Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Wigan and Leigh are possibly the last bastions of the traditional dialect where older people still use the pronoun "tha" or "t'" (thou) and "thi" (thee) instead of "you", also,"thy" instead of "your"; and "thine" instead of "yours".

English lesson over ---

Brit15

Although in Liverpool: "you" for the singular; "youse" for the plural.

Bill

With regards to model railways I agree that if it "don't run proper".. the rest is pretty secondary.

Having said that I've noticed (and it might just be me) that layout presentation doesn't seem to get the same attention as it used to.

I often quite disappointed and slightly miffed - a lot of the time in equal measure - by great layouts and high quality modelling that has either poor lighting or none at all or isn't framed effectively.. I really think layouts benefit hugely from properly designed fascias and framing. Some do it really well..others don't which is a shame.

Although I disagree with you, Ross, in that I prefer to have my lighting on the layout rather than above it.  I have street lighting, platform lighting and LEDs in many of the buildings, as well as lighting in the stock.  These would be bled out by overhead lighting.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Jol,

I agree that some people do ask some questions to which they could have found the answer very quickly - often a few pages back on the same thread! However I agree with Tony that RMWeb is a fantastic resource, both of information and of knowledgable people and I think it should be a force for good in driving up prototypical accuracy on layouts. I know I wouldn’t have got into accurate train formations if it wasn’t for all the inspirational examples on threads such as this one and PN.

My modus operandi is:

1. google the question;

2. Refer to my book collection; and

3. Ask a question on RMWeb.

I hope that isn’t seen as lazy. I’ve certainly found people very willing to answer my questions, and sometimes the questions can prompt an interesting debate. Quite often point 3 above can lead to an enhancement to 2!

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy

My first place to look for information is my book and magazine collection. Then a goggle search followed by an RMweb or DEMU forum question.

I love going through my books looking for information. Sometimes they are not helpful, I was looking for photos of the signals at Liverpool Lime Street post 1947 resignalling but before the OLE went up. I don't have much on Liverpool's railways and most of what I do have shows the station in more modern times, after 1959/60 when it was electrocuted. I do have a few Eric Tracy albums, and from memory he liked photographing trains in the Liverpool area. He didn't like photographing the signals. I got side tracked looking at his 1960s diesel photos.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Oh no they weren't (well it is the panto season).  Conversion of signal lamps to electric in Cornwall was going on some years before the turn of the century although I don't know when it was completed (or if all signals were done). 

As far as steam era head and tail lamps were concerned, and signal lamps in many instances, you would be lucky to see them at night when they were alight because unless very skilfully trimmed and set the light they gave was pretty dim and virtually invisible in any case at anything other than in a direct 'square on' view.  Incidentally they were also required to be alight when passing through certain tunnels so, for example, an ECML train working through any of the tunnels between London and Edinburgh would have been required to carry lighted lamps whatever the time of day.

Hi Mike

How visible was the light from a paraffin lamp in normal sunlight? As bright as a red LED on a model brake van?

I know with diesel locomotives and their headcode displays most modellers have the light far to bright for a 1960s model. In normal light the bulbs behind the canvas roller blind were not powerful enough to shine through, they illuminated the display in poor light but didn't do an impersonation of the searchlights womanned by 92 Searchlight Regiment Royal Artillery in WW2. 

92 Serchlight Regt RA was Britain's only all female regiment to see active service.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

My first place to look for information is my book and magazine collection. Then a goggle search followed by an RMweb or DEMU forum question.

I love going through my books looking for information. Sometimes they are not helpful, I was looking for photos of the signals at Liverpool Lime Street post 1947 resignalling but before the OLE went up. I don't have much on Liverpool's railways and most of what I do have shows the station in more modern times, after 1959/60 when it was electrocuted. I do have a few Eric Tracy albums, and from memory he liked photographing trains in the Liverpool area. He didn't like photographing the signals. I got side tracked looking at his 1960s diesel photos.

