RMweb

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Robert,

I believe one of the Blue Pullman sets was trialled on the ECML (as a possible substitute for loco-hauled Pullman cars?), but the notion was never taken up because (as you state) the maximum speed was only 90 mph, when the Deltics were going at least ten mph faster, and accelerating more quickly as well. 

I've had a shortened set running on Little Bytham..........

BachmannMidlandPullman02.jpg.b60f188349080e5b62b5589202c77961.jpg

When the train pack was first released, and, believe it or not, running in DCC-mode.

BachmannMidlandPullman01.jpg.40fefc8b4626ed4d0ba3e4286cca0516.jpg

It was very-attractively packaged.

Regards,

Tony. 

Good Morning Tony,

I hope you are well? Think we've mentioned the Blue Pullman through Bytham on here before, the photo I have is dated October 1965, but seem to recall you saying the trees would suggest otherwise. 

I would have thought 6 cars would make it more comparable to The Master Cutler, than a 100mph Deltic hauled service? Did a Brush type 2 hauling six Pullman cars on the Master Cutler get anywhere near 100mph? I doubt it, think they were rated at 90mph, weren't they? Similar for an EE type 4? 

All irrelevant of course, but I always like a 'What if' scenario. 

image.png.50abfc774eabd838403e73f02227c87f.png

Edited by lee74clarke
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, robertcwp said:

Apart from two generations of station building on the south side, Reading is unrecognisable compared to how it was 20 or so years ago.

39383064662_7e9b5ca5c5_c.jpg47816_Reading-_28-8-01 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Agreed. Reading is my nearest "big" station, and i've spent many day's there (on the country end of the old Platform 5) or travelling through it to spend a day at Didcot. The current station, whilst definitely being more efficient for the railway and traveller, now feels a more sterile place, and certainly not so photography friendly.

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Andy,

I don't know about a 'reprimand'; if it works, then that's fine, but I know nothing about 'stay-alives', 'frog juicers' or any other items in the paraphernalia associated with DCC mentioned on here of late.

I firmly believe in the efficacy of live frogs, and not relying on the switch-rails to transfer electricity on any pointwork. The Code 100 Peco points I used in Bytham's fiddle yards were (ostensibly) 'live-frog', but the wiring suggested seemed, at best, a half-way-house to me. 

Thus, I modified them............

By removing some webbing and permanently bonding (with 30Amp fusewire) the switch rails to the stock rails.

Then gapping the switch rails, so as to completely isolate the frog.

Then changing the frog's polarity with micro-switches. 

The result is completely-free-from-stuttering-running through the pointwork, using a system I understand.

Regards,

Tony. 

Good morning Tony,

That is what I do on normal Peco points although with autofrogs rather than micro switches.  As Robert says the newer Peco points are easier. I just couldn’t figure it out for the 3 way.

Regards

Andy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Yes, four BFK 2d are shown as WR in the 1980 RCTS book. 

2 to go!!!!

I have 14152 and 14159, but in different sets, may build the other 2

48 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

The newer Peco points don't need the rails cutting as they are made with a break which is bridged underneath, so you cut that instead. The link between stock rail and blade still needs to be made. The bullhead points dispense with this arrangement and are live both ways. The frog is dead but is metal and can be wired to a switch or, for DCC, a frog juicer.

What micro switches do you use, please?

Good morning again Robert,

I don't know the brand name, but I bought over 100 of the small micro-switches from All Components in 2008.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, lee74clarke said:

Good Morning Tony,

I hope you are well? Think we've mentioned the Blue Pullman through Bytham on here before, the photo I have is dated October 1965, but seem to recall you saying the trees would suggest otherwise. 

I would have thought 6 cars would make it more comparable to The Master Cutler, than a 100mph Deltic hauled service? Did a Brush type 2 hauling six Pullman cars on the Master Cutler get anywhere near 100mph? I doubt it, think they were rated at 90mph, weren't they? Similar for an EE type 4? 

Good morning Lee,

Very well, thank you; as I hope you and yours are, too.

I can't recall the Blue Pullman having been mentioned on here before (a crumbling memory!), but, though 1965 might well be the correct year, the profusion of leaves on The Spinney's trees (did The Spinney exist in 1965?) and the very short shadow of the train suggest much earlier in the summer than October. 

The motive power for 'The Master Cutler' would certainly be limited to 90 mph (unless it was hauled by DP2, which was used on occasions), so the Blue Pullman set might have been considered for that service. However, the ride would not have been welcomed by passengers paying a premium price. 

It's amazing (compared with today's view) how prominent your parents' house is, and how clear of trees the MR/M&GNR embankment is (just six years after closure).

