Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Going back to photographic viewpoints..........

LORDPRESIDENT09.jpg.2c1e418e9e3c946a759ec22f56749a6b.jpg

LORDPRESIDENT10B.jpg.5f7a976fe227596cd7608c6799b42248.jpg

More-elevated views can give a greater impression of how a layout is configured. 

That said..........

LORDPRESIDENT12.jpg.466d8fe762958d9e576ff58fb82a037d.jpg

LORDPRESIDENT15.jpg.7dfbe2add186432bddf00416a3617927.jpg

LORDPRESIDENT16.jpg.84896f6c26abc85389ba5230c0db1ff6.jpg

Eye-level views can be quite 'dramatic'! 

Graham Nicholas is right - I have taken a shine to 2003. I think it's a fantastic model..............

• Like 19

46 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

PRINCEOFWALESLORDPRESIDENT05.jpg.f232b4bcf7ac2d1f8b2bd78132aa0875.jpg

The different arrangement of the coal space and the rear end have been modelled correctly, it would seem. Like TORNADO?

Certainly round ends to the axle boxes. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony,

It was easy enough for Hornby to get right - the tender has already been modelled pretty accurately for their previous model of 'Tornado' (although the real loco's tender front has been heavily modified this year to incorporate the new ETCS equipment)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Tony,

The misbehaving locomotives, are they part of the Bytham fleet?  And what were the causes?  The occurrences are unusual, hence my curiosity.

Paul

Good morning Paul,

When you say 'misbehaving locomotives', do you mean the pony derailing on the new Hornby P2 (seen in the video), the A3's tender derailing and/or the loose driver on the A1? In the case of the first-mentioned, that was easily cured (as seen on the video) by adjusting the back-to-back and increasing the springing; an instant fix.

In the case of the A3's derailing tender, this occurred (at much higher than scale speed) on a trailing slip on the Down fast (problems on more complex trackwork are more prevalent, anyway; hence the real railway's removal of such things on fast lines in more recent years). After re-railing, the train was run several times more (at even higher speed) without any problems. After my friends had gone, I checked the tender wheels' back-to-backs, and all four axles were exactly right. I tried it again, leaving it running unattended for a dozen or so laps; absolutely no problems, so an isolated incident? 

All that had happened on the A1 (after a decade's use) was the nearside rear driver's retaining nut (Romford) had, over time, come loose. Not loose enough for the wheel to fall off, but loose enough for the nut to foul the coupling rod's rear, causing it to jam. A quick 'screw-up' with the Romford screwdriver and all was well again. 

Both the A3 and the A1 are part of Bytham's stud, and such problems are very, very rare (as I hope visitors will testify). Almost all Bytham's trains were run yesterday (several times) in about three hours' running, with just those isolated incidents (the derailed van had a twisted coupling). Which means near 50 different trains, and the same number of locos!

The new-build P2 PRINCE OF WALES will certainly not be part of Bytham's stud, and LORD PRESIDENT isn't appropriate, either.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Many thanks for an excellent day, yesterday, Tony. We all certainly enjoyed ourselves.

Thanks, also, for your kind comments, constructive criticisms, and new pony wheels for the O4 and for the Flying Pig kit. I read the instructions last night and quickly put everything back in the box! It was very selfish of Mr Ivatt to design a loco that is so difficult to make a model of.

Regards,

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I did the same with Millholme's version of the Ivatt Class 4 and ended up (part) building Crownline's version (with the milky bar boiler and firebox) instead, which was much more successful (there are pictures a few hundred pages back on this thread).  Bachmann's later incarnation put paid to its' completion...though maybe one day...

Mark

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

LORDPRESIDENT16.jpg.84896f6c26abc85389ba5230c0db1ff6.jpg

Eye-level views can be quite 'dramatic'! 

Indeed, I can see that not enough trouble has been taken at the design and manufacture stage to make a perfectly flush, invisible joint between the tapered front-half of the boiler cladding and the parallel rear part. There's a visible step at the transition! Is it some sort of plug-in joint, and Is any unpainted plastic showing?

29 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Indeed, I can see that not enough trouble has been taken at the design and manufacture stage to make a perfectly flush, invisible joint between the tapered front-half of the boiler cladding and the parallel rear part. There's a visible step at the transition! Is it some sort of plug-in joint, and Is any unpainted plastic showing?

