RMweb

Hi all,

Apologies for delay, I just could not load up any photos last night. James (PeachJames) just gave me a tip and it seems to have solved the issue, so here goes....

post-5296-0-64875700-1398018802.jpg

Initial piece of foam in place, a monumental moment for Dent!

post-5296-0-51125000-1398018809.jpg

Bit of a cutting taking shape

post-5296-0-62350000-1398018816.jpg

Had to position the platforms and complete some of the detail on them before continuing too far with the hillsides

post-5296-0-86429800-1398018822.jpg

post-5296-0-13112400-1398018829.jpg

Having given a FRIEND some 'bendy ply' which would have been ideal for this job, I had none left so had to compromise

post-5296-0-93950100-1398018836.jpg

General overall view with platforms in position

post-5296-0-52327200-1398018843.jpg

Main foam placed in position

post-5296-0-15496700-1398018850.jpg

Continuing the cutting

post-5296-0-45161100-1398018858.jpg

Needed to fit the Bridge faces over what will be 'Monkey Beck' before  went too far!

post-5296-0-16319600-1398018865.jpg

This was state of play last night, more done today but will have to post tomorrow .....

It makes a pleasant change away from electrics and trackbuilding, so will probably get close to completing this board then go back to some mundane tasks as they still need doing.

• Like 12

Cheers guys, I don't know about stunning! Its me that's doing this and I've decided to model it in typical S&C weather, you know the kind of thing, mist, fog, rain etc. so all pics from now on may well be sort of grey and more grey, howzat!

• RMweb Premium

Cheers guys, I don't know about stunning! Its me that's doing this and I've decided to model it in typical S&C weather, you know the kind of thing, mist, fog, rain etc. so all pics from now on may well be sort of grey and more grey, howzat!

Mike, I think the technique you are referring to is called "artistic licence"!  And I'm all for it. Choose your angles to highlight the good bits and obscure the bad..... Use depth of focus to concentrate the mind on your best bit of work, ignoring the not-quite-so-good bit!

Not that we expect anything sub-standard on Dent, of course.

Please make it really good. I may need some ideas for KL2!!

Jeff

post-5296-0-72107600-1398107584.jpgHi all,

A few more 'colourful' pics for your delectation...

post-5296-0-43744600-1398104356.jpg

Bridge sides for Bridge 96 under which runs Monkey Beck, the source of water for Dent station and station masters house TO THIS DAY, (my wife would never put up with this, so that's one less mouth to feed if I ever buy it!

post-5296-0-16638600-1398104371.jpg

This is the underside of B96

post-5296-0-68007600-1398104402.jpg

Attach a small timber strip to prevent collapse of tunnel shape

post-5296-0-89588600-1398104385.jpg

Underside in position

post-5296-0-17034400-1398104416.jpg

The bridge sides glued and clamped in position

post-5296-0-67913400-1398107578.jpg

View from the front side

post-5296-0-72107600-1398107584.jpg

View from the rear

post-5296-0-31492400-1398108049.jpg

B96 with coping stones in position and generally complete.

• Like 11

Hi all,

A couple of errors on the last post because I can't see the thumbnail clear enough but I'm sure you get the general idea.

To finish this weekends work....

post-5296-0-72260800-1398108356.jpg

Monkey Beck runs under the access road to the station and the bridge is in stone rather than brick as is B96.

I started with some 0.040" plasticard and mounted the basic outline over it in Wills Dressed Stone. Then it was the arch segments which were cut from various offcuts and applied separately.

post-5296-0-60488100-1398108364.jpg

Similar underside to B96

post-5296-0-74946700-1398108400.jpg

A little more work done on the sides and almost ready for fitting

Some general views of the end result....

post-5296-0-82200700-1398108407.jpg

post-5296-0-69881000-1398108414.jpg

post-5296-0-34546500-1398108421.jpg

post-5296-0-34639900-1398108443.jpg

post-5296-0-10252900-1398108435.jpg

That will be it until the weekend (so you can cancel your alarm call Andy) :jester: :jester:  :jester:  

• Like 13

attachicon.gifSNV31324.jpgHi all,

A few more 'colourful' pics for your delectation...

attachicon.gifSNV31314.jpg

Bridge sides for Bridge 96 under which runs Monkey Beck, the source of water for Dent station and station masters house TO THIS DAY, (my wife would never put up with this, so that's one less mouth to feed if I ever buy it!

attachicon.gifSNV31315.jpg

This is the underside of B96

attachicon.gifSNV31317.jpg

Attach a small timber strip to prevent collapse of tunnel shape

attachicon.gifSNV31316.jpg

Underside in position

attachicon.gifSNV31318.jpg

The bridge sides glued and clamped in position

attachicon.gifSNV31321.jpg

View from the front side

attachicon.gifSNV31324.jpg

View from the rear

attachicon.gifSNV31329.jpg

B96 with coping stones in position and generally complete.

