Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
On 08/08/2023 at 21:13, Hollar said:

Does anyone know where to buy a single large sheet of extruded polystyrene, for a 6x2 foot ultraportable layout?  I spent a lot of time this morning searching the web, and the smallest quantity I could find was a pack of 18 sheets, which would be enough to build somewhere to house it.

I'm able to collect it anywhere around Greater London.

Tony

https://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/kingspan-greenguard-gg500-60mm    Any use?

• Informative/Useful 3

16 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I hope you like the book, Rich.

I tried to get one for Jesse Sim, but Irwell had sold the lot. In a way I was delighted, because any royalties went to a children's hospice in Kent.

Regards,

Tony. 

And if anyone has one and is willing to sell it on I’d be happy to make a donation to CRUK so the “contribution” continues. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'll be demonstrating/loco-doctoring at the Loughborough Show over the weekend (just by myself - Mo will be gardening!). 

I normally take something I'm in the process of making, but on Tuesday I had nothing started. So, I began making this................

NeilFisherNu-CastK201.jpg.50928f69475874e25f67485ab88dd1d9.jpg

NeilFisherNu-CastK202.jpg.c71822b475853effd20fe236fafe961d.jpg

It's an old Nu-Cast K2 kit which I bought from the estate of the late Neil Fisher of the Bulwell Club. I bought it at Ruddington a couple of months ago. 

Fortunately, it had a brass set of frames as well as the cast metal lump, so it runs on those. Powered by a DJH AM10 motor/gearbox combo, it happily took 40 vans with ease. 

I hope to see some of you at Loughborough over the weekend.

• Like 16

Starting the old Nu-Cast K2 kit, I was reminded of the first one of these I built, when the kit first appeared (45 years ago?).

Nu-CastK261745onMGNRexpress.jpg.a3fea91cab780a4535bcb08f8c3ee1f1.jpg

At the time, it came solely with the cast metal lump for a chassis. Disliking this, I scratch-built a set of brass frames for it, though they're rather devoid of detail. It'll stay as it is, a 'testament' to my building, painting and weathering. 

Just to arouse possible interest, I'll be collecting several items of EM Gauge locos/stock at the weekend. I'll check these and then put them up for sale. Yes, you've guessed it - another bereavement. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

My trusty Pentax K1000 (the best 'budget' 35mm camera ever in my view) just about wore out, but the second-hand Nikon F (should electricity ever become too expensive) could still be going strong. As for the Pentax 6X7 I eventually used, apart from giving me fantastic pictures, it enabled me to participate in the competition to find 'The World's Most Perfectly-Ruptured Man'!

You reminded me of my beloved Pentax SV, unused since before Lockdown - now to get some film. Having said that Digital is a thousand times easier for taking pictures of the train set.

IMG_20230810_150829_MP(2).jpg.4384497fc41c23ae281ad9e86d44390a.jpg

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

I've done a bit more on the old Nu-Cast K2............

NeilFisherNu-CastK203.jpg.4f692ffb14986fb64f825fcbf47e7f89.jpg

Including representing any brake rigging on the tender, which is not supplied. 

Nu-CastK261760.jpg.b55e89e8d0dd15d2bff23501288388a2.jpg

It wasn't supplied on the Nu-Cast and Partners re-released K2 kit, either; and I should have made-up some. 

Geoff Haynes will be getting the 'new' one once I've finished it, to paint just as splendidly as this.

Both these locos, and several other recent ones, will be on display on my stand at the Loughborough Show, tomorrow and Sunday. I hope to see you there. 

I have a letter published in the latest copy of the Railway Modeller, where I mention a K2. 

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Hope Loughborough is enjoyable, Tony. It's the Wells show this weekend so we're off for our usual stay at The

Swan. I hope to catch up with some mates tomorrow for a pint or two between trains, in one of the many

splendid pubs near Wells Town Hall!

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good news regarding my The Book of the LNER Pacifics Modelling Options

A friend has got a spare copy, which he's giving to me when I next see him. Jesse, you're in luck! 

Excellent! 

Please pass on my thanks.

Just pop it in the post with that J6 and lovely new K2. 🤣

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Hope Loughborough is enjoyable, Tony. It's the Wells show this weekend so we're off for our usual stay at The

Swan. I hope to catch up with some mates tomorrow for a pint or two between trains, in one of the many

splendid pubs near Wells Town Hall!

