Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wright writes.....

The Nu-Cast K2 is now complete.

NeilFisherNu-CastK205.jpg.7a27a5a68e528b7255aea02ae85a762e.jpg

Just the balance weights to source or make. None is supplied on the valve gear etch. 

As usual, I simplified the motion support arrangement.

It's a really sweet runner.

I've just washed the loco and tender bodies, so I'll photograph the complete thing tomorrow.

K261736ImminghamOctober54.jpg.67198c8888a92f652233d4fd5af3fe1b.jpg

An interesting prototype, though I didn't see this actual one (they were common around Sheffield and at Retford during my 'spotting days). Anyway, it's got a different style of tender with the 'pierced' handrail at the front. 

K261783KeithShed.jpg.eeb5bbb079dba80cc728eb3bd9d18686.jpg

This K2 has the same style tender as the one I've built, but it's a Scottish-based example, with better cab protection than the English ones. Yeadon tells us that one K2 with a side-window cab ended up in England, but it was withdrawn before Bytham's  represented year. Note the extra handrail to the rear of the tender, fixed during the War, but only on the nearside. 

Please respect copyright restrictions on the two prototype images. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Neither did I.

I shall follow up by looking into Worsley as they do a thrird and a brake 3rd that seem to be the right type.

Bernard

This is what you get with Worsley (composite in this instance):

WorsleyGER1.jpg.212f917673dc21ec4f0a5491dc110b06.jpg

And this is what you get from Mousa (full brake in this instance):

GEFullBrakeBCK06012.jpg.4893ad13e9d24f7fa18416c394351805.jpgGEFullBrakeBCK0601.jpg.e913dac97d47f6cc4dec493583461d5c.jpg

So quite a bit more, but then you pay more.

edit: added a rubbish photo of a Mousa Brake 3rd (the underframe etch is the same) as you mention that:

BCK0603D527BTK.jpg.3f3ca3627f791786fc0ec6ebdc069866.jpg

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I didn't say there was GE stuff just quite a lot of D&S came up in my carriage search, if it isn't Midland, M&GN or S&DJR I don't take much notice other than there seemed to be a lot of D&S stuff up at the moment. Mostly it's a bust for what I want which is Midland 6 wheelers right now and maybe the D&S MR ballast brake so I just live in hope and search.

Regards Lez.

17 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Interesting Mark,

Could that be the original George Allen etched kit for a footbridge, rebranded by Kemilway?

Regards,

Tony. 

Sort of, Kemilway say on the attached that they bought the rights to the kit in 1974, then they introduced an improved version in 1982.  This is one of the improved kits.

It's missing the FB1 instructions, I suspect that this covers the final assembly of the sub-assemblies.  I'll check the WWW to see if Kemilway still exist...

DOC180823-18082023130824.pdf

• Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, micklner said:

I have found that a polite call through to Dan (or a letter - not email) and being patient (he is now in his 80’s) generally gets good results as he still has a stock of 4mm kits.  I am currently making a GER push pull set, based on the Saffron Walden branch sets, from a D&S kit I bought from Dan last year.

Nigel

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mark Laidlay said:

Sort of, Kemilway say on the attached that they bought the rights to the kit in 1974, then they introduced an improved version in 1982.  This is one of the improved kits.

It's missing the FB1 instructions, I suspect that this covers the final assembly of the sub-assemblies.  I'll check the WWW to see if Kemilway still exist...

DOC180823-18082023130824.pdf 1.46 MB · 4 downloads

Apparently it is not - the daughter of the proprietor has responded to queries saying no longer trading, but did apparently say to someone the range is in the process of being sold.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Correct Tony. I built one maybe 12-13 years ago. I'd had it for maybe 20 years?

Andrew

Any chance you still have the instructions?  I'm missing the first one (FB1) re the overall construction.

Mark in Melbourne

Edited by Mark Laidlay

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The Nu-Cast K2 is now complete.

NeilFisherNu-CastK205.jpg.7a27a5a68e528b7255aea02ae85a762e.jpg

Just the balance weights to source or make. None is supplied on the valve gear etch. 

As usual, I simplified the motion support arrangement.

Would you say that the proportions of the etched valve gear put it firmly in an earlier period of kit design, even if not quite Hornby-Dublo standard? The parts of the motion bracket that will ultimately be visible, and all of the rods look as if their appearances would benefit greatly from a lot of slimming down.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, gr.king said:

Would you say that the proportions of the etched valve gear put it firmly in an earlier period of kit design, even if not quite Hornby-Dublo standard? The parts of the motion bracket that will ultimately be visible, and all of the rods look as if their appearances would benefit greatly from a lot of slimming down.

Good morning Graeme,

I'd say yes in answer to your first question. 

As for 'a lot of slimming down'?

