Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

On 30/01/2024 at 20:46, Tony Wright said:

Good evening David,

The first Hornby A2/2s in BR green looked really weird. It will be interesting to see what 60502 looks like when it becomes available; eventually.

You might recall, when 60501 first appeared, I spent a little time turning it into 60502.........

HornbyA226050208nowweathered.jpg.692a238a3ef785b9b41a6678cf7e966f.jpg

Extending the smokebox handrails, detailing, renumbering/renaming and so on.

Geoff Haynes' weathering disguised the bilious green to some extent. 

And, on a layout............

HornbyA226050209onlayout.jpg.39afc808a2861c086cac32647b7f31eb.jpg

60502panning.jpg.c38834b96a9d7fb50d93d96efa523fc6.jpg

60502onUpfastgoods01.jpg.ac25229ce24ffcc861c37cbe43b31da7.jpg

I didn't think it looked too bad. 

However, how many A2/2s might a layout need, especially as I've built half the class for LB?

Thus............

York21.jpg.20b3f7d45f1da25c9cf3ab234d84026f.jpg

I sold it to Giles Baxter, where it fits in perfectly on his magnificent rendition of York (though it needs lamps - I didn't sell those with it!). 

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes I remember it well. I brought my 60505 to LB which had similar treatment. I.e weathered. It disgraced itself after a few laps. Not put off I have since aquired 60501. Now running with a late crest and minimal detail differences to date it to 1960 or there about. I'm considering a repaint of that and 60511 but not until the weather in the garden is better (it's where I do airbrushing). 

Edited by davidw

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, westerner said:

Excuse me interupting againb but I have spent the last month or so slightly changing my 0 gauge layout Blackney. I wanted to some of my sort of modelling ie scenery, but the layout is all but finished and I have no room to expand or extend. What to do????

I've got it Make the fiddleyard scenic.

What an inspired idea, and so well executed!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ellis Clark said:

Evening Tony & everyone,

To confirm, we have bought all the DJH OO kits and these are going live on our website clarkrailworks.com.

Unfortunately, we don't have any of their O gauge range and we don't have any plans to manufacture them.

All the best,

Ellis.

Just a little ambiguous, I think. Is it just the O gauge range they don't plan to manufacture or the OO ones as well?

Chas

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Tony,

I wonder when Ellis Clark will announce that they've taken over the DJH kits - not just OO, but the HO and O ones as well, or so I was told earlier. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Regarding the French H0 kits, these have been in the hands of AMF87* for quite some time and AFAIK, they have been producing new kits from the moulds since 2018** with new chassis.

*AMF87.fr

** https://www.amf87.fr/prestashop/93-kits-model-loco-france

"Kits Model Loco France

A partir d'octobre 2018, AMF87 reprend les outillages des kits de locomotives Françaises en HO de la célèbre marque Anglaise rebaptisée pour l'occasion Model Loco France, ces modèles reprennent intégralement les kits Model Loco initiaux améliorés à la sauce AMF87 avec notamment de nouveaux châssis avec motorisation moderne par moteur RSF, train de roues AMF, embiellages à visser... Ces kits vont ressortir progressivement, à terme, les 26 références seront remises en production et de nouvelles déclinaisons des modèles existants seront proposés."

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Having just phoned DJH, I can confirm that all the firm's loco kits, in all scales, have been sold/passed on to Ellis Clark. 

Since I have no contact with the latter firm, I have no idea whether there'll be any new kits or not. 

I suspect that means no more batches of kits made for other suppliers such as those by Steam Era Models or Footplate Models in Australia (such as that NSWGR C35).

Edited by Mark Laidlay
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, Ellis Clark said:

Evening Tony & everyone,

To confirm, we have bought all the DJH OO kits and these are going live on our website clarkrailworks.com.

Unfortunately, we don't have any of their O gauge range and we don't have any plans to manufacture them.

All the best,

Ellis.

Good morning Ellis,

Many thanks.

I wonder why I was told yesterday that you'd acquired the O Gauge range as well?

My normal contact at DJH was in the warehouse, and didn't have his phone, so, I suppose, I just spoke with the receptionist. My apologies if there has been any confusion.

I wish you well with the venture. It goes without saying that if I can be of any assistance in the future (upgrading any kits?) then you only have to ask. 