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lee74clarke said:

Good Morning Tony,

The 6-car sets only seated 132 all in first class. In 1963, the Master Cutler seated 90 second and 64 first.

image.png.95fc81fb9fece395194f550540e68ae0.png

By 1965-6, it was 64 first and 102 second:

image.png.749cd597de56da57f674ba6bea3c1663.png

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 October 1965 was the date given by David Percival in his book 'King's Cross Lineside' for the Blue Pullman test run between Leeds and King's Cross. David's photo of it crossing Welwyn Viaduct is on page 694 of Modern Railways December 1965. The accompanying report stated that the set ran from Reddish Depot via Huddersfield, Mirfield, Low Moor and Laisterdyke to Leeds Central. It ran on time to a 2 hour 46 minute schedule up to King's Cross and three minutes longer down, both with a 3 minute stop at Doncaster. The report noted that the BRB was apparently keen to see the sets used on the ER but ER management were less keen due to the limited seating accommodation and high staffing costs.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Geep7 said:

Agreed. Reading is my nearest "big" station, and i've spent many day's there (on the country end of the old Platform 5) or travelling through it to spend a day at Didcot. The current station, whilst definitely being more efficient for the railway and traveller, now feels a more sterile place, and certainly not so photography friendly.

As an enthusiast I agree, but when I'm travelling out of necessity, Reading station is a massive improvement on what it used to be and more like a modern European station.  The old layout would never have coped with the passenger flows now - which is one of the major reasons why it was remodelled - and the old footbridge which you could feel wobbling if ten people walked across it at the same time, would probably have collapsed.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

As an enthusiast I agree, but when I'm travelling out of necessity, Reading station is a massive improvement on what it used to be and more like a modern European station.  The old layout would never have coped with the passenger flows now - which is one of the major reasons why it was remodelled - and the old footbridge which you could feel wobbling if ten people walked across it at the same time, would probably have collapsed.

The new station works better than the old and the flyover at the west end was also a big change for the better. It's completely characterless though and the 'transfer deck' is awful.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

It's completely characterless though and the 'transfer deck' is awful.

I dare say people felt the same of the station as rebuilt in 1898.

Or perhaps not: I did read the tale that there was great rejoicing in the town one day in the 1860s when news spread that the station was on fire. This turned to general disappointment when it was discovered that the fire was at the South Eastern station.

• Funny 6

9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I hope that's not tempting fate, Tony?

It probably is, Graham.

Are the railways running as normal today? Though what constitutes 'normal' running seems very flexible at the moment. 

I hope ALYCIDON does run today. It's been my good fortune to see Deltics since we've moved here (would you believe, 19 years ago?!).

55019Bytham23040501jpg.jpg.c06b9f10682b82ffc4f1e7b00edbe45e.jpg

55019Bytham230405.jpg.24c5e13950cdc82a782f3a993bb08050.jpg

55019 on 23 4 2005.

55022Bytham5100701.jpg.ab4afbad3d54e51439a6336972ef2bbd.jpg

55022Bytham5100702.jpg.1a802570ddb0676d6ef65c30162822d0.jpg

55022 on the 5 10 2007

D900002.jpg.9358f8d41692d01be5a144c66b1759f0.jpg

I don't have a date for this one, but it's D9000 being towed by a Class 40 at Tallington. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 15

All I can say is that the day I had a ride behind 'Deltic 9', it had an exhaust fire down your end of the ECML. It somehow seemed to survive the experience and duly pitched up at York (where I was due to board) some 45mins late. The scenes of rejoicing on Waverley platform amongst the support crew when we eventually arrived was like they'd made it to the moon.

Tornado took over for the run back south (the real reason I was there), which it accomplished all the way back to 'The Cross' without the slightest fuss or bother.

All that being said, I know how much goes into these things so, for the sake of all the unsung lads and lassies involved, I sincerely hope it shows up on time and everyone is having a grand day out.

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

All I can say is that the day I had a ride behind 'Deltic 9', it had an exhaust fire down your end of the ECML. It somehow seemed to survive the experience and duly pitched up at York (where I was due to board) some 45mins late. The scenes of rejoicing on Waverley platform amongst the support crew when we eventually arrived was like they'd made it to the moon.

Tornado took over for the run back south (the real reason I was there), which it accomplished all the way back to 'The Cross' without the slightest fuss or bother.

All that being said, I know how much goes into these things so, for the sake of all the unsung lads and lassies involved, I sincerely hope it shows up on time and everyone is having a grand day out.

My wife was on this one, if it's the trip I'm thinking of - some friends had joined the train at York, and she, along with many others, was stood on the platform at Durham waiting. To their horror, "Boat 9" shot through on the Down Fast. However, it was a smart piece of work by Control - there was a train just behind the special, so in order not to delay that one, the special's passengers at Durham were told to board this normal service for the short run to Newcastle, where the special was held for them.

