Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Al,

Of course; I'd forgotten you'd bought it. 

And, there are still lots of things here which you've bought as well..............

Regards,

Tony. 

Many thanks, Tony. Pressure of work has precluded a visit this year, despite the best of intentions, but hopefully that will ease in the coming months.

• Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Hollar said:

I've just bought a very nice-looking WD on eBay, powered by a Portescap and described as a runner.   It arrived very well packed and in really good visual condition.

However, on the test track it refused to move and gave off an unpleasant screaming sound.  With a lot of prodding it moved, was controllable and smooth, but still very screamy.  When I tried to switch direction it stopped dead and only moved when given a smart tap in the right direction.  It doesn't move at all on my rolling road, just sits there complaining, so I can't try to run it in.

Does anyone have any suggestion that doesn't involve sending it back and getting a refund?  It looks great but I'm not looking for an ornament.

Tony

Good afternoon Tony,

May I suggest taking the body off and applying current directly to the motor? At the same time as this, make sure that the gearbox is well-oiled. 

Failing that, if it still doesn't work, if you wish, please send it here and I'll look at it for you; possibly even fix it!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

WestCountry01.jpg.53ac27d458a6825e8099431ec866e2cd.jpg

And someone's WC. 

Tony

Don't like to rock the boat but I think that is my 21C134 built from a PDK kit rather than being by Hornby!

I can send you images of Hornby BB & WC locos if needed.......

Tony

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Tony

Don't like to rock the boat but I think that is my 21C134 built from a PDK kit rather than being by Hornby!

I can send you images of Hornby BB & WC locos if needed.......

Tony

Sorry Tony,

I should have realised.

Many thanks, though I do have images of Hornby's original Bulleid Pacifics; it's just that I get too easily muddled up!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Hollar said:

I've just bought a very nice-looking WD on eBay, powered by a Portescap and described as a runner.   It arrived very well packed and in really good visual condition.

However, on the test track it refused to move and gave off an unpleasant screaming sound.  With a lot of prodding it moved, was controllable and smooth, but still very screamy.  When I tried to switch direction it stopped dead and only moved when given a smart tap in the right direction.  It doesn't move at all on my rolling road, just sits there complaining, so I can't try to run it in.

Does anyone have any suggestion that doesn't involve sending it back and getting a refund?  It looks great but I'm not looking for an ornament.

Tony

It could be one of the intermediate shafts has slipped, they can come partly out of the frame plates and the result is a loud screaming noise and not much movement - they can also slide back in and all will be well for a while.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

On the motor gearbox subject, in O gauge we have fantastic helical gearboxes units available from either ABC or MSC (ex Ron Chaplin). Having tried one, I now never use anything else and I’m gradually retrofitting my fleet. They have the Portescap feature of being able to turn the wheels, but the main advantages are the power and quietness. I’m told the helical gearbox is much more efficient and it certainly shows in much lower current draw. I can easily get away with 00 decoders on locos so fitted which saves a bit.

They're not cheap at just over £100, but compared with £50-£75 for a more conventional unit I think they’re good value. I’m surprised nothing similar has been tried in 00.

Andy

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

27 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

On the motor gearbox subject, in O gauge we have fantastic helical gearboxes units available from either ABC or MSC (ex Ron Chaplin). Having tried one, I now never use anything else and I’m gradually retrofitting my fleet. They have the Portescap feature of being able to turn the wheels, but the main advantages are the power and quietness. I’m told the helical gearbox is much more efficient and it certainly shows in much lower current draw. I can easily get away with 00 decoders on locos so fitted which saves a bit.

They're not cheap at just over £100, but compared with £50-£75 for a more conventional unit I think they’re good value. I’m surprised nothing similar has been tried in 00.

Andy

I believe that the Micro Metal Smith arrangement could have been helical.

• RMweb Gold

Taken the plunge on booking a Missenden loco course. Any Christmas money to go on some better tools. Decided better to be shown the right way rather than plough on regardless and stuff up what I am working on.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Andy

The same sort of gearbox is available from Slater's as well, I use these in nearly all my 7mm work.

• Informative/Useful 5

More 'success' today!

Hornbytenderdrive9F.jpg.5b7bbe84494f2d1084abe014b55ea58d.jpg

The jammed-up tender-drive 9F which was left in my care has now been fixed. Well, not the jammed-up chassis (foreground). Take a look at the quartering of the leading driver in relationship with the others. It's at least a spoke out! No wonder it wouldn't roll, and I can't fix it. 

No matter, a friend donated another Hornby non-powered 9F chassis (background), which does roll. Naturally, seeing that jammed-up chassis is off a later Hornby tender-drive 9F (the body seen) it didn't fit the newer body without alteration and rewiring (and much dark muttering!). 

Anyway, my friend (who left the model yesterday) will now have a running 9F, though I wouldn't normally touch this sort of tender-drive nonsense. Why touch it now? £20.00 donated to CRUK. Thanks David and thanks to George for donating the 9F chassis. 

Perhaps the cylinders/valve gear off the dud chassis might be of use to someone. If so, please let me know. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, PMP said:

It very much looks like the jammed chassis has Mazak rot.