DJH has hundreds of my photographs of the firm's built loco kits. I don't know whether these images have been passed to you or not. If the latter, I'm more than happy to provide you with them for use in your future publicity/advertising (obviously at no fee). 

Please PM me if I can be of any help.

Kind regards,

Tony. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I cleared a shelf in the back bedroom and found a couple of O gauge Kemilway brass kits.

GNR D277 and LNER D257

I no longer have a need for them because I've moved on to other projects.  I'm posting on WW because I would like to sell them to someone likely to build them and also because a few bits were never provided.  I'm unsure of value but am not out to make a killing.  Bill

• Like 3

Iain.D - Why not leave them "as is" ?

Nothing in real life is perfect, many (most) railway stock in the real world had such dents, dings etc.

A lot has been written regards kit / hand built V RTR stock. Perhaps RTR stuff is too perfect out of the box, hence the weathering "craze". Does anyone add dents and dings to their RTR before weathering ? Probably not many (and certainly not me), but if adherance to prototype is the aim, then perhaps, in some cases, one should.

http://www.westportterminal.de/H0-USA/Diamond_Valley/07-12-25_IMG_2744_1200.jpg

I remember buying a Bachmann green standard class 5 loco from Hattons for around £50. I was going to "Patricroft" it, (mucky, rusty, no front plate etc) but out of the box the model looked so superb - I kept it as is. I do have some weathered, (O & OO) stuff, some factory weathered, some done by me, but most as is out of the box. Not for everyone I agree.

Tony (and others), all your scratch & kit built stuff, expertly painted (and many lightly weathered are superb). At exhibitions such stock stands out from out of the box RTR. Reason - (to me) - the slight "imperfections" - just like the real thing !!!!!

As to Ellis Clark, a firm I have bought quite a bit of N American O gauge from, a very good firm to deal with.

Brit15

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Nothing in real life is perfect, many (most) railway stock in the real world had such dents, dings etc.

A lot has been written regards kit / hand built V RTR stock. Perhaps RTR stuff is too perfect out of the box, hence the weathering "craze". Does anyone add dents and dings to their RTR before weathering ? Probably not many (and certainly not me), but if adherance to prototype is the aim, then perhaps, in some cases, one should.

http://www.westportterminal.de/H0-USA/Diamond_Valley/07-12-25_IMG_2744_1200.jpg

I remember buying a Bachmann green standard class 5 loco from Hattons for around £50. I was going to "Patricroft" it, (mucky, rusty, no front plate etc) but out of the box the model looked so superb - I kept it as is. I do have some weathered, (O & OO) stuff, some factory weathered, some done by me, but most as is out of the box. Not for everyone I agree.

Tony (and others), all your scratch & kit built stuff, expertly painted (and many lightly weathered are superb). At exhibitions such stock stands out from out of the box RTR. Reason - (to me) - the slight "imperfections" - just like the real thing !!!!!

As to Ellis Clark, a firm I have bought quite a bit of N American O gauge from, a very good firm to deal with.

Brit15

Good afternoon,

You pose an interesting question. 

I think it's impossible (certainly for me) to 'replicate' the real thing with regard to 'distressing' and weathering. 

A few examples.............60002dentinfrontend.jpg.231dcb3bba4aa285d085d5607365c400.jpg

Seen before (probably over a thousand pages back), at some point SIR MURROUGH WILSON has had a front end encounter with something.

Did I feature this dent on my model?

60002Bachmann.jpg.08a5f2516b4f30bfaf068b8dd468907c.jpg

Of course not.

60002Bachmanndent.jpg.6f3113d9e93f5b50f06fabb588c06e62.jpg

Though digitally (and not very well!)? 

This has a much-altered Bachmann body, and to put such a dent in its front, because it's plastic, would probably need some local heat. Since such a procedure would ruin Ian Rathbone's lovely painting, it isn't going to happen, no matter how hard I strive for 'accuracy'.

60022studio02.jpg.03b857ed3f768b39d99c124104f1ff4f.jpg

When I completed MALLARD from A Pro-Scale kit (which Ian also painted), I did my best to push and shove the flimsy brass sections into some sort of uniformity (not with complete success).

