Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

31 minutes ago, Ian Rathbone said:

From shelf queen to work horse -BB6E927C-114D-42A9-8F72-948379A18273.jpeg.25cd069152bb3801933372207901cd37.jpeg

AB2DF57E-D415-4489-ABEB-521358C7ECA0.jpeg.5bfc9fa89a6a8659b6a62cc05f327df1.jpeg

7mm V2 built by Richard Spoors from the Martin Finley kit.

Ian R

Splendid job, Ian,

(I assume you mean Finney? If not, who is this new maker of fantastic kits?).

Can you believe, Richard was in my 'class' at Missenden for at least three years? What he could have learned from me, I have no idea; other than nothing! More likely, I learned from him.

I'll deliver my 4mm V2 (and an A4) for you to paint next week. Though your painting of it will be top class (as in the model above), my model certainly be in the same class as Richard's.

As an aside, in case anyone thinks I'm dissatisfied with Geoff Haynes' painting of my models, this is definitely not the case. He has two of mine being painted at the moment, and soon there'll be three more!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Sayajirao said:

<Snip>

Tongue in cheek, the Sir Nigel/he/she conundrum fits in well with the current PC debate, maybe male named locos should now be Them?

IMG_4901.jpeg

Please no!

Alan

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

11 hours ago, Sayajirao said:

Tongue in cheek, the Sir Nigel/he/she conundrum fits in well with the current PC debate, maybe male named locos should now be Them?

As I have pointed out several times on this forum and others, this issue was settled in 1830 between Fanny Kemble (a lady well worth 'googling' in her own right) and George Stephenson. To quote Miss Kemble's diary "all the little fire-horses are made mares".

• Like 4

11 hours ago, drmditch said:

As I have pointed out several times on this forum and others, this issue was settled in 1830 between Fanny Kemble (a lady well worth 'googling' in her own right) and George Stephenson. To quote Miss Kemble's diary "all the little fire-horses are made mares".

Good morning,

I've read this somewhere, but I don't know if it's apocryphal, but on seeing BISMARK completed, Hitler insisted that the ship be referred to in masculine form - 'he set sail', or 'bless those who sail in him', for instance. Such a mighty warship had to be male, in his twisted logic!

Apparently, applying the female gender to ships is not confined to the UK.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I mentioned loco lamps in my post about GANNET.

Having looked through some pictures of A4s, it's interesting to note that 60008's lamp brackets (those above each front buffer) were not at the same height - The Book of the A4s, by Peter Coster; rather as on the model of 60032, but not quite as pronounced. However, the real GANNET's would appear to be level. 

Oh, those joys of loco-picking! 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, drmditch said:

Surely the world has developed somewhat since the probably tongue-in-cheek comment made by Fanny at a time only five years after the opening of the Stockton and Darlington railway!

In the years since then, I suggest that locomotives with masculine names have far outnumbered females.  Most of the female named locomotives are probably titled - Princesses, Duchesses, Ladies and Queens especially come to mind, but the masculine names are far more varied.

The nicknaming of more modern locomotive traction is hardly complimentary to the female gender either:  There have been some female associations, such as the German first generation diesels nicknamed ‘Lolo’s’ owing to their bulbous front being reminiscent of a certain actress of the time.  But oh dear:  Skips, Sheds, Tractors and Gronks... hardly feminine associations, I suggest!

Edited by Chamby
Typo
  • Like 8

11 minutes ago, Chamby said:

The nicknaming of more modern locomotive traction is hardly complimentary to the female gender either:  There have been some female associations, such as the German first generation diesels nicknamed ‘Lolo’s’ owing to their bulbous front being reminiscent of a certain actress of the time.  

Then there is the next generation of East German motive power. The Ludmillas, most definately female. Big, powerful, noisy, dirty creatures from the Soviet Union. The Ossies could be both observant and sarcastic with their nick names.

Bernard

16165762625_4b81d8ef1d.jpg.e8e74d00b2588560760025f2b406bda6.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning,

I've read this somewhere, but I don't know if it's apocryphal, but on seeing BISMARK completed, Hitler insisted that the ship be referred to in masculine form - 'he set sail', or 'bless those who sail in him', for instance. Such a mighty warship had to be male, in his twisted logic!

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony. I also frequent a warships website, and yes, have seen this usage there sometimes, especially for Bismarck and particularly from posters whose online persona is presented as ‘Germanic’ in origin. 

(You will note how carefully I phrased that by the way; unlike RMWeb as it appears in the main, there seem to be certain websites around that, however good the content - and it usually is - leave you a little unsure the participants are always quite who and what they claim to be …)!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

But neither is it exclusive, especially wrt warships, as this from the golden age of non-PC expression demonstrates:

The Liner she’s a lady, an’ she never looks nor ’eeds—

The Man-o’-War’s ’er ’usband, an’ ’e gives ’er all she needs;

R. Kipling

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 20/05/2023 at 21:02, Ian Rathbone said:

774C674B-4567-4E3F-8CDF-589278A1E1D1.jpeg.b57a5ca99b9c5abf6a0833411754a2f4.jpeg

Lovely, as I remember it from two of my first main line steam railtours. 

The first was the return leg of the Cumbrian Coast Express from Ravenglass to Carnforth, on my seventh birthday (Leander hauled the outward leg); the second the North Yorkshireman a couple of years later, which I think was Carnforth to the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway and back.  It hammered down most of that day but the sound of 75078 and then 48431 on the run to Oxenhope still stick in the memory.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Weathering certainly does enhance a model railway in terms of realism, BUT I don't weather expensive RTR locos, especially my North American O scale locos with their intricate and colourful liveries, a step too far for me, though a few tatty freight cars exist on my layout - just a few though as many freight cars are just as intricately and superbly finished as my locos. They stay as is.

