Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

What about the colour illustrations in an original Toby the tram engine story from the Thomas the tank engine range. They were drawn at the time and reproduced in colour. I concede that the face is not prototypical but the rest......

Runs, ducks, and hides under cover.

• RMweb Premium

I would be surprised if the J70’s had their own unique shade of brown... at least when the paint was freshly applied. Following this line of thought, other LNER browns may be the most likely possibilities. That would be the bauxite used for brake vans and brakes wagons, or possibly later on, the plain ‘teak’ brown as used on Thompson stock?

Whilst some photo’s clearly show a difference between the timber panelling and the frames, others seem to show a similar tone for both. This may simply be down to accumulated grime... or could all over black have been applied at some point?

• RMweb Gold

I'm guessing you've already seen it, Tony, but there is a bit of info on the GERS site, albeit concentrating on the livery pre-grouping - https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/locomotives/j-holden/c53

One bit that stands out is "One of the regulations for the locomotives operating on street tramways was that they should avoid the use of bright colours, " - wonder how long that was in force at it may explain why buffer beams may have been black during BR time?

Thanks once more for the information on the liveries of the tram locos. 

I must appear to be a bit of an charlatan at times; being asked for information by manufacturers, then getting it from somebody else (many somebodies!). I'm much happier with the LNER bigger stuff, but it's nice to be asked about the more obscure. 

Over the weekend at Doncaster, I was handed some bits for the MR signals for the upper section on Little Bytham. These were being made for me by Mick Nicholson, but the bringer of them had been told 'Tony'll know what to do with these'. I'll, thus, complete them. 

I've done a bit already (adding ladders and finials) but the hard bit of making them operational is yet to come. They're rather splendid, with their scratch-built posts. Thanks, Mick: you must tell me what I owe you. Both are shorter than they should be (to better fit in with the selective compression needed on the MR/M&GNR bit), but they're definitely 'Midland', as they should be for Little Bytham Junction. At the moment they're just worked by Blu Tak and finger, but, since non-working semaphores are a no-no as far as I'm concerned on layouts, then making them work is a priority. 

post-18225-0-52936300-1518617779_thumb.jpg

In this shot, the Down board is off for the passage of an excursion for the Norfolk coast, hauled by a scratch-built Ivatt 4MT.

post-18225-0-65992900-1518617849_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-19908400-1518617865_thumb.jpg

Now it's the turn of the Up starter, allowing a Kings Lynn-Nottingham three-set to proceed westwards on to the single track section to Saxby Junction. The loco is a modified Millholme 2P. 

• Like 14

I would be surprised if the J70’s had their own unique shade of brown... at least when the paint was freshly applied. Following this line of thought, other LNER browns may be the most likely possibilities. That would be the bauxite used for brake vans and brakes wagons, or possibly later on, the plain ‘teak’ brown as used on Thompson stock?

Whilst some photo’s clearly show a difference between the timber panelling and the frames, others seem to show a similar tone for both. This may simply be down to accumulated grime... or could all over black have been applied at some point?

The only 'teak' brown that my Father recalled was after the war, this was a much lighter and glossier shade and really stood out as being quite different from that he was used to seeing. I think that this may have been applied to new stock such as the Thompson deal full brakes and probably the long wheelbase CCT's. I don't no about the Thompson passenger carriages but I suppose they could have been similar prior to the painted teak effect. Most stock etc that the LNER painted brown, though they varied from one to the next, were darker, especially when varnished. His over ridding memory is of a dull muddy brown colour rather like a chocolate digestive that had been left out of the packet for too long.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks once more for the information on the liveries of the tram locos. 

I must appear to be a bit of an charlatan at times; being asked for information by manufacturers, then getting it from somebody else (many somebodies!). I'm much happier with the LNER bigger stuff, but it's nice to be asked about the more obscure. 

Over the weekend at Doncaster, I was handed some bits for the MR signals for the upper section on Little Bytham. These were being made for me by Mick Nicholson, but the bringer of them had been told 'Tony'll know what to do with these'. I'll, thus, complete them. 

I've done a bit already (adding ladders and finials) but the hard bit of making them operational is yet to come. They're rather splendid, with their scratch-built posts. Thanks, Mick: you must tell me what I owe you. Both are shorter than they should be (to better fit in with the selective compression needed on the MR/M&GNR bit), but they're definitely 'Midland', as they should be for Little Bytham Junction. At the moment they're just worked by Blu Tak and finger, but, since non-working semaphores are a no-no as far as I'm concerned on layouts, then making them work is a priority. 

attachicon.gifMR signals 01.jpg

In this shot, the Down board is off for the passage of an excursion for the Norfolk coast, hauled by a scratch-built Ivatt 4MT.

attachicon.gifMR signals 02.jpg

attachicon.gifMR signals 03.jpg

Now it's the turn of the Up starter, allowing a Kings Lynn-Nottingham three-set to proceed westwards on to the single track section to Saxby Junction. The loco is a modified Millholme 2P. 