Good morning Graeme,

The joint you mention is far more-pronounced in my picture than is present to the naked eye - the disadvantage of 'forensic' photography!

There is no visible unpainted plastic; it's just a shadow created by pulses of powerful fill-in flash aimed towards the rear of the scene to give even lighting.

LORDPRESIDENT03.jpg.57dd8d6d3c36b68358c0eedd67cf1245.jpg

It's just present here, but nowhere near as evident under photo-floods. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Something I posted on the Hornby P2 new tooling thread a week or two ago:

I was looking at my pair: 2003 and 2005 and thought there was something not quite correct about the front end.

I think I have it spotted it now, on the Hornby models the curve of the running plate from above the cylinders to the front of the loco is too shallow; or put another way the gradient of this slope is too small, resulting in the casing being too deep for most of its length from cylinders to buffers.

On the models, at the front end where the first casing join behind the buffers is, the top of the casing/running plate is about level with the lower door of the 'Cod's mouth', whereas on the real thing (photo of 2006 borrowed below for reference) it is below the level of the hinges on the lower door.

Overall it's a minor thing that may have more to do with Hornby catering for the various combinations of front end on the first two and the production batch of four.

25588141197_551105a298_h.jpg.abef185f7ddcbd6a32a0611e5a0f5d0b.jpg.bc474fcd2f8fea89144d56ebf851cb77.jpg.e1913e0087ede337247ae6c0c66b615f.jpg

The lining could have been finer; the white line between the sloping front and smokebox side is too thick and the boiler bands should have a thicker black band between the white lines.

I will restate that these are minor points and overall the Hornby version is a fine model of an impressive prototype.

Glenn

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Tony,

Thank you for your detailed response.

The A3 tender appears to be down to speed.  The A1 wheel, one of those unexpected things, especially after so many years service, but easily resolved.  As for the P2, the joys of RTR and whoever assembled it.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gr.king said:

I've been comparing my DIY Lord President P2 conversion with images of the Hornby product. Mine may lack a few bolt heads, factory crispness of finish, sufficient turn-under of the valances around and just ahead of the cylinders, and may possibly be lacking two oil boxes on the right side of the running plate (nor sure about those), but on the positive side there is no evidence of an imperfect joint between the parallel and tapered parts of the boiler, the start of the down-curve in the running plate is correctly present behind the cylinder steam pipe covers, the front valances show the faintly discernible edges of the bulge that accommodates the cylinders and they appear to do a better job of enclosing the upper parts of the pony truck wheels (maybe they are in a lower overall position?), the main guard irons are present, additionally all of the mud-hole door covers on the firebox sides are lined out. So I'm still happy to have made one for myself.

STA70964.JPG.265dbdb54ce5e1ccd1b7b6d0e087c9a9.JPG

Good afternoon Graeme,

It's certainly a fine model.

And, I've photographed it on Little Bytham....

P22003.jpg.b92af66483e0c7a79db5e063ea17d6e3.jpg

In company with your own rebuild...........

A2260503.jpg.507557468d05062023a53154ad3764c5.jpg

To make an A2/2.

Grantham1308.jpg.fd2386fd79c0b3584db8a216e69a20b2.jpg

I've also photographed your 2003 on Grantham.

LORD PRESIDENT seems to be a popular choice..........

KsP2.jpg.1f09190d78b0fe807296b129b8cc5235.jpg

Here's a K's kit for one (builder/painter unknown). 

LovelessP208.jpg.ab8deead2b02cb6d5b359f9f988e5e8e.jpg

LovelessP209.jpg.d2a42eea1d76ab730cd754cc92cb97b4.jpg

The 'ultimate' 2003? The Loveless version in O Gauge.

MONSMEGasP2.jpg.ce9123d64632d5dbb10a8ffa7a0d5eb1.jpg

Eric Kidd's K'2 P2.

MONSMEGasA22.jpg.208f8a27ea68cee8aa09e6958211c7ec.jpg

And my version of how I saw MONS MEG.

Some of these will have been seen before, of course, but it could be a thousand pages back or more in some cases!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 18

A question.

Is cyano/superglue really a good solution for joining steel to either brass or plastic?