I don't know, give him an inch and he takes a mile. brilliant pic all the same.

Hi all,

A couple of errors on the last post because I can't see the thumbnail clear enough but I'm sure you get the general idea.

To finish this weekends work....

attachicon.gifSNV31319.jpg

Monkey Beck runs under the access road to the station and the bridge is in stone rather than brick as is B96.

I started with some 0.040" plasticard and mounted the basic outline over it in Wills Dressed Stone. Then it was the arch segments which were cut from various offcuts and applied separately.

attachicon.gifSNV31320.jpg

Similar underside to B96

attachicon.gifSNV31325.jpg

A little more work done on the sides and almost ready for fitting

Some general views of the end result....

attachicon.gifSNV31326.jpg

attachicon.gifSNV31327.jpg

attachicon.gifSNV31328.jpg

attachicon.gifSNV31331.jpg

attachicon.gifSNV31330.jpg

That will be it until the weekend (so you can cancel your alarm call Andy)

Seriously Mike, that's going to be some Layout when its finished, the Station and Platform area look enormous.

Just brilliant :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: and thanks for the pics, just like a Bus, you wait ages and then ************* :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

EDIT TO DELETE YOUR SMILIES, hahha

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Mike, you'll probably be aware of the changes I've planned for the Fell in KL2. A LOT less plaster and the extended use of insulation board. No more Fell with a mass approaching 150kg - though the gargantuan supports will still be there!

Your photos illustrate the sense of using foam board. And it's nice to work with. Good work - look forward to the next installment.

Jeff

Hi Guys,

Andrew....'Edit to delete your smilies' ....WHAT! I worked hard for those Andy, its as close I'll ever get to ANOTHER Blue Peter Badge :beee:  :beee:

Jeff, sounds like you've seen the light re: Mass -v- Easy Option! This method may work out a bit more expensive if like me (and you) you have a large area to cover with a decent depth it can run away with the foam but it does save on all that form making and fiddly lumps to hide - you know it makes sense (I'm ignoring the gargantuan jibe! :nono: )

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys,

Andrew....'Edit to delete your smilies' ....WHAT! I worked hard for those Andy, its as close I'll ever get to ANOTHER Blue Peter Badge :beee:  :beee:

Jeff, sounds like you've seen the light re: Mass -v- Easy Option! This method may work out a bit more expensive if like me (and you) you have a large area to cover with a decent depth it can run away with the foam but it does save on all that form making and fiddly lumps to hide - you know it makes sense (I'm ignoring the gargantuan jibe! :nono: )

I KNEW you'd ignore the "hook" - that's why I didn't go on about 10" x 8" supports etc.....

As for the foam board. I used around 30 8' x 4' boards of the stuff insulating the walls of the garage conversion. When it came to building the hillside I hadn't a single scrap of the stuff left. I won't make that mistake again!

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Listen carefully, Andy & Jeff. I can read between those painful lines of text that your are both tearing your hair out (you've gone a bit too far Andy - just like me!) having no layout to work on so my master plan is to farm off the wife for a couple of weeks whilst I let you both loose on Dent. I'll be at work of course but there are plenty of inspirational photos around the den for you follow TO THE LETTER ... I don't want any brash changes and 'what might have been' ideas on this project. So when can you start?

As an aside. I bodged up a 100w soldering iron today to make a foam cutter in best Blue Peter fashion, whilst it works well with polystyrene its pretty useless on this kingspan board, anyone got any ideas - please?

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Listen carefully, Andy & Jeff. I can read between those painful lines of text that your are both tearing your hair out (you've gone a bit too far Andy - just like me!) having no layout to work on so my master plan is to farm off the wife for a couple of weeks whilst I let you both loose on Dent. I'll be at work of course but there are plenty of inspirational photos around the den for you follow TO THE LETTER ... I don't want any brash changes and 'what might have been' ideas on this project. So when can you start?