Ah, now that looks like a proper railway...

The only 'teak' brown that my Father recalled was after the war, this was a much lighter and glossier shade and really stood out as being quite different from that he was used to seeing. I think that this may have been applied to new stock such as the Thompson deal full brakes and probably the long wheelbase CCT's. I don't no about the Thompson passenger carriages but I suppose they could have been similar prior to the painted teak effect. Most stock etc that the LNER painted brown, though they varied from one to the next, were darker, especially when varnished. His over ridding memory is of a dull muddy brown colour rather like a chocolate digestive that had been left out of the packet for too long.

milk or dark chocolate digestive?

milk or dark chocolate digestive?

I would assume milk, perhaps some chalking of the paint was involved? I seem to recall that I was told that it was a mix of red oxide and lead grey, but others may know better, so many myths abound over such things.

On the subject of tram locos, I was fortunate to see these most days at Ipswich in my youth. The body colour was coach brown when recently refurbished but they did not stay that colour for long and soon turned to all over grimy black! The bodies were maintained by Stratford C&W and they used standard brown as applied to the ex GE coaches then still around,

There were there every day on the way to school and then suddenly in 1955 they had gone to be replaced by shiny new Hunslet diesel mechanical things.I think the one at Colchester lasted a bit longer. The East Anglian railway museum have "re created" Toby who is a smart shiny mid brown! (he also has a face!)

Martin Long

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve got a few pics of the tram Locos but none in colour. In the images I have there’s no significant tonal variation in bufferbeam/skirt colour, which leads me to believe the bufferbeam is black. When compared to similar images of the W&U 03’s in similar lighting, the 03 bufferbeam vs skirt/body colour does show a tonal difference which reflects the red bufferbeam of the 03’s vs black skirt and body.

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/WISBECH-UPWELL-TRAMWAY/WISBECH-UPWELL-TRAMWAY/i-vxmpxpR

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/WISBECH-UPWELL-TRAMWAY/WISBECH-UPWELL-TRAMWAY/i-HFDkPNd

Edited by PMP

• RMweb Premium

Phil, could you please tell me where I could find more information about the 'stay alive' function for DC, Thanks, Ray

Ray,

There is quite a lot of confusion about stayalive on DCC. It ought to be a big selling point, but I think is rather underdeveloped, expensive and not well marketed. It can work very well to help short wheelbase locos over short interruptions in power from, for example, insulfrog points. It also works well with sound fitted locos where even a very minor stutter which you wouldn’t notice without sound is very annoying.

I have tried several different versions. From my experience, the TCS version works very well, but is so bulky that you need a big loco to fit it in. Mine sits in a Hornby N2 which I use as station pilot and used to stall regularly. It can now run for over a yard with no power! Far more than is necessary but quite impressive to watch.i have tried the DCC Concepts stayalives. They are useless in my experience and make no discernible difference.I would be delighted to be proved wrong as these would be good value if they worked. I have also tried the you choos super caps (http://www.youchoos.co.uk/QuickHelps/pics/SuperCap68.jpg). These work very well Combined with Zimo sound chips to give very smooth operation. I haven’t yet tried them on non sound locos.

Stayalive shouldn’t be seen as a substitute for good pick ups and track (as I’m sure Sir would remind us), but for locos where no more pick ups are practical and smooth slow speed running over unavoidable short interruptions in power is essential, then I think it has a place, and can really enhance DCC’s ability to allow super slow speed control.

Hope this is useful.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Orthochromatic film reproduces red as dark grey so it's possible the buffer beams were indeed red but tonally rendered very close to the adjacent metalwork.  In any case, the trams look pretty with brown bodywork, black metalwork and red buffer beams. That's how  I've finished my 2mm model.  It's important to use dull red as it looks more natural. I've got a can of Humbrol "signal red" which is close to a brick red. Nothing like what I'd call signal red but perfect for buffer beams.

Things like this highlight the urgent need for a backwards facing time machine.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Quick question - Are "stayalive" capacitors / installations only suitable for DCC users ?. Can they be used on straight DC locomotives with iffy electrical pick-ups ?

Brit15

I believe that Stay alive is a DCC product. It may be possible to do something similar for DC, but I've never seen it discussed.