Good evening Al,

Ah, yes, the Wells Show - one of the finest in the calendar. 

Mo and I always used to go, and were invited to the 2020 event, but Covid saw that off. After that, no more.

Please pass on my good wishes to Chris and his team when you visit the show. We often stayed at the Swan. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Though hats off to him, he's done well to make the most of it.

I wonder whether we (slightly) older people look at (slightly) younger folks' newly invented jobs (YouTube video star, Instagram influencer etc) in disbelief, in much the same way that previous generations looked at then newly-invented jobs such as independent TV producer, PR Consultants or Advertising Executives? Going even further back, did people think that new-fangled jobs such as Motor Mechanic, Book Printer and Doctor wouldn't be around very long?

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chas Levin said:

I wonder whether we (slightly) older people look at (slightly) younger folks' newly invented jobs (YouTube video star, Instagram influencer etc) in disbelief, in much the same way that previous generations looked at then newly-invented jobs such as independent TV producer, PR Consultants or Advertising Executives? Going even further back, did people think that new-fangled jobs such as Motor Mechanic, Book Printer and Doctor wouldn't be around very long?

I suppose it's not really that much different from reviewing something for a magazine or newspaper is it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, rodent279 said:

I suppose it's not really that much different from reviewing something for a magazine or newspaper is it?

Apart from the fact that the reviewer has limited subject expertise, and strings it out for about half-an-hour with about a minute of meaningful content.  There is no editorial discipline: the amount of piffle that these ‘reviews’ spout is unbelievable.

• Agree 6

Having spent a most-enjoyable weekend at the Loughborough Show, may I please thank all with whom I spoke, all those who bought models and/or donated to CRUK and to the members of the Soar Valley Club for putting on such a good exhibition? 

Due to clubroom thefts, the Ivanhoe club's Loughborough Midland (built by the late Dave Tooley) was short of appropriate motive power at the show. So (luckily) I was able to provide some of Tom Wright's diesel-outline locos (ex-Stoke diesel/ex-Finton) for the operators to borrow. I'm told they all ran well, and we were glad to help. Gentlemen, if you need them again, they're always available. 

The show was very well-attended, and I managed to sell quite a number of the GWR/PO rolling stock items I mentioned in an earlier post. Most of these were built in EM (which means they're much more difficult to sell). No matter, I just re-gauged them to OO (heresy to some, I know), and then they fairly flew! 

The stumbling block to many sales was the fact that the items of rolling stock had either screw-link, three-link or Sprat & Winkle couplings. Those built from kits had them at source, of course, but those items which were modified RTR had had the tension-lock mounts lopped off (good; very good as far as I'm concerned!). This caused great dismay among many potential customers (even though I was selling most of the wagons at only a fiver each), resulting in their turning away. I said it would be easy to fix tension-locks (I even had some for sale), but no. No good! Is the level of skill so poor with some 'modellers' that the fixing-on of something as simple as (ghastly) tension-locks is beyond them?  

I'll be going through the rest of the (mainly GWR EM) items in the next few days, both locos and stock, assessing them and offering them for sale on here - proceeds to a good cause and also CRUK. Please, watch this space. 

Finally, how long did Siphon Fs and Siphon Gs last in service, please? Does anyone know? There are two very nice examples (one of each) which I've bought myself, and would like to repaint them into BR crimson/maroon. I'm finding prototype pictures of them in BR days difficult to track down.

Thanks in anticipation. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Is the level of skill so poor with some 'modellers' that the fixing-on of something as simple as (ghastly) tension-locks is beyond them?

Yes - undoubtedly!

This is of some concern to me as all my stock is fitted with Hornby Dublo / Peco Simplex couplings.

When my family come to sell on my stock, they will be faced with strong sales resistance, or the task of substituting thousands of tension-lock couplings!

Better flog the lot before I peg it !!

CJI.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Extracted from the HMRS/Pendragon volume by Messrs Slinn and Clarke:

Four of the six Siphon F's lasted until the mid-1950s, About 30 to 40 of the G's with outside-framed bodywork lasted past 1960 but all seem to have been withdrawn by the end of 1962.

The inside-framed G's lasted in quantity into BR blue, mainly in Newspaper traffic, and some beyond in Enparts/Departmental use.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

30 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Finally, how long did Siphon Fs and Siphon Gs last in service, please? Does anyone know? There are two very nice examples (one of each) which I've bought myself, and would like to repaint them into BR crimson/maroon. I'm finding prototype pictures of them in BR days difficult to track down.