Clive,

A agree that looking through my book collection is enjoyable. On reflection, I think which I reach for first depends on whether I think I may know where to find the information. Some of my books have post it notes with comments like ‘weathered J6’ to make life easier, but I’m not nearly organised enough about this. To take two extremes examples, if I’m looking for a number for a coach side, I turn straight to the brown Harris book, because I know it’s easy to find in there. However if I’m looking for advice on how to mechanise a signal (Tony’s nagging has made me feel guilty!), I’d go for google, because I have no books and no idea how to do it myself.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

that's what I do too and get satisfaction from finding out some interesting stuff in addition to what I might be looking for. Only last night a search for Leon Russell who played in Joe Cocker's USA pickup band Mad dogs and Englishmen led me to Oteil Burbridge who plays with the Tedeschi/Truck band amongst others and then to some Allman Brothers CD's I didn't know about. The search for a UK supplier for these goes on.

Jol

If you haven't already come across it he played with George Harrison and friends on the Concert for Bangladesh and did a brilliant version of Jumpin Jack Flash as well as being part of Bob Dylan's backing band along with Harrison and IIRC Ringo Starr (Not a bad backing band).

Now back to modelling.   I'm hoping that the weak wintry sun warms the shed up enough for me to spray the frames for my 2F before we set off for the UK tomorrow. The spray can is warming up in the kitchen.

Jamie

Talking of tail lamps. Tony references my use of the Modelu lamps. Very happy with these which I've been using over the past year. The fact a slot is already formed saves any drilling out involved.

attachicon.gifDSC03911.jpg

The loco lamps are equally as good!

attachicon.gifDSC04308.jpg

Afternoon Tom,

What a lovely looking train, you have more LMS vans than is often seen on many a layout! Your photograph shows off the distinctive proportions of the LMS van very well, with their high sides and flatter roof. With regard to the locomotive, I would really consider chamfering the edges of the steps to give a finer scale appearance. I think it would also be worth replacing the handrail knobs with something finer, so that they are in sympathy with the other subtle elements of your modeling.

Clive,

A agree that looking through my book collection is enjoyable. On reflection, I think which I reach for first depends on whether I think I may know where to find the information. Some of my books have post it notes with comments like ‘weathered J6’ to make life easier, but I’m not nearly organised enough about this. To take two extremes examples, if I’m looking for a number for a coach side, I turn straight to the brown Harris book, because I know it’s easy to find in there. However if I’m looking for advice on how to mechanise a signal (Tony’s nagging has made me feel guilty!), I’d go for google, because I have no books and no idea how to do it myself.

Andy

Good afternoon Andy,

Mechanising signals?

With particular thanks to Graham Nicholas, the main line signals on LB are driven by Weisseman dampened solenoids. 

They work beautifully, but they are very sensitive and need to be adjusted exactly. 

post-18225-0-79280100-1544971423_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-66614300-1544971441_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-89127700-1544971459_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-33917500-1544971482_thumb.jpg

How they work is explained in my Crowood book. 

• Like 8

Hi Mike

How visible was the light from a paraffin lamp in normal sunlight? As bright as a red LED on a model brake van?

I know with diesel locomotives and their headcode displays most modellers have the light far to bright for a 1960s model. In normal light the bulbs behind the canvas roller blind were not powerful enough to shine through, they illuminated the display in poor light but didn't do an impersonation of the searchlights womanned by 92 Searchlight Regiment Royal Artillery in WW2. 

92 Serchlight Regt RA was Britain's only all female regiment to see active service.

Clive, I agree that most modellers have lighting far too bright on their models. However, look at this Baby Deltic on its way to Ely with the Cambridge Buffet Express, on 25-09-1965. Daylight - and you can (unusually) see the lights behind the blinds, but they certainly aren't searchlights! (I think roller 3 might be missing, not sure). Nor am I sure about the amount of sunlight, but I think it was either around midday or mid afternoon, not in the evening.