It may have increased by a multiple of 1.08 or 2.08, but you still cannot have more than 100% of anything.

Just because lazy, sloppy journalists, economists, advertising whizz kids etc etc use the term, it doesn't make it correct.

Mike

In my student apprenticeship days in the 60s, I spent some time in Work Study, where regular tasks were timed with a stop watch.  To these measured times were added various allowances (eg time to go to the  toilet was known as "relaxation time" -2.5% for males, 4% for females) to establish a Standard Time.  Subsequent elapsed times were then compared with this Standard and a performance percentage calculated.  So if a worker didn't consume the allowances - or just worked faster - he/she could well exceed 100% performance. 

Incidentally, I was once told of a work study engineer who married a prostitute. In three months he'd dragged her down to his level........... 

I've had a quick look through my slide collection today. I found 2 that I purchased (Colour Rail, CCQ, or whatever) with tram locos, in BR days, with definite black bufferbeams. One has the early crest, the other is lettered full BR. One is quite grimy near-black body (I'm sure it is weathered brown), the other quite a rich brown and fairly clean.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Pedant mode on.

Tony, as an ex teaching professional, you should know you cannot have more than 100%.

Pedant mode off.

Mike.

Whenever you see a percentage quoted, you must always ask the question, "percentage of what?"

There will be occasions when you are absolutely correct and you cannot have more than 100%.  for example, if 100% of the population  conform to something, you cannot have more than 100%.  The group that consists of 100% cannot be expanded.

There are however many, many occasions where you can have more than 100%.  For example if the average wage for a group is say £26000, anyone earning more than that earns more than 100% of the average wage for the group.

In the two examples population is bounded and cannot be exceeded, wages however are not bounded in the same way.

In Tony's example of wires there are no bounds and it is perfectly possible to exceed 100%. 

I repeat my first statement:

Whenever you see a percentage quoted, you must always ask the question, "percentage of what?"

It will stand you in good stead in cases beyond the trivial example of wires.  If someone offers a loan at 5% interest, 5% of what?  The total amount? The amount you owe at the end of the year? The amount you owe at the end of the month?  The amount you owe tomorrow?

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Like 1

I've had a quick look through my slide collection today. I found 2 that I purchased (Colour Rail, CCQ, or whatever) with tram locos, in BR days, with definite black bufferbeams. One has the early crest, the other is lettered full BR. One is quite grimy near-black body (I'm sure it is weathered brown), the other quite a rich brown and fairly clean.

Stewart

Evening Stewart,

I'm aware of the Colour Rail image you mention of the tram engine that looks black. I didn't no they had a second colour image, do you have a reference number for it? I ask because I have a black and white image of a post war example in a high gloss finish to the upper works. I was pondering if this was the same paint finish used on the long wheelbase CCT's built just before the War. I believe that this was supplied as a gloss finish by the manufactures, as opposed to that used previously, that being a matt mix that required varnishing.

The colour rail slide for those interested. Are the other wagons either side in departmental black?

http://colourrail.co.uk/api/image/medium/d9b6c3d5-fa7e-4f81-b34a-f57be15a1eae

Edited by Headstock

Evening Stewart,

I'm aware of the Colour Rail image you mention of the tram engine that looks black. I didn't no they had a second colour image, do you have a reference number for it? I ask because I have a black and white image of a post war example in a high gloss finish to the upper works. I was pondering if this was the same paint finish used on the long wheelbase CCT's built just before the War. I believe that this was supplied as a gloss finish by the manufactures, as opposed to that used previously, that being a matt mix that required varnishing.

The colour rail slide for those interested. Are the other wagons either side in departmental black?

http://colourrail.co.uk/api/image/medium/d9b6c3d5-fa7e-4f81-b34a-f57be15a1eae

Thanks Andrew,

The image is most-helpful.

The work on this project is progressing at quite a rate, so my answers to the questions I was asked (answered by all those who've helped on here, so thanks once more to all concerned) should allow it to proceed further. I state again, my input is only minimal, and I'm certainly taking no credit. 

One question I was also asked was about the colour of the roofs on these wee trams. Were they, at any time, ever white? I'd be surprised if they were, and even if they were white when brand new or just-shopped, the roofs would surely turn to dark grey after a few trips. 

The commissioning of new RTR models by magazines and retailers seems to be a growing trend these days. What will be next, I wonder? 

