Evening Mike, my first thought is that the colour is very good, Some bits of Moss here and there and some green on ledges it will be bob on mate.

However I do have one small concern and that is shown up in pics 4 and  5, the grass in the right hand bank in particular this side of the Viaduct appears to follow the land contour under the overhang, and therefore the grass appears up side down.

Now this may be my eyes or just a optical illusion, please put me out of my confused misery.

I do like the overall effect though and I bet your glad you decided to to it.

All the best and more pics please mate.

Cheers.

Now you have me confused Andy, I can't see what you mean mate, do you mean its under the viaduct arch? Anyway the grass which is there now will all but be hidden once the Static stuff is applied and a few bushes etc. This mix is just ground cover for now.

• Like 2

Hi all,

Now you are all used to seeing some scenic work I am having a drastic change of plan and all the scenic stuff has been sidelined in favour of completing the fiddleyard trackwork and electrics. Oh NO I hear you cry, no more grass for a while, sorry but the mood has turned and I'm going to get this lot running once and for all. From now on for a while most pic's will be of track and wiring AGAIN----BORING I know.

• Like 3

Now you have me confused Andy, I can't see what you mean mate, do you mean its under the viaduct arch? Anyway the grass which is there now will all but be hidden once the Static stuff is applied and a few bushes etc. This mix is just ground cover for now.

Hi Mike, no its the ripple coming down from the right of the Tunnel mouth down to the river, a couple of ripples appear to go itself.

Hi all,

Now you are all used to seeing some scenic work I am having a drastic change of plan and all the scenic stuff has been sidelined in favour of completing the fiddleyard trackwork and electrics. Oh NO I hear you cry, no more grass for a while, sorry but the mood has turned and I'm going to get this lot running once and for all. From now on for a while most pic's will be of track and wiring AGAIN----BORING I know.

Yes yes mate more wiring please, whilst I cant see that well, then back to proper scenics in a couple of Months maybe, hahhahaaaaaeeeeeee.

Bodge

Yes yes mate more wiring please, whilst I cant see that well, then back to proper scenics in a couple of Months maybe, hahhahaaaaaeeeeeee.

Bodge

Hi Andy,

Nope, still can't see what you see but trust me the grass is going the right way! Love the quip about doing the wiring while your eyes get back to normal, of course I planned this wiring sojourn just for you.

Mike,

It's your model - do what you feel suits you. I'm interested in the wiring and fiddle yard in any case and relish the chance to see all of these Jubes that Jeff told me about actually running! Isn't it great to have Andy back keeping everyone on their toes?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi guy's,

Andy, great to see you back badgering me! 'WHAT' I hear you say 'Been away all this time and still no GRASS!!!!' well no there's not. Humn!

I've been in deliberation mode for most of the week over my 'rockery'. I've always tended to favour Humbrol No.84 as a close match to good old Yorkshire stone and gave my rock face a liberal coating of a good matchpot made to order but then looking at photo's of the area more closely I tend to think around Dent the rocks are more various grey shades, so with that in mind and a tin of Halfords primer plus some matt black I have attacked it today, see below and let me know what you all think so far.

attachicon.gifSNV31451.jpg

First task was to mask off other areas. Note I did try the riverbed area as a test.

attachicon.gifSNV31452.jpg

Next I started spraying the old colour, checking beforehand that the paint did not react!

attachicon.gifSNV31453.jpg

Everything now white primer

The next few views shows the results of hours of dry-brushing with matt black to get the desired effect

attachicon.gifSNV31454.jpg

attachicon.gifSNV31455.jpg

attachicon.gifSNV31456.jpg

attachicon.gifSNV31458.jpg

The last two show the 'driver's eye views'

attachicon.gifSNV31457.jpg

Southbound

attachicon.gifSNV31459.jpg

Northbound

I think with a little more attention and the addition of some GRASS and a few bushes the area should look ok. The tunnelmouth will eventually look like the viaduct and should hopefully blend in, opinions welcome!

Hi Mike,

I think the rock looks great, and I am very much looking forward to seeing the quarry with a bit of grass and moss etc (though I know you're switching to electrics for a while). I also really like the viaduct. But with the two I have a question (as someone who has only been along the line once, so from ignorance!) would the builders not have used the locally quarried stone, with your new colour, for the viaduct? Or are we assuming it's not hard enough for such work, so they brought the brown stone in?

Regards and admiration, Neil

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

I think the rock looks great, and I am very much looking forward to seeing the quarry with a bit of grass and moss etc (though I know you're switching to electrics for a while). I also really like the viaduct. But with the two I have a question (as someone who has only been along the line once, so from ignorance!) would the builders not have used the locally quarried stone, with your new colour, for the viaduct? Or are we assuming it's not hard enough for such work, so they brought the brown stone in?

Regards and admiration, Neil

Hi Neil,

That is the sort of assumption I am using as the stone walling around those parts is all very light grey yet none of the railway structures are apparently made from this, there is a quarry just north of Dent which shows this colour rock and that was my inspiration.