There's a super video on FaceAche, taken by a friend of mine, of Tornado lifting the train - 13 on & no diesel, IIRC - from the stop at Durham on the return journey. Not a hint of a slip; just steady acceleration up the bank & away to York.

Mark

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, MarkC said:

My wife was on this one, if it's the trip I'm thinking of - some friends had joined the train at York, and she, along with many others, was stood on the platform at Durham waiting. To their horror, "Boat 9" shot through on the Down Fast. However, it was a smart piece of work by Control - there was a train just behind the special, so in order not to delay that one, the special's passengers at Durham were told to board this normal service for the short run to Newcastle, where the special was held for them.

Yep - that's the one. David Elliott from the Trust was there to 'supervise' those boarding at Durham and instead he and the passengers were treated to what must have been a rather splendid run past!!

As you say, quickly resolved.

Never a dull moment!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

19 may have been the most powerful diesel loco to run in uk at the time.

They had set the governers wrong a while ago at each power unit was at around 2000bhp

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Yep - that's the one. David Elliott from the Trust was there to 'supervise' those boarding at Durham and instead he and the passengers were treated to what must have been a rather splendid run past!!

As you say, quickly resolved.

Never a dull moment!

Yes, 75MPH over the viaduct, then opening up at the north end of the station would have been an aural treat! There's something almost primeval about a Deltic in full cry!

Mark 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, OliverBytham said:

This morning was the first time I’ve ever witnessed a Deltic roar past at full chat. Certainly leaves an impression. Several families on the same bridge left with very excited children!

Great stuff Ollie!

A few minutes before.............

ALYCIDON2972302.jpg.22015fc73c04406422b524ed0c91269b.jpg

ALYCIDON2972304Class47atrear.jpg.396822b2497c11727518c4f38e6bcbde.jpg

By the school at Little Bytham.

Azuma29723.jpg.3027bff7d005b8315a9672fb079d5453.jpg

I wonder, in 60 years time, if anyone will be out photographing these? I say that because it's over 60 years ago when I took my first picture of a Deltic! 

'9 is back through Tallington at 5.30 today (or should be) - she was at least 30 minutes down this morning. I'll be at Essendine later.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Great stuff Ollie!

A few minutes before.............

ALYCIDON2972302.jpg.22015fc73c04406422b524ed0c91269b.jpg

ALYCIDON2972304Class47atrear.jpg.396822b2497c11727518c4f38e6bcbde.jpg

By the school at Little Bytham.

Azuma29723.jpg.3027bff7d005b8315a9672fb079d5453.jpg

I wonder, in 60 years time, if anyone will be out photographing these? I say that because it's over 60 years ago when I took my first picture of a Deltic! 

'9 is back through Tallington at 5.30 today (or should be) - she was at least 30 minutes down this morning. I'll be at Essendine later.

Regards,

Tony. 

No they won't be around, but surprised at the tail load a 47, is that so it can have its traction motor soverspeed wrecked?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MJI said:

No they won't be around, but surprised at the tail load a 47, is that so it can have its traction motor's overspeed wrecked?

That's why such railtours are timed for no more than 95mph.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It probably is, Graham.

Are the railways running as normal today? Though what constitutes 'normal' running seems very flexible at the moment. 

I hope ALYCIDON does run today. It's been my good fortune to see Deltics since we've moved here (would you believe, 19 years ago?!).

55019Bytham23040501jpg.jpg.c06b9f10682b82ffc4f1e7b00edbe45e.jpg

55019Bytham230405.jpg.24c5e13950cdc82a782f3a993bb08050.jpg

55019 on 23 4 2005.

55022Bytham5100701.jpg.ab4afbad3d54e51439a6336972ef2bbd.jpg

55022Bytham5100702.jpg.1a802570ddb0676d6ef65c30162822d0.jpg

55022 on the 5 10 2007

D900002.jpg.9358f8d41692d01be5a144c66b1759f0.jpg

I don't have a date for this one, but it's D9000 being towed by a Class 40 at Tallington. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Those steel sleepers always make me think of the old Hornby tinplate O gauge track!  Any special reason for them to be used rather than the more common concrete style. There is, or was, a length further north on the ECML near Shipton by Beningbrough.

Good set of photos Tony.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, OliverBytham said:

This morning was the first time I’ve ever witnessed a Deltic roar past at full chat. Certainly leaves an impression. Several families on the same bridge left with very excited children!

Fabulous - The sight and sound I grew up to!     

I may have been short-changed on "real" steam action but every Deltic and Baby Deltic is underlined numerous times in my Ian Allen Combined Volumes.   In the case of the Babies that's no mean feat!

Alan

• Like 3