As a demonstrator, I'm frequently asked about whether Thompson's Pacifics might one day appear in RTR form. At Doncaster, I had two on display (one complete, one now complete) in need of painting; an A2/2 and an A2/3, both built from DJH kits (with two more A2/2s just started). My answer is always the same; 'Never say never, but I'd be very surprised'. That said, who'd have predicted a few years ago that we'd now have (or soon will have) things like L&NWR 0-8-0s, Coal Tanks, Lanky 2-4-2Ts, SE&CR 0-6-0s and (among others) LB&SCR Atlantics? All of these (certainly in pre-Grouping form) are before the memory of most alive today, yet they seem to be popular. If nothing else, it shows that many (most?) modellers don't always model what they recall, but for those who do (like me), Thompson's big creations were as much a part of the ECML BR steam era scene as anything built by Gresley or Peppercorn. 

When I was helping Bachmann with the research for their Thompson carriages (a modest input), I took along two A2/3 models of mine. One was built from a DJH kit, the other from a King/Bachmann A2 conversion. It was the latter which I thought the firm might be interested in. They borrowed it for some time, after I suggested they examine it and consider a potential RTR example in future. After all, the boiler, dome, bogie, pony, Cartazzi frames, coupled wheelbase, coupling rods, crossheads, slidebars and the whole tender were the same for the A2 as the A2/3, and there were an equal number of real locos. The answer came back eventually, 'No'. And, that was that. 

Though I am by no means a pundit on polls, may I ask if anyone is interested in buying an RTR A2/3 (or A2/2 - the A1/1 and the A2/1s would have no chance?), they contact me, please? On here, if you like. I can then ask again, but don't hold your breath!

If nothing else, the above request shows my hypocrisy yet again; talk about poachers and gamekeepers! Other than acting as an advisor, I have not a great deal of interest in an RTR A2/3. The five I 'need', which are more than enough, I've built/modified (Graeme King did the one conversion, which I completed), and those who manufacture the kits for them (or any other loco kits) should be supported; an RTR example is usually the death-knell for an equivalent kit. However, for those who can't build one for themselves or and/or can't afford to pay someone else to do it for them, then an RTR A2/3 would be the answer for them, wouldn't it? What might the price be, though? Over (well over) £200.00? That'll start some bleating! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

Thanks Andrew,

The image is most-helpful.

The work on this project is progressing at quite a rate, so my answers to the questions I was asked (answered by all those who've helped on here, so thanks once more to all concerned) should allow it to proceed further. I state again, my input is only minimal, and I'm certainly taking no credit. 

One question I was also asked was about the colour of the roofs on these wee trams. Were they, at any time, ever white? I'd be surprised if they were, and even if they were white when brand new or just-shopped, the roofs would surely turn to dark grey after a few trips. 

The commissioning of new RTR models by magazines and retailers seems to be a growing trend these days. What will be next, I wonder? 

As a demonstrator, I'm frequently asked about whether Thompson's Pacifics might one day appear in RTR form. At Doncaster, I had two on display (one complete, one now complete) in need of painting; an A2/2 and an A2/3, both built from DJH kits (with two more A2/2s just started). My answer is always the same; 'Never say never, but I'd be very surprised'. That said, who'd have predicted a few years ago that we'd now have (or soon will have) things like L&NWR 0-8-0s, Coal Tanks, Lanky 2-4-2Ts, SE&CR 0-6-0s and (among others) LB&SCR Atlantics? All of these (certainly in pre-Grouping form) are before the memory of most alive today, yet they seem to be popular. If nothing else, it shows that many (most?) modellers don't always model what they recall, but for those who do (like me), Thompson's big creations were as much a part of the ECML BR steam era scene as anything built by Gresley or Peppercorn. 

When I was helping Bachmann with the research for their Thompson carriages (a modest input), I took along two A2/3 models of mine. One was built from a DJH kit, the other from a King/Bachmann A2 conversion. It was the latter which I thought the firm might be interested in. They borrowed it for some time, after I suggested they examine it and consider a potential RTR example in future. After all, the boiler, dome, bogie, pony, Cartazzi frames, coupled wheelbase, coupling rods, crossheads, slidebars and the whole tender were the same for the A2 as the A2/3, and there were an equal number of real locos. The answer came back eventually, 'No'. And, that was that. 

Though I am by no means a pundit on polls, may I ask if anyone is interested in buying an RTR A2/3 (or A2/2 - the A1/1 and the A2/1s would have no chance?), they contact me, please? On here, if you like. I can then ask again, but don't hold your breath!