Motor and gears sitting place on a High Level kits ‘Lo Rider’, before setting them in place.

CL124TP_157.jpg

CL124TP_158.jpg

In the instructions it says to glue the worm gears and also cogs and bushes in place using cyano/superglue.

Is cyano really OK for a brass to steel join? Won’t it dry and fail? I suspect plastic to steel will be better with cyano.

Maybe I have a prejudice against cyano staying stuck in the long run.

I may not be reading the instructions well, but it seems a bit unclear as to how to locate the gear shafts in place. Should I burnish the ends with hammer to spread them a little, or should I glue and pack spacers inside the frame.

Just to say it is a nice kit, and I am maybe over thinking things, or maybe just being a bit dumb.

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Jamiel said:

A question.

Is cyano/superglue really a good solution for joining steel to either brass or plastic?

Motor and gears sitting place on a High Level kits ‘Lo Rider’, before setting them in place.

CL124TP_157.jpg

CL124TP_158.jpg

In the instructions it says to glue the worm gears and also cogs and bushes in place using cyano/superglue.

Is cyano really OK for a brass to steel join? Won’t it dry and fail? I suspect plastic to steel will be better with cyano.

Maybe I have a prejudice against cyano staying stuck in the long run.

I may not be reading the instructions well, but it seems a bit unclear as to how to locate the gear shafts in place. Should I burnish the ends with hammer to spread them a little, or should I glue and pack spacers inside the frame.

Just to say it is a nice kit, and I am maybe over thinking things, or maybe just being a bit dumb.

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Jamie

Cyanoacrylates are used all over the place to glue all sorts of things in far more demanding scenarios than model trains (aviation etc). The issue is usually choosing the right one for the purpose.

For brass to steel a threadlocker like Loctite 243 may be suitable as long as the fit is good enough (anaerobic curing).

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve used a few HL boxes now and my method is to use a little cryno to keep the worm in place, and cut the shafts very slightly over width, so a very small amount sticks out, and just dab a bit of cryno on the outside furthest from the particular gear just to hold them in place as the forces are rotational and not sideways. Are the final drive gears not screw fit now as most of the others are? Much better.

Bob

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I’ve used a few HL boxes now and my method is to use a little cryno to keep the worm in place, and cut the shafts very slightly over width, so a very small amount sticks out, and just dab a bit of cryno on the outside furthest from the particular gear just to hold them in place as the forces are rotational and not sideways. Are the final drive gears not screw fit now as most of the others are? Much better.

Bob

Thanks for that. The cogs don't have the grub screw like the Comet and similar gear boxes I have made before, so the glue will be doing the work there.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jamiel said:

Thanks for that. The cogs don't have the grub screw like the Comet and similar gear boxes I have made before, so the glue will be doing the work there.

I think that your worm wheels must be old stock - I'm pretty sure that they all have bosses and grub screws nowadays.

CJI

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I think that your worm wheels must be old stock - I'm pretty sure that they all have bosses and grub screws nowadays.

CJI

Possibly so, but I did only buy it two weeks ago.

It might be influenced by my choice of gear ratio which is the mid one offered, which might have meant that an old worm had to be used.

I was lucky to get the bogie kit, they have been out of stock for a while, so it was put together for me after I emailed about availability, for which I am very grateful.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

• RMweb Premium

Cyano is fine for fixing the worm but you need to be very careful with the gears on the axles, it can easily creep along and lock the bearings. Personally I hate this sort of thing and would always go for grub screw fastening, I spent many years encouraging Chris to do it with all his gearboxes - maybe the Lorider is still the old design. Another option may be to raise a burr on the axle where the gearwheel fits, you can do this by rolling the axle with a rough file.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

25 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Cyano is fine for fixing the worm but you need to be very careful with the gears on the axles, it can easily creep along and lock the bearings. Personally I hate this sort of thing and would always go for grub screw fastening, I spent many years encouraging Chris to do it with all his gearboxes - maybe the Lorider is still the old design. Another option may be to raise a burr on the axle where the gearwheel fits, you can do this by rolling the axle with a rough file.

Thanks Mike. I had already used glue on the gearshafts. The axel is OK as it is a tight fit. It will be cyano for the worms as you suggest.

Thank you for recommending the 'Lo Rider' bogie, it is a really nice little kit to build.

Jamie