Trainsrunning51K2.jpg.0957504f2f3f430bdbe5bac77a81f22b.jpg

It would appear you find 'chunky' valve acceptable. I'd say there's little difference here between my K2 and yours, valve gear-wise. In fact, the return crank on yours (Bachmann?) looks to be too long in my view (certainly in comparison with LRM's motion fret).

The biggest aid to 'slimming down' is weathering any motion (I never leave it in 'polished condition').

Nu-CastK261760studio.jpg.c866833c67f2f69733d33f9a497d31e0.jpg

An earlier Nu-Cast build of mine, painted by Geoff Haynes.

LondonRoadK261738studio.jpg.078170ec411e3064e1c329119e5bd851.jpg

I suppose the London Road K2's motion is more to 'scale'. This one was painted by Ian Rathbone. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Whatever the opinions on the Nu-Cast K2's motion, I've now put it back together..........

NeilFisherNu-CastK206.jpg.46165f03ccb2e6a0979ef7b670d8e0d2.jpg

Under such photographic scrutiny, my building always looks 'scabby'. 

Still.........

NeilFisherNu-CastK207.jpg.e42ae10ca3200bda34e3db246f9f4eca.jpg

NeilFisherNu-CastK208.jpg.b0d02530638a7242a483ab585740c9cd.jpg

She's definitely a layout loco, and will be off to Geoff Haynes for painting soon. 

Missing Brakes?

Valve Gear !! horrid !!

2 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

I'll have a look Mark

Andrew

Found the box Mark but no instructions so they must have been thrown out. I normally keep loco and other rollingstock instructions.

My recollection is that they weren't overly helpful in regards to joining all the separate units together if that's what you're looking for?

Here are a couple of photos of mine. In hindsight I think it should be dark grey rather than green.

DSC_1202.JPG.1a4eb32ccd5bbfdfda6366681f249c73.JPG

IMG_9642ps.jpg.1fb65a463b4139d2a865f550d1589ce3.jpg

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Graeme,

I'd say yes in answer to your first question. 

As for 'a lot of slimming down'?

Trainsrunning51K2.jpg.0957504f2f3f430bdbe5bac77a81f22b.jpg

It would appear you find 'chunky' valve acceptable. I'd say there's little difference here between my K2 and yours, valve gear-wise. In fact, the return crank on yours (Bachmann?) looks to be too long in my view (certainly in comparison with LRM's motion fret).

You're quite right about most of the valve gear on my two K2s and on one now owned by Graham Nicholas also being too chunky, and it's a direct consequence of using RTR mechanisms and trying at the time to produce a stud of K2s (and other suitable locos)  as quickly and cheaply as possible for Grantham's shows. In adapting the Bachmann split-axle V3 mechanisms (which are also old-school model design now) I did at least make the added parts of the tall motion bracket and the replacement double slidebars reasonably slim, since they had to be made and it seemed as easy to make them look right as it would have been to make them noticaebly too thick.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, micklner said:

Missing Brakes?

Valve Gear !! horrid !!

Thanks Mick,

Whenever you've posted pictures of your work on here in the past, I've resisted the temptation (in the main) to make 'negative' comments. 

I'll still adopt that stance, even though you've called what I've just produced 'terrible', 'frightful', 'rough' (OED). 

Regards,

Tony.

• Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

31 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Mick,

Whenever you've posted pictures of your work on here in the past, I've resisted the temptation (in the main) to make 'negative' comments. 

I'll still adopt that stance, even though you've called what I've just produced 'terrible', 'frightful', 'rough' (OED). 

Regards,

Tony.

Tony,

Where have I ever said "Terrible, Frightful or Rough for any of your builds ?.

I have commented on your useage of motors/gearboxes oversized for the kit you have built where they fill; the cab etc, and other minor points none with such terms ever being used. On this occasion your model had no Brakes fitted, only what I presume are the hangers on view and the word "Ugh" for the 1980's or earlier valve gear.

You have made numerous comments re faults on my models in the past on here , normally on re very minor aspects, I have read the same on other peoples builds as well !!.

The last posted on this thread by yourself  was relating to photos of some of  my Thompson Pacifics builds,  where you queried whether they were built straight, you even asked for further  3/4 views of the same models  . I posted other photos proving they were indeed straight , sadly you never responded any further either way with any further viewpoint. You then have said recently  its ok on another post  on here "that it does'nt matter if things are'nt that straight on occasions".

I have no problem with any constructive criticisms that come either way on here or elsewhere . They are useful on further builds, if they are not possible to be rectified,  on the particular  build in question.

The Valve Gear on your latest build is sorry,  poor quality hence "Ugh" and reflects 1980's or even earlier standards whenever they were actually made. Comments re hiding with weathering is not good advice for other modellers.

I still have a dislike or the excuse of "layout" useage  for any faults. It gives the wrong impression to many other model builder, as to how to build any kind of models.

IMHO

Regards Mick

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3