If nothing else, the above request shows my hypocrisy yet again; talk about poachers and gamekeepers! Other than acting as an advisor, I have not a great deal of interest in an RTR A2/3. The five I 'need', which are more than enough, I've built/modified (Graeme King did the one conversion, which I completed), and those who manufacture the kits for them (or any other loco kits) should be supported; an RTR example is usually the death-knell for an equivalent kit. However, for those who can't build one for themselves or and/or can't afford to pay someone else to do it for them, then an RTR A2/3 would be the answer for them, wouldn't it? What might the price be, though? Over (well over) £200.00? That'll start some bleating! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Morning Tony,

the tram engine in the photo looks very sooty, you can just make out the remains of the brown paint were the sliding windows have protected it somewhat. If they had A white roof, I wouldn't have thought they would have lasted long.

With regard to the Thompson Pacific's, a locomotive I would very much like to build is the DJH A2/3. However, as very much an occasional type with regard to my own modelling location, the cost of building one these days is quite a deterrent, pushing it well down the list of priorities. Having said that, there is the feeling of 'get one now' before the RTR version comes out, I here that the DJH A3 is no longer available? what a shame. If an A2/3 did emerge from one of the manufactures, then I could be tempted, mainly because a kit built version may never reach the top of my to do list and it is a prototype that did make occasional appearances.

• RMweb Premium

.....The commissioning of new RTR models by magazines and retailers seems to be a growing trend these days. What will be next, I wonder?

As a demonstrator, I'm frequently asked about whether Thompson's Pacifics might one day appear in RTR form. At Doncaster, I had two on display (one complete, one now complete) in need of painting; an A2/2 and an A2/3, both built from DJH kits (with two more A2/2s just started). My answer is always the same; 'Never say never, but I'd be very surprised'.....

I too have wondered about this. If retailers can commission new products, then so can individuals, if they have they funds to put up, have access to the necessary research sources and are prepared to put in the time and effort involved. Philip Sutton has done this with his Sulzer Type 2 project, and others may follow. I think any major manufacturer considering the A2/2 and 2/3 will probably have a more commercial eye on the ROI and want something with a more mass market appeal to get the early volume sales their commercial business model requires. An individual may take a longer term view, and be happy with getting the ROI over a longer period... especially if they have the personal fulfilment of a product that means a lot to them. Certainly this is not something for the faint hearted, but it can be done.

A halfway house might be for an individual to liaise with a retailer or magazine to commercialise a product. If you have done much of the research and they have the connections and know-how, then who knows what could be achieved. If you are seriously considering the A2/2-3 then approaching the likes of Hattons or Kernow may be more fruitful than going direct to the big manufacturer. Newcomers like Accurascale are also canvassing re: suitable British prototypes to introduce, and Rapido and DJ models also work with retailers in this way.

An easier step requiring less risk would be for an individual to work with a manufacturer to produce a variant of an existing model, much in the way that Rails have done with their ‘semi’ version of Hornby’s Princess Coronation Class. Even simpler, would be for an individual to commission a new livery version of an existing model, for example a 1950’s blue A3 would be commercially viable - I am sure that a run of 250 or even 500 would sell. (These volumes are what appear to be the norm for retailer commissions of existing models). Mickleover MRG have recently commissioned Bachmann to produce a ‘large arrow’ Class 37 for them - another sign that things are moving in this direction.

I think we will see much more of this in the future.

Phil

Edited by Chamby

If nothing else, it shows that many (most?) modellers don't always model what they recall, but for those who do (like me), Thompson's big creations were as much a part of the ECML BR steam era scene as anything built by Gresley or Peppercorn.

Although, like yourself, there is probably a fair rump of the enthusiast market who do like to purchase models of trains they recall and enjoyed seeing and riding.

That said, it was mentioned at one of the Bachnmann 2018 range launch roadshows, that the best sellers (and probably more so for N gauge as that is the sector I'm interested in) were brightly coloured trains, namely 'modern' and 'pre-grouping' eras stock. Apparently youngsters appreciate and identify with them. Nothing is ever straightforward and simple in the market analysts world.

At least modellers don't have to wait for RTR models to be produced and can get on with making what they want, regardless of the market sector it is pigeonholed in.

G

Edited by grahame

• RMweb Premium

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

If you'd asked me this 2 years ago it would have been a resounding YES. However, now that I have one of each A2 variant, with a Graeme King A2/3 still to build, I'm not so sure. Selfishly I rather like the exclusivity of having the kit built versions, even if I only built one (largely) myself. I think Bachmann (or whoever) should be encouraged, so I'm sure I'd have one, and £200 is cheap compared to the price of a DJH kit, even if you build it yourself. In practice, I would do what I always do with new releases and wait a few months until the price had dropped a bit.

Now if you asked me about an A1/1, then it would still be a resounding yes!

Regards

Andy