Stewart

post-2049-0-02335400-1544972083.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you haven't already come across it he played with George Harrison and friends on the Concert for Bangladesh and did a brilliant version of Jumpin Jack Flash as well as being part of Bob Dylan's backing band along with Harrison and IIRC Ringo Starr (Not a bad backing band).

Now back to modelling.   I'm hoping that the weak wintry sun warms the shed up enough for me to spray the frames for my 2F before we set off for the UK tomorrow. The spray can is warming up in the kitchen.

Jamie

I have visions of a Midland loco red kitchen ceiling in deepest rural France!!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Clive, I agree that most modellers have lighting far too bright on their models. However, look at this Baby Deltic on its way to Ely with the Cambridge Buffet Express, on 25-09-1965. Daylight - and you can (unusually) see the lights behind the blinds, but they certainly aren't searchlights! (I think roller 3 might be missing, not sure). Nor am I sure about the amount of sunlight, but I think it was either around midday or mid afternoon, not in the evening.

Stewart

attachicon.gif06_23_1000_D5901 Chesterton Junction 25-09-1965.jpg

Hi Stewart

It does look like the 3 roller blind is missing. Sticking with Baby Deltics, this photo shows one under the overall roof at Kings Cross, which in the 1960s wasn't the best source of natural daylight. You can just make out in the middle of each figure a slight yellowness where the light is trying to come through. On a model a good set of white on black transfers would be a good representation without any light behind them.

Mike.

That sounds lovely.

• Like 3

Afternoon Tom,

What a lovely looking train, you have more LMS vans than is often seen on many a layout! Your photograph shows off the distinctive proportions of the LMS van very well, with their high sides and flatter roof. With regard to the locomotive, I would really consider chamfering the edges of the steps to give a finer scale appearance. I think it would also be worth replacing the handrail knobs with something finer, so that they are in sympathy with the other subtle elements of your modeling.

Thanks Andrew

Regarding the steps, I generally shave them down with a scalpel, my latest pannier I've gone much further.

Regarding handrail knobs, it's something I considered but for me personally, they do not offend. I knew if I replaced them I'd have to fill the area in as the new knobs would be smaller, plus I have had on occasions found when replacing hand rail knobs that the odd one will have so much super glue that it shears right off, meaning filing and then trying to re drill.

If I was doing one or two panniers, maybe I would have bothered but I'm enjoying recreating most that worked the branch, so....essentially I'd prefer to spend my time elsewhere, and as I say it doesn't offend my eye.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 2

Thanks Andrew

Regarding the steps, I generally shave them down with a scalpel, my latest pannier I've gone much further.

Regarding handrail knobs, it's something I considered but for me personally, they do not offend. I knew if I replaced them I'd have to fill the area in as the new knobs would be smaller, plus I have had on occasions found when replacing hand rail knobs that the odd one will have so much super glue that it shears right off, meaning filing and then trying to re drill.

If I was doing one or two panniers, maybe I would have bothered but I'm enjoying recreating most that worked the branch, so....essentially I'd prefer to spend my time elsewhere, and as I say it doesn't offend my eye.

Tom,

I am confident that one day you will become the master of the etched brass kit and such trifles as drilling out sheared of handrail knobs will become a walk in the park. Incidentally, not a criticism, you may wish to look at the far axle box on the first LMS van, I would hate for it to come adrift. Also the water tank handrail is not located in the cab side sheet stanchion, easily caught on a sleeve and damaged.

Tom,

Incidentally, not a criticism, you may wish to look at the far axle box on the first LMS van, I would hate for it to come adrift. Also the water tank handrail is not located in the cab side sheet stanchion, easily caught on a sleeve and damaged.

Thanks for those pointers Andrew. Sadly I've had some issues with Cambrian chassis and trying to get the W iron/solebar kit square and thus produced that anomaly! It's one I'll try and sort at some point (I really don't like their chassis design). Appreciate the handrail comment, will amend shortly!