However,

60022.jpg.847d97ee8fcfb9778b4a249b3a5ccbeb.jpg

On looking at the gleaming real thing, should I have put a few slight creases in the boiler casing? Or not made that cladding band absolutely flush at its bottom? Or have that tender handrail not entirely vertical? 

60037.jpg.64a6a27b97cf7b75899404bdaf56db63.jpg

On building A3s, should I put a crease in the tender side where the front bulkhead is internally attached?

60097.jpg.2b71720ea8a2f6e38e6d6fdd0a83bf60.jpg

Or put horizontal creases in the tender side? 

How many, I wonder, would put streaks of limescale on an ostensibly clean loco? I wouldn't, not on a pro-painted model.

One thing I have contemplated...........

63593bentfrontend02.jpg.73c8a7c69b59e640bf61a04eefcf208f.jpg

Is dropping a model of an O4 on to floor, effectively in a 'nose dive'. Not too far, but just enough to have at least one of its buffers drooping down. This was a very common feature on these sturdy workhorses.

Another common feature is, no matter how dirty a BR loco might be (and from the side this one is anonymous with regard to its identity and ownership), its front numberplate was often clean. 

Please (all) observe copyright restrictions on the prototype photographs.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

NER Dyno' Car Question ;-

Just  a quickie ;- I have ended-up with two of the Rapido Dyno' cars, The first one is of course unlined, so as I don't need two I thought it'd be interesting to return the unlined version to the as-built NER configuration in lined crimson. Livery aside, I'll need to remove the gangways and duckets - as well as fit the earlier NER bogies. Can anyone here suggest where I might be able to source the correct NER bogies please....? TIA

IMG_0046.jpeg

IMG_0047.jpeg

si-1036865.jpg_widthcm-40_heightcm-30_croppedwidthcm-31.9366666666667_croppedheightcm-22_maxdim-1000_8059e0c4-a0dd-4053-b154-214c2ee43d80_1024x1024@2x.jpg.jpeg

Edited by Methuselah
Sp.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon,

You pose an interesting question. 

I think it's impossible (certainly for me) to 'replicate' the real thing with regard to 'distressing' and weathering. 

A few examples.............60002dentinfrontend.jpg.231dcb3bba4aa285d085d5607365c400.jpg

Seen before (probably over a thousand pages back), at some point SIR MURROUGH WILSON has had a front end encounter with something.

Did I feature this dent on my model?

60002Bachmann.jpg.08a5f2516b4f30bfaf068b8dd468907c.jpg

Of course not.

60002Bachmanndent.jpg.6f3113d9e93f5b50f06fabb588c06e62.jpg

Though digitally (and not very well!)? 

This has a much-altered Bachmann body, and to put such a dent in its front, because it's plastic, would probably need some local heat. Since such a procedure would ruin Ian Rathbone's lovely painting, it isn't going to happen, no matter how hard I strive for 'accuracy'.

60022studio02.jpg.03b857ed3f768b39d99c124104f1ff4f.jpg

When I completed MALLARD from A Pro-Scale kit (which Ian also painted), I did my best to push and shove the flimsy brass sections into some sort of uniformity (not with complete success).

However,

60022.jpg.847d97ee8fcfb9778b4a249b3a5ccbeb.jpg

On looking at the gleaming real thing, should I have put a few slight creases in the boiler casing? Or not made that cladding band absolutely flush at its bottom? Or have that tender handrail not entirely vertical? 

60037.jpg.64a6a27b97cf7b75899404bdaf56db63.jpg

On building A3s, should I put a crease in the tender side where the front bulkhead is internally attached?

60097.jpg.2b71720ea8a2f6e38e6d6fdd0a83bf60.jpg

Or put horizontal creases in the tender side? 

How many, I wonder, would put streaks of limescale on an ostensibly clean loco? I wouldn't, not on a pro-painted model.

One thing I have contemplated...........

63593bentfrontend02.jpg.73c8a7c69b59e640bf61a04eefcf208f.jpg

Is dropping a model of an O4 on to floor, effectively in a 'nose dive'. Not too far, but just enough to have at least one of its buffers drooping down. This was a very common feature on these sturdy workhorses.

Another common feature is, no matter how dirty a BR loco might be (and from the side this one is anonymous with regard to its identity and ownership), its front numberplate was often clean. 

Please (all) observe copyright restrictions on the prototype photographs.