• Like 3

Hi all,

Nothing done today as I was helping a mate with his new den build.

However I thought I would place the board back in position and post a few 'staged' photo's to keep you all happy for a week or so..........

They are all just general views but remember the brown areas have yet to be grassed over.

post-5296-0-47925400-1403465849.jpg

post-5296-0-71304000-1403465857.jpg

post-5296-0-00177900-1403465866.jpg

post-5296-0-86646700-1403465874.jpg

post-5296-0-89504400-1403465883.jpg

post-5296-0-04865200-1403465898.jpg

Hope you like

• Like 17

Hi Mike looks good you have captured the s&c well. The layout looks stunning just showed a mom (mobile opps manger ) who works up to dent and he was saying it looks amazing keep them pics comming.

How do the locos cope with the spiral fiddle yard any loss of traction.

Mark

Edited by mark axlecounter

Hi Mike looks good you have captured the s&c well. The layout looks stunning just showed a mom (mobile opps manger ) who works up to dent and he was saying it looks amazing keep them pics comming.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Spirals and Traction............well if you go back several pages you will find that I built BOTH spirals before I bothered to test them out, I then found very few steam loco's would take a decent sized train up the gradient. Both spirals were dismantled and an 1150mm straight section added between the ends giving approximately a 1:75 gradient on which most steam loco's tested so far manage reasonably well but admittedly variable performance from even the same make and class of loco. The diesels however have no problem, perhaps I should just go Modern Image!

• Like 1

Mark

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47105471@N05/8464281170/

There's a MOM under the S&C...mine !

James

• Like 2

Morning Mike,

Now, the 'MOM' will take a bit of skilful modelling - one you daren't get wrong! Love the 'full length' trains you can run on such gentle curves, it really is going to look superb. I won't mention the grass in deference to AndyP!

Kind Regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wow, Mike, I've just seen these latest pictures - it's looking absolutely superb! 

Is that grass matting you've used?

I think it's flock on top of modroc that Mike fixed over the insulation board. Though I could be wrong....

Jeff

Morning Mike,

Now, the 'MOM' will take a bit of skilful modelling - one you daren't get wrong! Love the 'full length' trains you can run on such gentle curves, it really is going to look superb. I won't mention the grass in deference to AndyP!

Kind Regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock,

Cheers mate, I won't be modelling the Mom, luckily for me that's a job for James.

re: the gentle curves...........its all an illusion unfortunately, just look at the spirals! I really would have loved to have close coupled trains but with those spirals its pretty impossible I'm afraid.

Wow, Mike, I've just seen these latest pictures - it's looking absolutely superb! 

Is that grass matting you've used?

Hi Freebs,

Jeff has been paying attention! (its the teacher in him you see - say nothing!)

No its not a grass mat, its carved insulation board covered with two layers of Mod-roc then painted an earthy brown base colour with a hand made blend of several flock shades to act as a base cover prior to finishing with static grass and the like. The lines you can see may have you thinking along the mat lines but these are carved into the insulation board to form 'shelves' which are a feature of Dent along the snow fence lines.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Freebs,

Jeff has been paying attention! (its the teacher in him you see - say nothing!)

No its not a grass mat, its carved insulation board covered with two layers of Mod-roc then painted an earthy brown base colour with a hand made blend of several flock shades to act as a base cover prior to finishing with static grass and the like. The lines you can see may have you thinking along the mat lines but these are carved into the insulation board to form 'shelves' which are a feature of Dent along the snow fence lines.

I try my best, Mike. And it's probably the scientist in me that makes me pay attention to what's going on.

However you seem to be doing a great job, whatever method you're using.

Jeff

Hi Mike, cant read much but I'm sure its all coming on well, look forward to more pics over the next week or two, even if its wiring.

Look after yourself mate, and keep taking the tablets, hhahhaha.

Bodge

Hi all,

Weekly update as normal. Following my shock change of plan last week I have indeed concentrated on the trackwork on the left hand fiddleyard board and have managed to complete all the track on this section............

post-5296-0-65345900-1404066961.jpg

post-5296-0-18385300-1404066972.jpg

post-5296-0-71639900-1404066983.jpg

post-5296-0-78397400-1404066993.jpg

In addition to doing the track I have also done most of the wiring back to the tag strips, the only wiring now left to do is the connections to the point motors once they are fitted.

post-5296-0-03711700-1404066884.jpg

Also, my good lady has been busy adding some detail to the quarry scene.....

post-5296-0-53428100-1404066896.jpg

post-5296-0-66143300-1404066909.jpg

post-5296-0-65336700-1404066925.jpg

post-5296-0-37394100-1404066941.jpg

Hope you like!

• Like 10

Mike,

That wiring is a lesson to all beginners in how to keep it neat. I've seen so much 'spaghetti' in the past which simply makes remedial work much more difficult! How lucky you are to have a 'good lady' with the interest and skill to help - I don't think Joanna will come near when I finally get going! Look forward to the next set of photos, I'm sure that I am not the only one to draw inspiration from your efforts, thank you and,

Kind regards,

Jock.