As an aside. I bodged up a 100w soldering iron today to make a foam cutter in best Blue Peter fashion, whilst it works well with polystyrene its pretty useless on this kingspan board, anyone got any ideas - please?

Mike I'm up for it, I have my Hot Glue Gun poised and Network South East 50 and 33's at the ready.

Platform with Coffee vending machines, replace the track with Hornby set track NAILED through the middle and do away with all that wiring and go back to push pull, hhahhhahha. :no: :no: :no: :no:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

VERY kind of you, Mike!

Beware of Bodge and that hot glue gun though!

As for cutting Kingspan. I found a small handsaw was good for general cutting and the meat knife was employed for smaller-scale work. I didn't use any hot-cutting at all.

Jeff

Either angle grinder with a chainsaw blade, or riffing blade, or a really coarse belt on a belt sander (I'm using a 3x21 belt sander, with high density polystyrene foam, sold as "Dow Styrospan SM" over here)

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=42528&cat=1,130,43409,43424&ap=1

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=69808&cat=1,130,43409

James

• Like 1

Hi Guy's

Cheers re: above, as always the humour is at the forefront..........Oh! It serious.

Andy I can allow the class 50 if you give it a re-paint into pre-tops (proper condition) and request the D444 identity, the class 33 will require some alteration to convert it to a 26 or 27, not too difficult for a man of your ability.

Jeff, Have used the items you mention but was hoping the hot wire cutter would finish off for a smoother curvature type finish, but alas no!

James, I don't possess any of the listed items so I will use my propane torch and form a shape with a plastic spatula instead!

LOVE IT!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guy's

Cheers re: above, as always the humour is at the forefront..........Oh! It serious.

Andy I can allow the class 50 if you give it a re-paint into pre-tops (proper condition) and request the D444 identity, the class 33 will require some alteration to convert it to a 26 or 27, not too difficult for a man of your ability.

Jeff, Have used the items you mention but was hoping the hot wire cutter would finish off for a smoother curvature type finish, but alas no!

James, I don't possess any of the listed items so I will use my propane torch and form a shape with a plastic spatula instead!

LOVE IT!

Beware of the fumes produced..... They can induce euphoric and hallucinatory responses, leading you to be convinced that you've actually done a good job with the cutting!

For 100% safety, put on your oxygen mask (the one you have with your scuba gear) and, standing 2 metres away, ignite your flame thrower and play the end of a hot blue flame across the Kingspan surface.

That should change the shape of the b*****d!!   :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

If it's an open ended request for Lunesters to build your layout for you whilst you work ( :D ), I am not too good at the green stuff (hence why I modelled a town) but I am more than willing to chop your Black Five's about whilst Jeff triples the thickness of all your woodwork and Andy accidentally glues your cat to the crossover with his hot glue gun, whilst hallucinating from the aforementioned fumes)

If it's an open ended request for Lunesters to build your layout for you whilst you work ( :D ), I am not too good at the green stuff (hence why I modelled a town) but I am more than willing to chop your Black Five's about whilst Jeff triples the thickness of all your woodwork and Andy accidentally glues your cat to the crossover with his hot glue gun, whilst hallucinating from the aforementioned fumes)

I sputtered out my coffee whilst reading that - cheers Jason! :)

Wunderbah! Mine Herren, what more can I say apart from Jeff's getting nowhere near MY woodwork, I throw less in the skip each week than he used for KL1! (he's not listening is he? Nice chap that Jeff.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And you thought you'd get away with a serious thread, Mike?

No chance with "us lot" around! Yes, I think I'm a nice chap - but I still like my wood to be overengineered.

And John, have you tried high explosives? It'd produce a very good weathering effect, I think. That is - 10 thousand years compressed into a second or less!

Mike - just ignore us. The proof of the layout is in the doing, and your doing a cracking job!

Wee Jeff - och, that nice man from Stockton.....

Hi all,

Keeping my promise here are a few update photos to show state of play to date.

Spent a few evenings preparing some of the hillside features, then spent another few fettling them again and again.

post-5296-0-20991800-1398622265.jpg

Overall view of the initial setting which required quite a lot of work

post-5296-0-80765300-1398622274.jpg

Same again with close-up of platform

post-5296-0-19398800-1398622283.jpg

Trackside view, note platform is not fixed!

post-5296-0-39674700-1398622291.jpg

The course of Monkey Beck as it passes below the line and access road

This was state of play as I left it yesterday evening....

Edited by mike61680
  • Like 7