, from a realism point of view, the armour modellers even in 1/76 scale, are light years ahead of most railway modellers.

Edited by johndon
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

46 minutes ago, polybear said:

The modelling on this layout looks rather fine - it's creator has written a book all about it:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10716633/Dedicated-hobbyist-completes-detailed-model-busy-market-town-starting-project-1959.html

It has also appeared at least twice over the years in MRJ.

Edited by johndon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for posting these Mark,

Just one thing, when you get the chance, please brush off the cobwebs on the front of your wee Ivatt (they're not visible in your pictures, fortunately; unless you've removed them in Photoshop). 

Though much running has taken place on the main line of late, the MR/M&GNR bit of Bytham hasn't been used for a few weeks. Thus, when I put the 2-6-0 on the section and ran it round, it must have removed all the little spiders' webs beneath the bridges! I removed them in Photoshop, but they'll still be there in reality.

My apologies.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks for the heads up Tony.

Spider cobweb clearance trains were often employed in the Springtime by MGNR/MR permanent way teams I understand.

A trusty Ivatt from Grantham was deemed suitable for the arachnid antics and headed out on a web clearance train as  needed.

In this instance and with pending line closure not too often as the case may be by all accounts.

The Shed Foreman has cleared the Ivatt  cleaning as needed for the weekend rota.

Thanks once again.

Mark 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

The modelling on this layout looks rather fine - it's creator has written a book all about it:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10716633/Dedicated-hobbyist-completes-detailed-model-busy-market-town-starting-project-1959.html

Many thanks for posting that link.

I recall seeing that layout in MRJ, which managed to have the article with no track plan. I was astonished at how many different scenes were incorporated into what is really a fairly small layout (quite a bit smaller than Buckingham) and I really wanted to know how it had been set out. The modelling has a realism and a sense of place and time that I have seldom seen done as well yet it is an entirely freelance railway. I found it truly inspirational. I rarely see a layout and think "I would love to have one just like that" but Amberdale did that to me, especially for the scenic work and the way the various scenes were created and modelled. It looked like good fun to operate as well.

That is one book I may well be adding to my collection.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3