I remember a while ago buying a OO Bachman Standard class for well under retail price from Hattons. Lined green, I intended to grot it up to a typical late 60's Patricroft loco. When "it" arrived I was gobsmacked at the near perfect finish, and I found that her ("he," "she," "it," "we," "they," "them," "us," "him," "her," "his," "hers," "its," "theirs," "our," "your."  !!) last shed was Bolton, and still to the end remained in green livery, and also I noted was marked in my ABC as copped on shed at Bolton (after a long bike ride from Wigan on a borrowed from my mate pink girls bike - another crazy story) !!. Well, that was that - she stayed as is, and still looks wonderful next to a mucky Bachman WD. 

Brit15

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Thank you Tony. The scale is 1/32 and "Winston Churchill" is an Aster live steam model, in fact the locomotive belonging to Andrew Pullen, who developed and brought to the UK market a great selection of highly regarded live steam locomotives in collaboration with Aster in Japan.  Andrew very kindly let me have many of the components  of one to produce my own electrically powered version with scale wheels - "project Watersmeet" as I have dubbed it.  More years ago than I care to remember, I must get on with it!

The brake van I scratch built in Plastikard, using  Slaters wheels  and buffers.

Here is a brake van I made earlier, after I (eventually) weathered it.

DSCN0052.JPG.fc31b7394fffacf09b893bb20645a107.JPG

For myself, I aim to have everything weathered as in my mind I am trying to recreate a real railway scene, albeit a highly improbable one!

A bit more akin to your own layout and approach, perhaps, is this youtube clip of Bob Hunter's converted Aster on my old garden line.

Bideford at speed

I love the differences in approach that we all take in enjoying what is a wonderful hobby, as is so well evidenced by this great thread.

Simon

Thanks Simon,

Wonderful work!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, iak said:

He, She or It? All the same to me - living, breathing beasties...

Now weathering does matter to me. It brings models to life, allows the muse to serve your endeavours to create a scene. I hope the below illustrate that :

39880726_10216292587843280_2484893572944363520_o.jpg.1e62c3ae6c3dbcf78abbe4d9c15238b6.jpg

A humble BR steel Medfit, full of skanky, waste ballast.

2020-08-16-15-54-31.jpg.4a91a28fd6a9614e61c83fcf5e9839ca.jpg

An auld LMS Highfit, seeing out its days humping waste ballast.

2019-07-31-16-07-52.jpg.ba2e23752c73c6b84e85150f1720dcef.jpg

A venerable, battered Grampus awaits its next duty.

2019-07-31-16-15-12.jpg.a162af221417f1d64f852f9a82542652.jpg

An auld, fitted LMS Medfit, now with the Engineers Dept.

2019-07-31-16-11-51.jpg.17a9a06ed9171ffd0036c81beb8fc358.jpg

Another bashed up, former LMS Highfit; this time, in the service of the S&T Dept.

All this stock is runs on Mostyn. So what, it's P4, does that make it better? No; however, each item is an individual, part of the overall creation.

Talking of which, back to the workdesk. More scuzzy, decrepit, filthy stock needs finishing...

Living breathing beasties - surely makes em female

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 23/05/2023 at 17:06, Ian Rathbone said:

From shelf queen to work horse -BB6E927C-114D-42A9-8F72-948379A18273.jpeg.25cd069152bb3801933372207901cd37.jpeg

AB2DF57E-D415-4489-ABEB-521358C7ECA0.jpeg.5bfc9fa89a6a8659b6a62cc05f327df1.jpeg

7mm V2 built by Richard Spoors from the Martin Finney kit.

Ian R

What a superb example of model making, painting and weathering.

I had the great pleasure of seeing Richard work on this model at Missenden and I was very impressed by the way he would alter or replace parts in the kit that were a just a tiny bit out of scale or not correct in some way. I recall him explaining that the use of an etch means that you don't get the variety of thicknesses of metal that you get in the real thing and that an over thick etched component could throw dimensions out by a few thou, so he was using the kit parts as templates to make new parts in metal of a different thickness. I hadn't seen anybody go to those lengths before.

He really was going "the extra mile" to build his locos and it shows!

Edited by t-b-g
typo
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

The feminist perspective I read somewhere is that in the past men having a traditional misogynistic attitude saw machines as things to be bossed about and tamed hence them being seen as female. That has a certain credibility to the origins of the attribution of female gender to machines. Same with ascribing he to unknown vehicle drivers, before the modern era the driver would have been male. 

I am sure someone somewhere will have made a PhD thesis out of the subject.

• Agree 1

English used gender for everything once upon a time, just like the French still do. Even a couple of years ago an old gentleman in rural Derbyshire was quite happily referring to a teapot as "she" in normal speech. Unfortunately the conversation was unavoidably brief, but it was a fascinating peek into older English.

• Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, Curlew said:

English used gender for everything once upon a time, just like the French still do. Even a couple of years ago an old gentleman in rural Derbyshire was quite happily referring to a teapot as "she" in normal speech. Unfortunately the conversation was unavoidably brief, but it was a fascinating peek into older English.

Most interesting. Thank you.

Interestingly, had the old gentleman been from the Black Country, he'd have referred to the teapot as 'her'. As in 'her is on the boil' or 'her' will be nice and brewed by now. 50 years ago, when I first moved to Wolverhampton, I was quite confounded by this.  Trying to be clever (always dangerous, because I'm not), in a local with some local mates, including women, I foolishly said "It's she's turn to get the round in". I just got blank expressions.........

It only applied in the feminine; I never heard the likes of 'him is making the tea'. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3