Thanks in anticipation. 

As Dunsignalling states only 4 survived to BR with the last one being withdrawn in 1956. No 1548 (withdrawn 1955) spent the 1950's working to Newcastle upon Tyne and retained the American bogies, assuming your model is the ex K's which came with them. 1545 was the other Newcastle van but was withdrawn in 1953 but had the bogies changed for the shorter Collett 7ft type in GWR days. Depends on which Siphon G you have, ex Airfix - outside frame or ex Lima - inside frame body, though both were long lived?

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

The show was very well-attended, and I managed to sell quite a number of the GWR/PO rolling stock items I mentioned in an earlier post. Most of these were built in EM (which means they're much more difficult to sell). No matter, I just re-gauged them to OO (heresy to some, I know), and then they fairly flew! 

The stumbling block to many sales was the fact that the items of rolling stock had either screw-link, three-link or Sprat & Winkle couplings. Those built from kits had them at source, of course, but those items which were modified RTR had had the tension-lock mounts lopped off (good; very good as far as I'm concerned!). This caused great dismay among many potential customers (even though I was selling most of the wagons at only a fiver each), resulting in their turning away. I said it would be easy to fix tension-locks (I even had some for sale), but no. No good! Is the level of skill so poor with some 'modellers' that the fixing-on of something as simple as (ghastly) tension-locks is beyond them?  

As well as such people, many traders - who do not want to have to spend any time on items before they can mark them up by at least 50% - will also reject them.

On a positive note, this means bargains for the rest of us.  Some years ago I bought a job lot of 40+ wagons (Mainline, Airfix and kit-built), about half of which had EM axles and all had 3-link/screw couplings.  Now I know they aren't perfect by modern standards, but I think the price paid equated to about £1.50 per wagon.  That was before I sold the wagons I didn't want, fitted OO wheels from my own spares (and some included with the lot) and sold the EM wheels on eBay.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Speaking of reviewing models in magazines (and I've lost count of how many I've conducted), I'd say there is a fundamental difference between the published word and a review via social media (am I describing it correctly?). That said, I come from a position of some ignorance with regard to the latter because, having once watched a couple of such reviews, I squirmed at how badly they were presented and (speaking of ignorance) how little the reviewers actually knew about their subject matter - both model and prototype. Not only that, their command of our wonderful mother tongue was abysmal! Are such folk fairly described as 'influencers'? 

I believe there is a greater responsibility placed on the the reviewer for a magazine piece (and any attendant video which goes with it). With everything I review (and have reviewed), the manufacturer sees a copy beforehand. This does not give him/her a right to have anything altered, but it does give him/her a right to reply. This is true for both RTR products and kits I build. Any photographs I take or videos I'm part of are given freely to the manufacturers, should they wish to use them in their advertising/publicity/etc. For any RTR model I've assisted a manufacturer with in terms of consultations/loan of models/photographs/drawings/meetings, I will not review because of a potential clash of interest.

I certainly don't claim to get everything right - in my forthcoming review of Heljan's car carriers, I believe I said they held six cars - four on top, two small ones below. I based this comment on published information. Reading further (and in contradiction), another source states eight cars - five on top, three small ones below. I suppose it varied.

Returning to 'influencers', I would certainly not have listened much (if at all) to those contemporaries of my (young) age in my formative years. There might have been some modellers of great potential, but what experience would they have? Mine was very limited, so was theirs. No, those who 'influenced' me had done (what might be described as) 'the hard yards'. The Jenkinsons, Thompsons, Esserys, Dennys, Dyers, Sharmans, Aherns, Williams's, Van Meeterens, Pomroys and many, many others. All could write and speak well (are those two no longer pre-requisites for 'influencing') and all were 'true' modellers - self-reliant and willing to pass on what they knew. 

Perhaps (and I rejoice in this 'status') I'm just a 'grumpy old git'?

In this case you’re not being a grumpy old git Tony. The internet is littered with self proclaimed ‘experts’ spanning all fields including my own profession of audio engineering. It’s incredibly frustrating to see the proliferation of people spouting misinformation knowing those seeking knowledge will receive this as being correct. 

Unless I’ve hit the grumpy old git stage at the age of 50!

Jay

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2