C581EB34-2B55-434D-B000-C77624573C01.jpeg.72fe715d47406a4fca8930e73b376a54.jpeg
If so that might be the cause of the jam if the chassis is deforming and breaking up.

Thanks Paul,

I hadn't considered that. It's also gazing skyward at the front end as well!

I'll investigate further. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On to more 'creative' things rather than mucking about with render-drive stuff...............

GCRestaurantCar01.jpg.3b34d7b9ad632b29cd32807553c67301.jpg

GCRestaurantCar02.jpg.d1bdb6a7e45c1524bcb2101bb7212f62.jpg

Alan Rose has sent me the latest 3D-printed carriage created by his son-in-law.

It's a 1911/'12-built GC 'matchboard' dining car.

Other than fitting wheels (not supplied) and altering the bogies' pivot arrangement, this is how it comes; really, a 'kit' made up of five individual pieces! 

I've just got to add some wire trussing, couplings and the buffers (not supplied).

Now, a request please. I've got some Jenkinson/Campling drawings which show the standard GC 'matchboard' corridor stock, but nothing on this catering car. Can anyone help, please with any sources of reference?

How long did they last? Into BR days?

Thanks in anticipation. 

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

On to more 'creative' things rather than mucking about with render-drive stuff...............

GCRestaurantCar01.jpg.3b34d7b9ad632b29cd32807553c67301.jpg

GCRestaurantCar02.jpg.d1bdb6a7e45c1524bcb2101bb7212f62.jpg

Alan Rose has sent me the latest 3D-printed carriage created by his son-in-law.

It's a 1911/'12-built GC 'matchboard' dining car.

Other than fitting wheels (not supplied) and altering the bogies' pivot arrangement, this is how it comes; really, a 'kit' made up of five individual pieces! 

I've just got to add some wire trussing, couplings and the buffers (not supplied).

Now, a request please. I've got some Jenkinson/Campling drawings which show the standard GC 'matchboard' corridor stock, but nothing on this catering car. Can anyone help, please with any sources of reference?

How long did they last? Into BR days?

Thanks in anticipation. 

Someone else may be able to cross-check (e.g. with the Clive Carter BackTrack articles on LNER restaurant and  kitchen cars), but looking at Longworth it looks like a GC 60ft RC to GC diagram 5M3. E577 is recorded as making it to 12/49. Less long-lived than the 5M1 and 5M2(5G4) kitchen cars that would be suitable for Little Bytham.

Regards,

Simon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 65179 said:

Someone else may be able to cross-check (e.g. with the Clive Carter BackTrack articles on LNER restaurant and  kitchen cars), but looking at Longworth it looks like a GC 60ft RC to GC diagram 5M3. E577 is recorded as making it to 12/49. Less long-lived than the 5M1 and 5M2(5G4) kitchen cars that would be suitable for Little Bytham.

Regards,

Simon

Thanks Simon,

Of course, Longworth! 

Looking at that relevant mighty tome, I see that GCR 5M3 is listed as a Barnum, and this carriage doesn't have the end-profile of any Barnum I've previously built (they're almost flat-sided). 

GCRestaurantCar03.jpg.04da1ab8cd4318ab7181f5f95bc2df8b.jpg

Though the window arrangement is identical, this carriage has a tumblehome. In fact, I can't find it in the book other than listed as a Barnum. Unless some Barnums had a tumblehome. Either that, or Longworth has listed it incorrectly as one.

Amazingly (in less than an hour!), it's now complete and ready for painting (probably in plain brown). I substituted complete brass buffers (drilling the resin shanks caused them to shatter), and attached my own couplings.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Simon,

Of course, Longworth! 

Looking at that relevant mighty tome, I see that GCR 5M3 is listed as a Barnum, and this carriage doesn't have the end-profile of any Barnum I've previously built (they're almost flat-sided). 

GCRestaurantCar03.jpg.04da1ab8cd4318ab7181f5f95bc2df8b.jpg

Though the window arrangement is identical, this carriage has a tumblehome. In fact, I can't find it in the book other than listed as a Barnum. Unless some Barnums had a tumblehome. Either that, or Longworth has listed it incorrectly as one.

Amazingly (in less than an hour!), it's now complete and ready for painting (probably in plain brown). I substituted complete brass buffers (drilling the resin shanks caused them to shatter), and attached my own couplings.

Regards,

Tony. 

Unfortunately Longworth has got a bit mixed up with his coach naming at points and so most (all?) the matchboard stock is titled Barnum.  This couldn't be a Barnum coach as there were no catering Barnums, only the TOs and BTOs.

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

45 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Unfortunately Longworth has got a bit mixed up with his coach naming at points and so most (all?) the matchboard stock is titled Barnum.  This couldn't be a Barnum coach as there were no catering Barnums, only the TOs and BTOs.

Simon

Thanks again Simon,

I thought there were only two Barnum diagrams. Yes, too many matchboard carriages are listed as Barnums in the Longworth heavyweight volume.

Regards,

Tony.