Regards,

Tony. 

The cab on Humorist and cab numbers look very slightly angled too in comparison with the straight lines on the boiler and coal rails. They look very slightly down hill towards the back.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I agree, Tony. I've long held the view that almost any attempt to introduce that level of 'real life' to a model will result in a model that looks like it hasn't been built properly or has otherwise been 'abused'.

It's much the same with 'dodgy track'. I wouldn't ever attempt to emulate uneven or undulating track, even if the prototype featured it, because it would probably cause derailments on a model (even with springing or compensation) and would almost certainly look like bad tracklaying...

I take the point about the limescale. Perhaps one could ask the professional painter to put the limescale on at the time of painting?

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, john new said:

The cab on Humorist and cab numbers look very slightly angled too in comparison with the straight lines on the boiler and coal rails. They look very slightly down hill towards the back.

Good evening John,

They do indeed!

I wonder what the response would be if a professional painter was asked to copy that exactly?

What was it Larry Goddard used to say? Piggly numbers? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening John,

They do indeed!

I wonder what the response would be if a professional painter was asked to copy that exactly?

What was it Larry Goddard used to say? Piggly numbers? 

Regards,

Tony. 

I don’t think it’s the numbers which aren’t straight on “Humorist”, it seems to be the whole cab which has subsided slightly. I’ve noted this on a number of A3s and it does seem to be a feature of the class. However if you tried to model this feature it would look very strange on a model and everyone would assume you hadn’t built it properly.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought, and sorry to interrupt the flow Tony, but the more I look at images of all the 04 2-8-0 derivatives going about their business, almost to the end of steam operation, with so little fuss and not much maintenance one has to conclude that Mr Robinson and his team came up with a real gem of a design. I know that they were selected by the ROD for largescale manufacture and class volume aids survivability but even so one of the great designs in my view.

As you observe above, one could often see an 04 with the front buffer beam and running plate pointing towards the track following a smack with something hard so I think you should drop one to create this fairly common damage, after all, the prototype should inform our modelling. Didn't stop them running on and on and I wonder how the other vehicle or stationary object faired? Idle chat I know but all part of our collective memories...

Kind regards,

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Brit15

Hi Brit15, 

I think because if I leave it as it is, it will look odd in relation to the remainder of the vehicle, which will hopefully look okay when complete. I don't feel it would scale down and might look like it was never done properly, and I don't want that. 

That said, it looks better today than it did yesterday!

Kind regards,

Iain

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, sandra said:

I don’t think it’s the numbers which aren’t straight on “Humorist”, it seems to be the whole cab which has subsided slightly. I’ve noted this on a number of A3s and it does seem to be a feature of the class. However if you tried to model this feature it would look very strange on a model and everyone would assume you hadn’t built it properly.

Good afternoon Sandra,

The cab does lean back (as you say, common on A3s - and not just A3s), but I think the numbers lean a teeny bit more.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Going back to the dents and marks on loco's i've almost finished the engine below in 7/8ths, this had a crease in the cladding sheet on the firebox when i bonded the 5thou overlay in place and left it there, while this is meant to be a freelance 0-8-0 miniture railway engine I wanted to give her the typical used on a daily bassis look of a commercial operation as opposed to a stuffed in a museum apperance hense the sublte weathering on panel lines around the cladding and washout plugs.

Steamingtrials(1).jpg.0c2d79016ec77b2b972ba7434c7e374e.jpg

Steamingtrials(4).jpg.dcc2a923e9248d86e04f634d4b7a7005.jpg

and yes its not finished yet ignore the red cable under the cab

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Going back to the dents and marks on loco's i've almost finished the engine below in 7/8ths, this had a crease in the cladding sheet on the firebox when i bonded the 5thou overlay in place and left it there, while this is meant to be a freelance 0-8-0 miniture railway engine I wanted to give her the typical used on a daily bassis look of a commercial operation as opposed to a stuffed in a museum apperance hense the sublte weathering on panel lines around the cladding and washout plugs.

Very nice, but I think the power classification might be a tad optimistic! 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Very nice, but I think the power classification might be a tad optimistic! 😉

I think you can work out where my regional ideas come from...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, John Besley said:

Looks like RHDR number 4, ‘The Bug,’ on steroids.  Lovely work.

Paul

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1