Edited by 9793
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

The light from a paraffin tail lamp often wasn't even as visible as the red showing in '9793's Modelu lamps.  In a bit of shadow and really well trimmed and with a properly set flame height it would look verty much like a Modelu lamp when seen square on but the light would often be very easily lost to the viewer at an angle.

To show an example here is a lighted headlamp on a Class 2 train at a station Tony will no doubt recognise waiting to depart for Manchester wheree my then girlfriend and I would be changing to another train to take us on to her home town of Leigh (she attended the local Girls' Grammar and didn't entirely speak like a recent example in this thread but her mother could and sometimes did).

post-6859-0-98249000-1544986131_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 12

Oh no they weren't (well it is the panto season).  Conversion of signal lamps to electric in Cornwall was going on some years before the turn of the century although I don't know when it was completed (or if all signals were done). 

As far as steam era head and tail lamps were concerned, and signal lamps in many instances, you would be lucky to see them at night when they were alight because unless very skilfully trimmed and set the light they gave was pretty dim and virtually invisible in any case at anything other than in a direct 'square on' view.  Incidentally they were also required to be alight when passing through certain tunnels so, for example, an ECML train working through any of the tunnels between London and Edinburgh would have been required to carry lighted lamps whatever the time of day.

Sorry I should have made it clear that I was referring to the last few. The then redundant lampy became a signaller at Goonbarrow Junction.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mike.

Matt black unfortunately.   The spraying has been done and I now have to paint the inside of them vermillion.   However that will have to wait till we get back from the UK before New Year.

Jamie

• Like 1

This morning I managed to take some pictures of the four-span girder bridge I have been working on for some time.

I am afraid that the pictures are poor, even for me, but even the winter sun tends to shine through south-east facing windows!

It looks better with a train crossing.

post-3451-0-47457400-1544993758_thumb.jpg

The bridge is largely made of cereal packets and other thin card. The only directly purchased materials are the 2 x .5 mm brass strip and piano wire for the handrails.

It's not completely finished yet, but I am pleased with the concept and think it will 'fettle up' quite nicely.

I would also like to point out that the train visible consists of two much adapted kits (the A8 and the CL) and two 'chopped up' RTR vehicles (the 3rd and the BCK).

A poor thing, but mine own!

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

With particular thanks to Graham Nicholas, the main line signals on LB are driven by Weisseman dampened solenoids. 

They work beautifully, but they are very sensitive and need to be adjusted exactly. 

Hi Tony,

I'm intrigued by the solenoids referred to in the above post; try as I might I'm unable to find any further info on these... in this case google is no help! Perhaps you could enlighten us as to where these might be obtained?

Thanks.

Adrian

Hi Tony,

I'm intrigued by the solenoids referred to in the above post; try as I might I'm unable to find any further info on these... in this case google is no help! Perhaps you could enlighten us as to where these might be obtained?

Thanks.

Adrian

They are marketed by Gaugemaster.  Try this link: http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=VN4551&style=&strType=&Mcode=Viessmann+4551

Frank

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony,

Thanks.

Adrian

Viessmann part 4551 http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=VN4551 (other suppliers are available). Not cheap but very good.

Edit: Frank beat me to it!

Edited by St Enodoc

The light from a paraffin tail lamp often wasn't even as visible as the red showing in '9793's Modelu lamps.  In a bit of shadow and really well trimmed and with a properly set flame height it would look verty much like a Modelu lamp when seen square on but the light would often be very easily lost to the viewer at an angle.

To show an example here is a lighted headlamp on a Class 2 train at a station Tony will no doubt recognise waiting to depart for Manchester wheree my then girlfriend and I would be changing to another train to take us on to her home town of Leigh (she attended the local Girls' Grammar and didn't entirely speak like a recent example in this thread but her mother could and sometimes did).

attachicon.gif70026 at Tony knows where.jpg

Wonderful Mike,

Thanks for posting.

Bay Platform Number 11 at Chester General. Am I right? 

Regards,

Tony.